cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Screen Share from Zoom Mac App

ACSTITTech
Listener

I am an IT Tech and I have multiple users attempting to Share Screen using the Mac Zoom App. All users are on the latest update of MacOS Monterey (12.5) and the Zoom.us app is on the latest version as well. When the app is launched and the user selects to Share Screen, the window pops up with the Basic tab selected and the screen options show up. However none of the screen options are showing what is in the screen. They all have a white triangle with an exclamation point in the middle. If a screen is selected and the Share button is pressed, we receive a notification that says "Allow Zoom to share your screen. Open System Preferences > Security & Privacy to grant access." Yet when we click the button to Open System Preferences, the window opens and Zoom.us already has the box checked to allow screen recording. Removing and reapplying the setting does nothing. We cannot seem to get it to work in the app at all. It works via web browser, but the app itself will not share a screen. Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @ACSTITTech 

Did those users recently update the OS on their devices? Sometimes apps that already had privacy permissions before an update get stuck in a sort of limbo area, where they were grandfathered in with some privacy permissions, but the scope of the privacy permissions have changed on the new OS version, and this app has not been granted the new full scope. You might try using the following command in terminal to reset those permissions entirely: sudo tccutil reset ScreenCapture

Once that is done, restart the device and check the Screen Recording permissions again. If Zoom is no longer listed there, add it to the list and try to share screen again. 

Thanks for responding, Bort. I followed the steps you provided and it did remove the permissions for zoom.us, but once I added them back and closed and relaunched zoom, it started to loop again. Permission has been granted for screen recording, but it is still directing me to grant permission for screen recording in order to Share my screen.

Bort

Hmm, ok. Here's 2 additional things to check/do: 

1. Have you uninstalled the Zoom client, restarted, and reinstalled? That might solve it, but not sure. Always a good thing to check. 
  2. Check the host's web settings and ensure the Disable desktop screen sharing for meetings you host option is disabled (toggle is gray).
     Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 16.22.00.png

We have uninstalled/reinstalled multiple times, but for posterity's sake I did it again just now, but it didn't resolve the issue. I uninstalled, rebooted, then reinstalled directly from the website (not through the app store), and it still loops the permissions prompt.

We do have screen sharing enabled in the host's web settings. We are able to screen share when accessed from zoom.us in Google Chrome, but when doing it directly from the Zoom Mac App, we hit that permissions loop.

willjoe
Attendee

If you're trying to share the screen of another Mac, on that Mac choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Sharing and make sure you're in the list of users who have permission to share its screen. Make sure neither Mac is in sleep mode. If necessary, adjust sleep settings using System Preferences.

Regards,

Will

Our setup includes our MacBook Pro, plus 1-2 extra monitors. The screen we're attempting to share is either our own MacBook Pro screen or the screen of one of the attached monitors. It isn't ever the screen of another user's computer. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

JeffConuel
Listener

Hey ACSTITTech, did you ever find the solution to this?  It is exactly what I am dealing with.  I am a new Mac user (Windows: 30 years; Mac: 2 months) so finding many details of the transition difficult.  This is one of them.

Asih
Listener

Saya punya masalah yg sama,