cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trim Cloud Recording

EbonyDances
Attendee

The "trim" feature for Cloud Recordings seems to have changed, and I cannot get it to work.

Usually, I can select a time signature to start the playback. Easy.

But now, I click trim and my only option is to add "new sections" (with no time signature offered). I don't understand this.

I use the "trim" feature pretty much everyday before sending out recordings and now I'm at a loss.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

EbonyDances
Attendee

I think I figured it out!

1.  Click the scissor to "trim"

2.  Click in the gray box to "add a new section"

3.  Then, use your mouse to expand that "new section" by dragging the black circles appearing on either side of it.

4.  The blue part will be the viewable part of your video.

But then, you do have to WAIT for the trimming to be done to send the video out to your peeps. 

Sheesh!

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

risefitnessct
Listener

Im struggling too and normally use it daily with no problem. New update to the feature is holding me back from sending out recording to people that requested it because I can't figure it out and I'm pretty tech savvy. Reached out to Zoom but no answers yet. Hope to have a solution soon! 

Please let us know.  I've asked our zoom staff person if she can restore the video as an administrator.

I've not heard from the administrator, but the tech support person on campus said that she thinks that administration only grants rights.  The tech person recommended downloading the file (which used to be a way of getting the whole thing), but I still have the same 55 seconds when I do.   My early bird student looking at her phone is now the most famous footage in any of my classes, at least to me, I am not going to share it.

I'm having trouble with trimming, too. I do it a lot as well. It said it was trimmed but the full video is still there. Now when I try again, I get a note on the screen that says, "The range not change." Does anyone know what that means? Now I tried too many times and I have to wait 24 hours to try again. Argh!!

Same here!

Hi Cyndib, 

It's interesting that the earlier posts from 2021 were never resolved, it appears. I guess that means we're on our own. Sigh! I still haven't figured it out. 

SpearYoga
Listener

I have the same problem. I use this feature regularly  and have trimmed the wrong part of my recording and cannot seem to get it back despite Help notes saying it can be restored within 30 days - there is no obvious way to restore - pulling my hair out! any ideas please?

The same thing has happened to me. I tried to use the new trim tool, clearly did it wrong, and I lost 95% of the recording, so now I have nothing to send the students who are waiting for it. I can't for the life of me figure out how to restore what I trimmed.

HarmoniousJoan
Listener

Yikes! This better get fixed soon. I promise a recording of the weekly lessons to my students, and I definitely need to trim the recordings before share with them. Have you reported this to Zoom? I did see they were talking about "improving" the trim function on a release that was supposed to come out today...

EbonyDances
Attendee

I think I figured it out!

2.  Click in the gray box to "add a new section"

3.  Then, use your mouse to expand that "new section" by dragging the black circles appearing on either side of it.

But then, you do have to WAIT for the trimming to be done to send the video out to your peeps. 

Sheesh!

I've been trying and doing that but there's no time stamp, so Im just guessing at what to trim. Such a nightmare and really causing problems on my ends because I can't send any videos out. 

You can start by selecting a random area and you will notice that there are two black circles on each side of the blue selection area.  If you drag one of the circles it will start to scroll with a time stamp so that you know where you are selecting.  I was able to figure out this part, but I am still waiting for my trim to complete after editing the file over an hour ago.  I want to make sure the trim worked before I send it to students.

Zoom says it can take up to 2 hours to trim. Mine had all night and didn't trim anything. And today, I can't get it to work at all. Just won't trim. 😞

I found that there was a time stamp, but I am afraid it is all relative - like if you know how long you want the video to be, instead of where it started and where you wanted it to end.   I thought I calculated it, but when the recording went on much too long, and I tried to fix it I guess I sinned by trying to trim before it had processed - it gave me less than 1/80 of what I had been working with!

Thank you! I was struggling with this for an hour. This really helped

Thank you soooooooo much!!!😀

risefitnessct
Listener

Thank you for the information. It's starting to work with the information you gave me. The latest trim update isn't an ideal way to trim the videos but at least it's something. Hope they fix it to make it easier to use. Thank you!

I agree. It really wasn't broken, so why fix it unless with a supremely clear new version that's vastly superior and complete with step by step instructions.

LS-Blockologie
Listener

Same issues for me, so simple before, why change this?  To wait for the new trimmed version is ridiculous, I usually edit the start and finish, it only lets me trim one thing at a time.  Who has time for this when you have to send out your videos daily! 

YourTimeYoga
Listener

I can't get the NEW trim to work either. It's not intuitive anymore.   I attempted to trim  both start & end (and it appeared to work), but when I went into replay the whole untrimmed video plays and the scissors are "grayed out" with the message "Trimming in progress." after 20+ minutes.  Appears to be a bug.   I use  Trim daily and

hope this problem is resolved quickly.

When it's done "trimming" (you'll have to keep checking back), if it's not how you want it - revert to original and then try this:

2.  Click anywhere in the gray box to "add a new section"

Sheesh!

KFriesen
Listener

I encountered this new and completely inefficient revision to Zoom today and it's ridiculous! Thank you, EbonyDances, for the directions since this simple process has become unnecessarily confusing. Make one trim and have to wait for the entire video to resolve before making another trim? Humbug! I have students waiting for their recordings too.

Hey, Zoom! Are you seeing this?

ElizabHovey
Listener

I felt the same way, completely flummoxed and it got better and then much worse.   I used restore twice.  I finally found that there was click and hold element to indicate a vast stretch of the time, getting me what I thought I wanted about 82minutes.   But despite my calculations the selection included more than I wanted at the end.   BUT when I attempted to trim again - I ended up with just 55 seconds  of a student waiting for the others -- NO restore function. 

Wagners
Listener

This is so counter intuitive. One would think the part being "trimmed" is the highlighted section but alas it is not. The biggest issue I have is the WAITING time for this. I've been waiting 10 minutes now for the "trimming" to be completed and this is a huge waste of my time and I have over 20 recordings to address every single day. Which means hours of waiting.

checkman
Listener

Even worse is the fact that there's no webpage at zoom.com that tells you how to trim. I had to come to the community, search for the problem, and there's only a solution because someone found it by trial and error!

WTF, Zoom???

Extra: When you do trim your video, and go back to the Recordings page, the length of the video is the original length, but when you click on it, the length is found to be only what you trimmed.

WTFF, Zoom?????

bethrizzotti
Listener

Ugh. I too am very unhappy with this revision.  The amount of time I have just spent in the WAITING mode is a non-starter.   And in my fumbling around to figure this out, I hot the 5x in 12 hour limit - so cannot deliver the replay link on time as required.  The old feature let you trim immediately, adjust as needed - as many times are you needed - and go.  This is a big set-back.  ZOOM, help your people!  😞

Maite-Alonso
Listener

Does someone know how to trim a section in the middle of the recording? It seems to be simple to trim the beginning or the end, but cannot make it for a middle section. HELP!