cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable Internet Connection -- but it isn't

elleirdad
Listener

Like so many, I am also having the same "Unstable Internet" connection message. It seems to only happen when I am talking which makes me freeze and the audio becomes garbled.  I believe this is a Zoom software problem. So, I wonder how to get Zoom tech support involved.

I have a Dell XPS 13 7390 running Windows 10 (latest build) and lots of RAM.  This is what I have done.

1. I had Spectrum internet visit my house and check the lines. The repair person said that my signal is better than at his own home.

2. I upgraded to 1Gig internet, which has 40 Mbps down according to Speedtest.

3. I replaced my router with a $250 Netgear router, current model.

4. I replaced my switch.

5. I swapped my hardwired cable.

6. I bought a USB-C dongle and connected my Ethernet to the dongle

7.  I uninstalled/installed the Zoom software

8. I checked all drivers

None of these steps solved the problem. The only other thing I can think of is to buy a Mac. What do you suggest? How can we get help from Zoom to fix buggy software.

7 REPLIES 7

elleirdad
Listener

I meant 40 Mbps up -- sorry.  It is about 860 down to the desktop.

Jameswalter
Participant

Check your Internet bandwidth using an online speed test, such as nperf, Speedtest, or Comparitech. Try to connect directly via Wired (if your internet router has wired ports) Try bringing your computer or mobile device closer to the WiFi router or access point in your home or office. Upgrade your WiFI router firmware.

Regards,
Jameswalter

James, thank you for the reply.  But I do have high speed, I am hard-wired, and I have the latest firmware.

nperf results:

750 Mb/s down

36    Mb/s up

61  ms latency

6 ms jitter

These numbers look great to me.

Next steps?

cameron123
Listener

I have this problem too. Like the poster, my internet connection is not the issue.

(edit to add: I'm on a Macbook Pro.)

elleirdad
Listener

Well -- guess what -- I found the problem.  It was the computer itself.

I replaced everything from the USB-C dongle to the Ethernet Cable to the Switch to the Router to the Modem, and had the cable company here to check the lines. I tried both WiFi and hardware.  I tried it all.

Finally, I surrendered. I replaced my Dell Windows laptop with a MacBook Pro 13.  And, now it is working well.

Wow! My condolences.

My IT person at work recommended I test out a few external microphones to rule out an issue with the audio driver on my Mac. I'm hopeful that'll be the cause.

PA7
Listener

I don't know what to think; all I know is that software is screwy.  I've had the most ridiculous outcomes with it.  Now I have to decide whether to spend a few more hundred dollars to buy yet another new computer and I'm a retiree.  I really don't think there's anything wrong with my computer or my internet connection; it's Zoom and their dedication to enterprise-level customers.  They won't open a ticket for me and telephone support is for paying customers I take it.