cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to mute participant

MarkR-IBC
Listener

We had a meeting where I signed in as the host to start the meeting. We had one designated co-host. All participants were muted upon the meeting starting and we removed the ability to allow participants to unmute themselves. If they were to comment the co-host would request them to unmute. One participant was requested to unmute to give a comment and when done was not able to mute themselves. As host, I was unable to mute that specific participant and neither was the co-host successful in muting that particular participant. The only thing that was different is that the participant signed in as the host right before the meeting began and signed me out although the meeting was still able to proceed with me as host and my co-host still there. Could that be the reason why that participant was unable to be muted by themself, host, or co-host? That participant at times uses that account to host the same meeting when it is their turn so it was not like they should not have access to the account. It was just not their time to be signed in if that makes sense. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Hi, @MarkR-IBC --

I did some testing with myself as Host and 2 other accounts.  I tried multiple combinations of setting hosts,  co-hosts, order of arrival, etc.  In all cases, the attendee who had been given permission to unmute was able to mute themselves, and the host/co-hosts were also able to mute the attendee after unmuting.

Was this a one-time occurrence, or have you seen this behavior in multiple meetings?

All of my tests were done with an up-to-date Windows Zoom client application; I did not test Mac, iOS, Android, or Linux clients, nor a web-based meeting attendee.  If you run into this situation again, please attempt to collect more information about what devices are being used, and what version of Zoom client is being used.  With that information, if the volunteers in the Zoom Community can't find an answer, perhaps you might sent a Support Ticket to the Zoom staff and see what they can find.

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ray_Harwood

Hi, @MarkR-IBC --

I did some testing with myself as Host and 2 other accounts.  I tried multiple combinations of setting hosts,  co-hosts, order of arrival, etc.  In all cases, the attendee who had been given permission to unmute was able to mute themselves, and the host/co-hosts were also able to mute the attendee after unmuting.

Was this a one-time occurrence, or have you seen this behavior in multiple meetings?

All of my tests were done with an up-to-date Windows Zoom client application; I did not test Mac, iOS, Android, or Linux clients, nor a web-based meeting attendee.  If you run into this situation again, please attempt to collect more information about what devices are being used, and what version of Zoom client is being used.  With that information, if the volunteers in the Zoom Community can't find an answer, perhaps you might sent a Support Ticket to the Zoom staff and see what they can find.

Thank you @Ray_Harwood! This was a one-time occurrence and as for the devices, the host and co-host were both using a Windows 10 PC using the Zoom Version: 5.10.4 (5035). I don't know what device the participant was using or the version. This seems to be a one-off, but I will keep an eye on it if it occurs again the in future and document it further. Thanks again!

Ray_Harwood

Thanks, @MarkR-IBC.  One other possible scenario comes to mind: If an attendee's internet connection is unstable -- and I mean really unstable to the point that the system is about to dump the attendee's connection -- the command won't go through.  I haven't seen it with mute/unmute specifically, but have with a couple of things off and on... pretty rare.  Still, it sounds like you were able to communicate with the attendee and they couldn't mute either.

Keep a look out... I'll be interested if you get this again.

Will do @Ray_Harwood and thanks again! Their connection seem to be good as they were able to communicate with us to let us know they were unable to mute themselves and they sounded clear along with their video. I'll keep an eye out.