cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update option in the latest version of Zoom is missing

Joseph140
Attendee

I used to click on the photo on the top right-hand corner and a dropdown box would include an option for checking for updates.  I cannot find that function anywhere.  Does anyone have the same experience?  Does anyone how to do updates now?  Thanks in anticipation for your help. Cheers Joseph

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Joseph140
Attendee

Hi Dick

Joseph140 here.   As above, confirming that I have had no further issues after I uninstalled and re-installed Zoom.  The Update function is back where it used to be.  All the best.

View solution in original post

C_R
Listener

Hello All and Future Readers,

I'm sure there is a thread in Zoom's support somewhere that breaks down what features are and aren't available when installing the .MSI (Admin version for controlled updating) and .EXE (End-user self-managed version). Both can be installed by anyone granted they have privilege's to install programs on their device.

That said, if the .MSI version is installed, it's a hit or miss as to if that will allow one to see the "Check for Updates". That is a setting control your place of business Zoom Admin has to allow . I have the .MSI installed on my computer but every so often, that option disappears and its because by default, in the Admin portal, it is disabled. The .EXE version will always be there, unless Zoom accidently breaks it with an update (has only happened once that I can recall).

Another difference between the Zoom.exe installer vs the Zoom.msi installer is:

- The .EXE version is user profile specific. Meaning if it is a shared computer with multiple users, one profile only will have it installed and working. There are some exceptions to this but are based on company domain policies and if every current user installed it under there profile (unless Zoom has changed that).

- The .MSI version will be installed for all users (current and future accounts created from when logging into that computer)

The easiest way to determine which version you have is simple. (note: %root% is the local disk c:, d:, e:, etc. or whatever your local disk drive letter is. Typically it will be "C:".)

- Right-click on the Zoom desktop shortcut and select "Properties"

- In the "Target" filed, if it is "%root%\Users\%username%\AppData..." it is the .EXE version

- In the "Target" filed, if it is "%root%\Program Files\Zoom..." it is the .MSI

- In the "Target" filed, if it is "%root%\Program Files (x86)\Zoom..." it is the .MSI

I hope this helps clear this up for all.

C_R

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

_ZoomUser_
Participant

I still have that update button... Maybe install and uninstall Zoom again

Hi and thanks for confirming your update function is still there.  On that basis, I did uninstall re-install.  It now works again.  I noted the version of the old install was still 9.x while the new one is 10.x

All good now, cheers

DickScheel
Listener

I am running version 5.10.1 (4420). It does not have the Update menu option, as described in this discussion thread. Zoom has a support article that says to update by either clicking on the (non-existent) Update menu selection, or just download the current version from the Zoom website. I tried downloading, which gives me the file ZoomInstaller.exe. However, when I run that exe file, all it does is open my current version Zoom app, rather than downloading the updated version!

After posting this, I uninstalled the Windows app from my PC. Then, I ran ZoomInstaller.exe again. This time, it installed the current version (5.10.4). When I open the updated version, the "Check for updates" option is back in the dropdown menu.

I have the exact same problem!

Joseph140
Attendee

Hi Dick

Joseph140 here.   As above, confirming that I have had no further issues after I uninstalled and re-installed Zoom.  The Update function is back where it used to be.  All the best.

Perfect!

same problem. if I uninstall & reinstall, would I lode my profile info?

How do I uninstalled zoom and reinstall

ricknaples
Listener

I cannot update to version 5.10.6

Steve7
Listener

As described in the this tread, I cannot update from version 5.10.1 to 5.10.6 on my Windows laptop. If I use Windows to uninstall Zoom and reinstall it, will I lose all the recurring meetings and other settings I have in place for Zoom?  

For the record, I did uninstall Zoom and reinstall it. I did not lose my recurring meetings and the settings seemed to be the same. I did lose the links to my Zoom backgrounds. 

Thanks Steve7.

I didn't even update or reinstall and I lost ALL of my many photo backgrounds that took many hours to install on zoom. Has this happened to anyone else and are they gone forever?  the one thing i did NOT want to lose is my backgrounds!

C_R
Listener

Hello All and Future Readers,

I'm sure there is a thread in Zoom's support somewhere that breaks down what features are and aren't available when installing the .MSI (Admin version for controlled updating) and .EXE (End-user self-managed version). Both can be installed by anyone granted they have privilege's to install programs on their device.

That said, if the .MSI version is installed, it's a hit or miss as to if that will allow one to see the "Check for Updates". That is a setting control your place of business Zoom Admin has to allow . I have the .MSI installed on my computer but every so often, that option disappears and its because by default, in the Admin portal, it is disabled. The .EXE version will always be there, unless Zoom accidently breaks it with an update (has only happened once that I can recall).

Another difference between the Zoom.exe installer vs the Zoom.msi installer is:

- The .EXE version is user profile specific. Meaning if it is a shared computer with multiple users, one profile only will have it installed and working. There are some exceptions to this but are based on company domain policies and if every current user installed it under there profile (unless Zoom has changed that).

- The .MSI version will be installed for all users (current and future accounts created from when logging into that computer)

The easiest way to determine which version you have is simple. (note: %root% is the local disk c:, d:, e:, etc. or whatever your local disk drive letter is. Typically it will be "C:".)

- Right-click on the Zoom desktop shortcut and select "Properties"

- In the "Target" filed, if it is "%root%\Users\%username%\AppData..." it is the .EXE version

- In the "Target" filed, if it is "%root%\Program Files\Zoom..." it is the .MSI

- In the "Target" filed, if it is "%root%\Program Files (x86)\Zoom..." it is the .MSI

I hope this helps clear this up for all.

C_R

@C_R 
Thank you for posting about the difference when Zoom is installed from an MSI file. That was my situation and several forum posts fail to mention that exception.

This is totally unintelligible to the average user over 70!  I need to know how to update my version of Zoom as I get an update message, I answer "update now" and then it says, can't update.  Help

ZoomInstaller.exe did not change the App version. It remains Version: 5.13.5 (12053). Zoom will NOT allow it to run. Uninstall does not remove it and the installer does not replace it.

Cannot uninstall nor install

haleokane
Listener

if you are using Norton 360, and don't see the Check for Updates in the Zoom pull down menu, then open Norton 360, and to the right of Software Updater, click on View Solution and the software that need updating will be listed, Zoom.  Click on Update button on the bottom right to update.

RayMar47
Listener

I have the same experience and Zoom will not uninstall and wiil not update, manually (Windows 10)