cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning off Subtitles (Close Caption) on an Android / Tablet

ThomGrace
Listener

We have meetings that are joined via several mobile devices and use Live Transcript. On Androids and surface tablets, participants are unable to find how to shut it off and it takes up to much screen.

Help!

7 REPLIES 7

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @ThomGrace 

This article has instructions on how to enable/disable captions on mobile devices: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/4403492514829

Hope that helps and please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

Hi Bort, 

When I go to Settings in the Zoom app on Android, I see the following items that can be switched on/off: 

- Always show meetings controls

- Meeting Topic (info only, not on/off)

- Show name when participants join

- Show non-video participants

- Show my video in gallery view

- Stop incoming video

There is no option to turn off live captioning. My Zoom version is 5.8.6.3139. I wonder why the option is missing.  Any ideas? 

Thanks,

Reed

Bort

Try accessing the meeting settings on the Android app outside of a meeting, which will give you more options. There I have an option named Show Closed Captioning (when available), but that same option is not available when in a meeting. 

Thanks very much! The option is there when I'm not in a meeting. 

@Bort , thank you so much for responding to this question.  I have been trying to turn off live captioning for months, but only while I'm in a meeting.

This is very helpful info, but how can you post that and not immediately follow that up with "...and I've filed a defect report to fix this completely asinine UI design"? OF COURSE it should be possible to turn off the distracting captioning during the offending meeting!

That and there's still no keyboard shortcut to switch them-off!
It would make more sense too if the client allowed a default setting, just like is for video, camera and audio.