cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange "tong" sound while attending a pilates class

kramdish
Listener

Hi,

I've been experiencing a strange sound that plays randomly on my mac while connected to a Zoom meeting pilates class.

It only happens there and in no other meetings.

Any idea what causes the sound and if it's a problem on my side?

(I tried opening the attached mp3 file with VLC but couldn't hear anything. It does work if opened with QuickTime Player).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/24uzye0kk8flk7m/Zoom%20sound.mp3?dl=0 

I appreciate any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Hey, @kramdish,

I was able to listen to your audio, and it doesn't sound like any Zoom sound I'm familiar with.

Is it constant throughout the meeting, or just occasional?

Are there multiple people with audio unmuted?  If so, it's possible the sound might not be coming from you, but from someone else. If possible, make sure everyone else is muted, and see if the sound continues... and if not, have one person unmute at a time until you hear it again, and then ask that person what they have going on in the background.

I once had a meeting where one of the main presenters had this unusual tone which was an "email alert tone" on their phone, but there were many panelists unmuted so it took me a while to determine who was the culprit!  Sometimes we have to play detective to figure these things out.

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

nyme92
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

I recommend checking your audio settings. While in meeting, click on the top arrow attached to the mute/unmute button, click "Test Speaker and Microphone". You can also go to your audio settings by clicking on your icon in the application and going to Settings and Audio

Ray_Harwood

Hey, @kramdish,

I was able to listen to your audio, and it doesn't sound like any Zoom sound I'm familiar with.

Is it constant throughout the meeting, or just occasional?

Are there multiple people with audio unmuted?  If so, it's possible the sound might not be coming from you, but from someone else. If possible, make sure everyone else is muted, and see if the sound continues... and if not, have one person unmute at a time until you hear it again, and then ask that person what they have going on in the background.

I once had a meeting where one of the main presenters had this unusual tone which was an "email alert tone" on their phone, but there were many panelists unmuted so it took me a while to determine who was the culprit!  Sometimes we have to play detective to figure these things out.

kramdish
Listener

Hi, 

I'll check my audio settings for my next session. 

Hey @Ray_Harwood 

It's not constant, just occasional and kind of happens randomly. 

About if the people are muted or not: it's hard to tell, I didn't give it any thought. 

I'll try keeping an eye on it next time and get back.

Thank you!

Ray_Harwood

Here's a tip: If you are recording to the Cloud, turn on the recording option to record a separate audio for each attendee.  It might take a little work, but you can get isolated audio and determine exactly who it comes from.  Let me know if you'd like some additional guidance on this.

Hi !

I just found out that the culprit was indeed someone else in the class that had a faulty microphone!

Thanks for your help!