cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound mix on interpretation channels

vincentbuck
Listener

We are very regular users of Language interpretation on Zoom. 

In a meeting today, on one interpretation channel (out of 4) we were systematically getting the original audio and the interpreter's voice mixed at about 50% volume each - which is clearly unusable. 

Selecting  "mute original audio". on that channel did not change anything. 

The situation was the same with all interpreters using that channel. When they switched to another channel, the problem went away - and we confirmed hearing their voice only on that other channel after selecting "mute original audio". 

It sounded like a regular audio mix and was not due to sound leakage from the interpreters' system - we checked. If sound leakage had been the root cause we should have heard it on both channels. 

All interpreters were using the last Zoom client update on Win or MacOs. 

We could not stop interpretation and restart. We tried logging out one interpreter and signing her back in, then reassigning her to her channels - and that made no difference at all. 

Has anyone had that before? Any idea as to what could have happened? 

9 REPLIES 9

Budhita
Listener

Yes. This is happening to us now! Exactly the same problem. Is it because I just upgraded my zoom? This has never happened before and we did the same - checked and rechecked - no leakage from headphones of interpreters.  They signed in and out as well.  It seems to be with one channel only as well.

I hope someone can help give advice on how to fix this!

SuzC
Listener

This has been happening regularly in our webinars as well. For us, it's usually just one panelist per session whose audio comes in so hot it completely overtakes the interpreter's audio (these are different meetings with different people). As someone else said, "mute original audio" does nothing to improve the issue. Audio bleed or feedback seems unlikely since our interpreters always use headsets. Very interested to hear how to troubleshoot this!

MLS
Listener

We experienced the same issue this morning. Looking forward to hearing how to troubleshoot this!

elwc
Listener

Speakers voice will be blended with the interpreter if the speaker is listening to the interpretation while he/her is speaking.

However, this evening the speaker was NOT listening to the interpreter's channel, yet the speaker's voice was blended in one of the interpreter's channel. A change in speaker and interpreter solved the problem. Because it was an important event, we have no chance to test if the problem is with the speaker or the interpreter.

Samediggi
Listener

We experienced this issue on this Friday 28, with all the computers on the latest sw. Mute/unmute original audio in the interpretation did nothing. Unfortunately we used only one channel, so I cannot verify it was a problem on one or multiple channels. This was very annoying and made the interpretation useless. We ended up dropping the floor audio level to make the interpretation stay on top…I really wish I knew, that channel switch could have solved the problem. I hope Zoom support will look into this and fix it asap.

Andre69K
Listener

We have experienced this a few times already for a half year now. We also have regular meetings with about 80 participants using 5 interpretation languages. It started with the French Languages about a half year ago, but it is also happening on other language channels like a newly created interpreted language as well just a few days ago.  We still also haven't figured out why it happens on one language channel and not on the other one. I hope the support of Zoom can also do something about this. It becomes quite annoying.

Azmaveth
Listener

My team began having this same problem at the beginning of February. In my last 6 meetings, it has occurred 5 times with 4 different speakers and on 2 different language channels. lIt always seems to affect only one or two people at a time, and only one channel at a time. All presenters it has happened with have been using the latest version of Zoom. Like others in this string, it is a major issue, because we rely on the recodings. The only solution is to switch over to an unused channel, which can cause confusion. If a Spanish speaker is late to the meeting and misses the change, he or she won't know they need to select Chinese in order to hear. 😞

We had a workaround by creating new custom channel such as English 01 for us to switch. But I think host and all interpreters have to update to latest Zoom, then this problem will be resolved.

Azmaveth
Listener

Thank you, elwc. I like the custom channel idea, because then we can keep the language name. Unfortunatley, updating has not solved the problem for us.