cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Delete "ZoomAudioDevice" on Mac

zaparkin
Listener

As the title states, I cannot delete the ZoomAudioDevice.kext (kernel extension) from my Mac. It claims I have permissions to read/write, but will not let me delete it or move it to the trash. The official Zoom support for how to uninstall explicitly states to simply find the kext and move it to the trash so I'm at a loss of how to proceed.

I have also tried reinstalling zoom to no avail. I haven't used zoom in several years and just want this crap gone.

6 REPLIES 6

Jameswalter
Participant

Uninstall Zoom version 4.4. 53909.0617 and below

Folder: /Applications/ Move to Trash: zoom.us.app.

Folder: ~/Applications/ Move to Trash: zoom.us.app.

Folder: /System/Library/Extensions/ Move to Trash: ZoomAudioDevice.kext.

Folder: ~/Library/Application\ Support/ Move to Trash: zoom.us.

I am already aware of this process. I attempted to follow these instructions but I am unable to move “ZoomAudioDevice.kext” to trash, as per my original post. 

ibrandi
Listener

Did you ever find the solution to this? I'm having the same problem, and I'm 99% sure it's the cause of my audio playback issue in a totally different app (that I use for work, and that has me unable to do any). It's like this freaking ZAD is holding the sound hostage

Thanks

I’m pretty sure I got it deleted eventually. I quickly searched my file system for the ZAD and couldn’t find it so I’m thinking it’s gone. It’s been a while so I don’t remember exactly what got it to delete, but I will happily give you some suggestions on what to try.

If you are experienced with the macOS Terminal, run the rm command on the ZAD and see if that deletes it. If you aren’t familiar, use the following instructions: 

- In Finder, go to Applications/Utilities and open Terminal

- Once launched, use the cd command to chose the directory of ZAD. The format for this command is: cd /Path/Of/ZAD (I think the path is /System/Library/Extensions)

- You have now pointed Terminal at the Extensions folder in which ZAD resides. It should display the path of the folder at the top to indicate this.
- Now, you can run the rm command on ZAD by using the format rm filename — so in this case it would be rm ZoomAudioDevice.kext

- Once you’ve typed the command, press the Return/Enter key to run it

- If it works, rm will delete the ZAD instantly and permanently and you will be good to go! If for some reason it says you do not have permission, try sudo rm ZoomAudioDevice.kext — sudo runs the command in Administrator mode and requires the login password for an Administrator account (aka, Admin User) on the Mac. When prompted, type in the Admin password and press Return/Enter.

- If even after running rm with sudo you still are told you don’t have permission, click on ZAD once to highlight it in Finder and press Command + i keys to Get Info. Check if your user has permission to read and write under Sharing & Permissions, which may need to be expanded with the arrow button (you should have permission). It may also say Administrators have permission, which if your Mac has only one user, yours will be Admin.

- If you were told you don’t have permission but Get Info says you do, try repairing permissions or updating them by unlocking the file (lock icon, enter password). To repair, click the gear button, then Repair (if available). Otherwise update permissions by adding your specific user to the permissions by clicking the +. Once permissions have been updated or repaired, try running rm again.

Hopefully this works for you, if not, feel free to reach out again and I will try to help from there!

Thank you so much. Just came here to update--with the help of a friend, I figured it out!  Apparently what used to be "kext" is now in there as a "driver"--I may not be explaining that correctly, but the solve was this: “.../Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/"--in there was a folder called Zoom.us driver (or something to that affect)--I deleted that, and boom--all gone from Audacity 

Ahh, yes. So that would be an HAL audio plug-in. Glad you were able to get it sorted out and fixed!