cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound quality of Instrument intermittent, voice is okay

MaryBD
Listener

Since the pandemic, I've been teaching chanting online using a Yeti microphone. The sound quality, with original sound for voice and my harmonium (a drone instrument), was excellent. I was plugged into the router with an ethernet cable at home. Now I'm in a venue with Wifi, which has worked, with some occasional problems with the broadband. To mitigate that, I've used my phone as a mobile hotspot with my mobile data. But that is not working now. The sound quality of the harmonium is waving in and out, even though I have enabled Original Sound. The voice sounds okay, apparently, but the distortion with the harmonium means everyone is giving up and leaving the class. I've turned off the audio setting to do with High Fidelity, echo cancellation and stereo. I've also tried turning off the "Signal Processing by Windows Device Drivers" (that turns on "raw sound.") Nothing seems to have worked. Suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4

Eliot
Community Champion | Zoom Partner

hi marybd,

since your setup works well with a wired internet connection, this may be a problem with venue's wifi. 

maybe there are a lot of people trying to use the venue's wifi during your performance. 

to check your speed, you can use speed.measurementlab.net or speedtest.net.  if the upload speed is less than  3 mbps or there is packet loss or retransmissions, maybe the venue will allow you to use a wired connection.  long cat 6 ethernet cables such as 100 foot cables are available.  they could be used to connect your equipment to a router or ethernet switch.  lowes and other stores have them for about $50.

please see the following support articles:

Zoom system requirements: Windows, macOS, Linux – Zoom Support

Using original sound for musicians in a meeting – Zoom Support

Configuring professional audio settings for Zoom Meetings – Zoom Support

thanks,  eliot

Brian10
Listener

Many Zoom users, in fact dozens, are having this problem.  I've been taking piano lessons on Zoom for the last 3 years.  I recently bought a new HP All in One Computer with Windows 11.  Now the Zoom input microphones work only with my speaking voice, and as soon as I play the piano, my teacher can't hear it.  Because so many other Zoom users are having this problem, I am surprised that the Zoom developers have not yet addressed this problem.  I've been reading comments like this dated as far back as July 2022.  It is now Jan. 2023 and still no solutions exist to solve this problem.  I may suggest to my teacher that we switch to WhatsApp or Skype.  Any comments out there?  

Eliot

hi brian10,

what are your settings for:

Eliot_0-1674438762332.png

Eliot_1-1674438897559.png

when you enable original sound for musicians, you also have to toggle original sound for musicians on your zoom meeting screen.

it is also possible that hp has noise supression and treats music as noise.  this may have to be disabled.  please let me know what the hp model number is.

please see the following support articles:

Using original sound for musicians in a meeting – Zoom Support

Configuring professional audio settings for Zoom Meetings – Zoom Support

thanks,  eliot

patmacnider
Listener

I am also experiencing a similar issue in Zoom Rooms.

It is happening when simply playing an audio file through "share content".  It will cancel out all of the music but allow voices to come through fine.

I see the post about changing settings to "original sound" but these settings are not available for Zoom Rooms.  I have turned off ALL processing that I know of in Zoom and in Windows and we still have the issue.