cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spotlight failed during screenshare

loristokes
Listener

We had a few meetings with 20 attendees. We spotlit the main speaker in each meeting so that we would only see the speaker, and not the attendees--we didn't want attendees to appear in the recording when they asked questions. We only wanted the speaker to appear in the recording.

This seemed to work for most of the 75 minutes of the meetings. But when I watched the whole recordings, I saw that a few times, even though only the speaker was spotlit, an attendee appeared in the spotlight window when they asked a question. Again, this didn't happen every time--it was random--but it only happened when the spotlit speaker was sharing their screen. Sometimes during screenshare the spotlight worked, sometimes during screenshare it failed.

What happened and how can we prevent this?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

YaBoiB
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello @loristokes ,
My name is Brandon. Thanks for joining the Zoom Community! May I ask if you were recording locally or to the cloud? The support article here https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362653-Spotlighting-participants-videos indicates that this functionality works primarily with a local recording as the cloud recording could potentially pick up attendees' video streams. I am interested in testing this, so I will work on that for you and see if my behavior is similar. 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

YaBoiB

Hi @loristokes

Ok, I have tested the behavior, and when you are recording to the cloud, the non spotlighted attendees will show up in the screen share active speaker thread on the screen share window. Still, in the local recording, only the spotlighted participants show up even when an active screen share is present, so as I stated previously, it appears that the local recording for this functionality is the way to go when you want to spotlight sure attendees. You do not want other non-spotlighted attendees to appear in your recordings. 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?