cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Sharing ipad via cable results in buzzing noise every 30 seconds

bsarni
Listener

I recently upgraded to a 5th generation iPad Pro. When I have my iPad Pro connected to my MacBook Pro and during a Zoom meeting if I select share ipad via cable, there is a loud buzzing noise that happens every 30 seconds that all participants can hear. If I remove the cable and choose share ipad via airplay, there is no buzzing sound. 

This behavior is something new with the 5th generation iPad. If I connect my 3rd generation iPad Pro (same configuration, IOS version, and apps as the 5th generation) and choose share iPad via cable, there is no buzzing sound.

I have the lastest IOS versions on my MacBook Pro and iPad Pro and the latest version of Zoom.

Is anyone else having this problem? I have contacted Apple support several times and after trying many things, they say contact Zoom of course. I have an appointment at the Apple genius bar later today to have the look at it. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi everyone, until a Mac software update is released to fix this issue, I would suggest one of these two options that some have shared in this thread šŸ™‚

• Share the iPad via airplay.
  • Join the iPad to the meeting using the Zoom iOS client and share directly from the iPad.

Carla,
Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

View solution in original post

92 REPLIES 92

Well, deleting/re-installing Zoom Desktop Client did not work...still getting the 31 second buzz!

I had a 3 hour phone call with Apple support yesterday. Basically ended with them saying it must be a Zoom problem and refusing to do anything. You would think they would talk to Zoom about it and try to sort between them, but no. I will try Zoom support over the weekend, but pretty sure they will just blame Apple software updates (which seems fair enough to me).

Hi Lengold. I just posted to this chat. Hereā€™s what I found. 

The same issue happened awhile back with an iOS update.

As of today 10/27/22 Iā€™ve tested this out: 

Test#1 - I just updated my iPad Pro to iOS 16 and had iMac running OS Monterey and Sharing iPad on Zoom via cable.I have the same buzzing sound. 

Test#2 - Now running an iPad with iOS 15.7 on my iMac running OS Ventura and Sharing iPad on Zoom via cable. No buzzing sound whatsoever. 

I believe itā€™s probably the iOS 16.1 update thatā€™s the issue. 

Test#3 - Iā€™m now testing iOS 16.1 on my IPad Pro with MacOS Ventura and Sharing iPad on Zoom via cable. Iā€™m getting the buzzing sound. 

Zoom please resolve this issue with Apple! This is very Frustrating. 

I also updated both devices like u did and the buzzing appeared! 

GAddison
Listener

The same issue happened awhile back with an iOS update.

As of today 10/27/22 Iā€™ve tested this out: 

Test#1 - I just updated my iPad Pro to iOS 16 and had iMac running OS Monterey and Sharing iPad on Zoom via cable.I have the same buzzing sound. 

Test#2 - Now running an iPad with iOS 15.7 on my iMac running OS Ventura and Sharing iPad on Zoom via cable. No buzzing sound whatsoever. 

I believe itā€™s probably the iOS 16.1 update thatā€™s the issue. 

Test#3 - Iā€™m now testing iOS 16.1 on my IPad Pro with MacOS Ventura and Sharing iPad on Zoom via cable. Iā€™m getting the buzzing sound. 

Zoom please resolve this issue with Apple! This is very Frustrating. 

Thank you, that isolates it to the iPad update (I had also updated to Ventura on the mac) - Apple just wanted to concentrate on the Mac. I agree, if I try an older iPad 15.6.1 - no problems.

Hikerpa
Listener

Same issue here. I had the buzzing sound every 30 seconds when I first purchased the M1 iPad Pro. Then the issue seemed fixed with an update to iOS 15. Now the buzzing sound is back with iOS 16.1. I donā€™t know why Apple keeps saying itā€™s a Zoom problem. It doesnā€™t happen with any other iPad I have. I use Ecamm Live and Iā€™m able to remove the iPad as a microphone so my subscribers donā€™t hear the buzzing but it happened on a Live before I realized that it was there. I hope a fix happens soon. 

JMLProf
Listener

Well, my iPad Pro started this buzzing sound when used in Zoom with a cable connection, once I upgraded to ipados 16. I never had the problem before. M1 MacBook running Monterey and M1 iPad Pro. I had to revert to 15.7 to get rid of the problem. This seems to be an Apple problem that Apple won't address.

I can't use Airplay because the university has locked us out of Sharing in System Preferences, and any kind of remote desktop software interferes with the Airplay function while using Zoom.

Hello JMLProf, can I ask how difficult it was (and how) to revert back to 15.7, or did you use a different iPad?

Thanks

I followed the instructions found here:  https://osxdaily.com/2022/09/20/how-to-downgrade-ios-16-and-revert-to-ios-15/

Make sure you back up your iPad to your computer BEFORE doing this (not an iCloud backup). And when you download the 15.7 software, make VERY sure you have the right one for your specific iPad model. It took about 45 minutes total to revert.

To make sure you have the right download and identified the proper model of your iPad, go to https://ipsw.me/ and follow their instructions carefully. Plus, of course, you need the right cable to connect the computer and iPad. The Apple-signed 15.7 software will not be available forever.

Once I reverted to 15.7, I had no problems connecting the iPad to my MacBook in Zoom via a cable, sharing the screen from the iPad. No buzzing noise. So this is DEFINITELY an Apple firmware problem.

