cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Students are taken to another session when clicking the URL

RobertoOFarrill
Listener

Several of my students are having this issue. I've sent them the link, session ID and password for the scheduled session every Wednesday yet, they're taken to a different session, scheduled for Thursday, which is not the one corresponding to them and the app shows a message stating "The host has another session". Why is this happening? they're getting pretty annoyed thinking it is my fault!

Can you please help on this matter? I'm sending you a screen capture of my session settings on this matter.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

J-Zoom-ATL
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

@RobertoOFarrill Thank you, my suspicion here is that the link provided in the email is hyperlinked but is sending them to the wrong link.

For example, I can hyperlink THIS but have it sent wherever I want. For some reason your email may have (possibly through copy and paste) had the "Correct" link shown, but maybe it was hyperlinked to the Thursday link.

I do believe sending a brand new email with a link and details taken straight from the Zoom website is going to be the best way to go. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

J-Zoom-ATL

@RobertoOFarrill I hate to hear that you had this issue with your meeting and students. 

The issue is most likely they joined the wrong meeting link. When looking at the meeting, it looks like there was a second meeting hosted by your user at that very same time. 

I would double check with your students on what link they joined and have them provide that to you. 

I would also like to recommend to not share meeting information publicly via this community. Please make sure to change the password on the meeting above to avoid it being used by external parties. 

If this answer helped solve your question/issue, please hit the "Accept as Solution" button below.

No, they don't have the wrong link, I personally gave them the proper link. The students from Wednesday are totally different to the ones on Thursday, therefore, they are not provided with a link they don't need.

I've read over here that this has been an issue on the desktop app. I've tried myself with the proper link and have encountered with the issue I'm describing.

J-Zoom-ATL

@RobertoOFarrill Apologies, how is the link being provided? There aren't any issues with meetings being redirected. 

So if a student is clicking a link and being taken to the wrong one for the next day, then the link they are clicking is for that next day. 

RobertoOFarrill
Listener

Let me be as clear as possible J-Zoom-ATL.

The link stated in the Wednesday meeting session is totally different to the one on Thursdays, that is clear. I clicked on that Wednesday particular link, not on the one for Thursdays, and it redirected me to the Thursday recurring meeting! My own link, copied from my own ZOOM profile, from the Wednesday meeting settings! Then, when I just open the ZOOM app and write the Wednesday numerical Meeting ID and the passcode, therefore not using the link, the app connects me to the proper session, weird, ain't it?

And, sorry to let you know that there ARE this issues. at least reported since 2020 like this: https://devforum.zoom.us/t/zoom-url-takes-students-to-wrong-meeting/36143

I'm quite certain that the issue exists since I've tried out myself as I've just explained. Not intending to be rude, just stating that this is certainly happening.

J-Zoom-ATL

@RobertoOFarrill How are these links distributed and what is the student join workflow?

I certainly didn't want to discount your reporting of an issue you are facing. Those issues in the link you provided were directed to our support team to open tickets on and as far as I'm aware, there are no current issues with meeting links sending users to the wrong meeting. 

The reason I ask about how these links are distributed is because we need to understand the source of where these links are coming from (i.e. Canvas, Email, etc) so that we can hone down to where the root of the issue lies. 

The links are distributed via email to each student. And, as I stated, I tried out clicking the link my self, copying it from that particular Session settings. It happened just as I stated before. Trying to connect from the link, gets me to another session, using the Session ID and the passcode writing them on the app, without using the link, gets me into the correct session. I've already sent this same report to the support team and waiting for them to answer.

Thanks for your quick answers.

A little bit more information about this.

Some students join by clicking the link, others join by writing meeting ID and Passcode. They all use different devices and OS. Some have reported the issue, some aren't, so things are quite weird. My students in my Thursday class have no problems at all. The ones on my Wednesday class are the ones having this issue. Wednesday class was created 6 months later than the Thursday's one.

J-Zoom-ATL

@RobertoOFarrill You certainly took good steps reaching out to our support team. Something like this sometimes can be better served by someone who can look at the backend and even potentially meet with you to discuss the issue in full. 

You stated that if you copy and paste that link into your address bar (or just click on the link) that you get taken to another session. When you do that and hit enter, do you see the meeting URL in your browser change to show a different meeting ID?

The link doesn't change when pasted into the address bar or just clicked on it.

I've just checked on some of the mails and, though in the mail body appears the proper link written down, the URL to which it leads is incorrect. It's really weird! The URL was pasted right from the ZOOM meeting settings so can't figure why it is pointing to another URL.

Will try to send them the proper link again and keep you posted.

J-Zoom-ATL

@RobertoOFarrill Thank you, my suspicion here is that the link provided in the email is hyperlinked but is sending them to the wrong link.

For example, I can hyperlink THIS but have it sent wherever I want. For some reason your email may have (possibly through copy and paste) had the "Correct" link shown, but maybe it was hyperlinked to the Thursday link.

I do believe sending a brand new email with a link and details taken straight from the Zoom website is going to be the best way to go. 

That seems to be the case.

Thanks for the support, certainly should have been the hyperlink stuff.

Strange, since it was always copied from the ZOOM website, but anyway, I've just sent the corrected emails to the students having this issue.

J-Zoom-ATL

@RobertoOFarrill That's great to hear that sending a new email resolved the issue.

Please feel free to let us know if you need anything else either here in the community or with our support team.