Thanks again, I managed to get 15.7 on the iPad, but can't get past the request to update the software to 16.1 once it boots as a new iPad. Can I ask how you managed to get past that update instruction?

I didn't let it boot to a "new" iPad. I set it to restore the backup instead.

For me - once 15.7 restore finishes, the iPad automatically boots as a new iPad with the 'hello' screen. I can't restore to it from my mac back up as it says software needs to be updated first, I am confused.

When the "hello" screen appears, you can either set up the iPad as new OR restore the backup you took before the downgrade. That's what mine showed. DON'T set it up to reinstall 16.0 or do any upgrade of the software.  

JMLProf
Listener

Another work around is to log in from the computer AND iPad, and screen share from the iPad. But I got an echo doing that.

JMLProf
Listener

I posted a note in a 2-year-old thread with Apple. Apparently they just ignore the problem.

JMLProf
Listener

FYI: iPadOS 15.7.1 works fine, without buzzing.

Thanks JMLProf: I have now also downgraded to 15.7.1 and all works well as before update to 16.1. I spoke again to Apple support who now acknowledge that it is a known issue and will, hopefully be resolved in a software update at some stage.

JMLProf
Listener

Let's hope they let us know if it's been fixed when they get around to it. [sigh] I had posted on the Apple Forums but they removed my directions about reverting to 15.7. I did file a direct bug report.

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Thank you all for such a thoughtful and collaborative thread! Please continue to update us with your bug report findings. I am sure many community members are finding this to be a very informative thread. 

Carla 

Zoom Community Team 

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team

lengold
Listener

Apple have released iPad OS 16.1.1 with bug fixes, but do not say what the bug fixes are. Has anybody downloaded, and has this bug been fixed? I am on 15.7 and do not wish to update until this bug is fixed. Thanks

lengold
Listener

I also today upgraded an old (non-M1/M2) iPad to 16.1.1 and no buzzing. But I think the issue might have been related to M1/M2 iPads only. So, no wiser really. Was anybody having this issue with non M1/M2 iPads? Thanks

Hikerpa
Listener

Iā€™m using the 2021 M1 iPad updated to iPadOS 16.1.1 and the buzzing is still there.

What operating system are you using on the M1. perhaps reinstall the Zoom application? 

It really has nothing to do with Zoom. Itā€™s an Apple issue. The iPad makes this buzzing news not only in Zoom but in Ecamm Live and other recording software. It happened in iPadOS 15 until it was updated to 15.7. Apple needs to resolve this and itā€™s been reported to support. I just wanted to let people know itā€™s still happening. 

Apple just released macOSventura 13.0.1    2hrs ago. perhaps the fix is in the update? 

Updating now and will let you know.

It appeared for me with the ipados 16 update on my M1 iPad Pro. It was fine on my iPad with 15.7 (and now 15.7.1) when connected to my MacBook Pro M1 chip running Monterey.

Me too JMLProf! 

Hikerpa
Listener

Updated my iMac to Ventura 13.0.1, iPadOS 16.1.1 and the issue remains. I do believe this is an M1 iPad issue not sure about the M2 iPad. I sure hope Apple gets it fixed soon. I can mute the iPad on Ecamm, does anyone know if thereā€™s a way to mute the iPad in Zoom?? Thanks.

JMLProf
Listener

I tried muting the iPad in multiple ways (input and output, in Zoom and system-wide with hardware and software)). All it did was give me an audio echo, which was bizarre, and didn't solve the problem. The buzz was not coming from the iPad microphone or speakers, but from the speakers I have connected to my laptop.

Mine is absolutely the iPad! In any other programs I can detach the audio from the iPad recording and delete it.

JMLProf
Listener

Here's the thread on the Apple iPad forum:  https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254327379?answerId=258171700022#258171700022

Note that one person said it is based on the USB-C port change from Lightning, and not the M1/M2 chipsets.

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi everyone, until a Mac software update is released to fix this issue, I would suggest one of these two options that some have shared in this thread šŸ™‚

• Share the iPad via airplay.
  • Join the iPad to the meeting using the Zoom iOS client and share directly from the iPad.

Carla,
Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team

This is not a solution for those of us that cannot use airplay or need to switch between sharing the Mac desktop and iPad screen. This problem makes zoom unusable for one of my main use cases. What is the timeline for fixing this problem?

This is on Apple not Zoom. It happens in other software not just Zoom. Hopefully Apple fixes it in an update soon.

Babelux
Listener

So after more than one year of this bug, absolutely nothing change. So annoying. I have to do a presentation and share the screen of my IPad with a stable option, no wireless possible, and I can't. We send Artemis to the moon but it is impossible to connect properly an iPad and Zoom šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Hi.  Untick Airplay receiver.  Connect Ipad to mac with cable.  Select share screen Ipad via Airplay.  On Ipad select Zoom screen mirror not mac.  It takes 15 seconds to connect.  should work with or without cable

Wow! amazing it works šŸŽ‰šŸŽ‰šŸŽ‰

Thank you very much, you just saved me from a difficult situation, I have a professional presentation on Thursday and I didn't know what to do šŸ„³ , Apple couldn't give me answers, so thank you !!!!

Thank you for your responsiveness, it's fabulous!