Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen sharing problem and gallery view disappear

CYim
Listener

Hi all,

I am a Mac user. I have two questions.

1. When screen sharing with iPad through wifi, the shared screen appears on me, the host, and it does not appear on the participants. Their screens are black, saying that the host is sharing the screen.

2. On screen sharing, the gallery window disappears. 

Can any of you help me? Thanks in advance.

15 REPLIES 15

DanHuber
Participant

perhaps you are sharing copy protected video content. if you try and play video from a streaming service like Netflix, HBO, Prime, etc the content will not be seen while sharing. once you stop sharing the content should reappear on your screen. 

Thanks for the reply.

No, not at all. The app I tried to share has nothing to do with copy protection. It's a drawing app on iPad. Also, everything works perfectly well on my MacBook Air. The problem only arises on iMac.

is the app notability?

Yes. It's "Scribble."

I have solved the problem. I got it from an internet Korean Naver café.

Go to Systems Preferences > Sharing: Uncheck Airplay Receiver.

Thanks,

JB_Equitable
Listener

I have the same problem.  I'm on a PC not a Mac and I can't PIN my gallery so that it stays and I see my participants while on the screen.  This happens when I share a powerpoint presentation.  I'm a trainer and so I need to be able to see my participants' faces! Help!!

this sounds like a different issue. looks like you want to lock your gallery layout. im assuming this is in a meeting not a webinar and that you are the host. you can as the host arrange the gallery and have it save but if someone else joins or leaves the meeting it will adjust the gallery. 

the setting for save gallery view, log into your zoom.us account page click settings- in meeting advanced - save gallery view. 

DanHuber_0-1644509316365.png

Thanks for your reply.  Tried this and it didn't fix the problem.  My problem relates to screen sharing of any kind.  When I share, the floating thumbnail of the room disappears and I can't get it back.  See these screenshots.  Snip 3 & 4 is what my screen looks like when I'm not sharing.

jb1099
Listener

This is still an issue for me as well. I am guessing there is no fix for this? Or maybe it is a setting. It worked for a while (seeing the gallery of participants while sharing the screen as a host), but now it is no longer working.

I have Dual monitors and use the Dual monitors setting in Zoom. Then I always have the Gallery on one screen and the Share on the other.  it's hard to tell in your attachment but are you screen sharing your desktop or Powerpoint app itself. looks like your sharing the edit presentation screen.

Hello, I believe that was a different user that included attachments. I did not. I also have dual monitors. I could not find this Dual monitors setting in Zoom, which you mentioned. Where is this setting located? Thanks

KeyLimePie
Listener

I also have dual monitors but lost the gallery when screen sharing. First time it has happened. Just ended another Zoom meeting I hosted where I could see the gallery. 

what are you sharing in Zoom? powerpoint? keynote? if you have dual monitors and you start a slide show regardless of being in Zoom you might be seeing in presenter mode which puts the presentation on the 2nd display and the preview of the slides and you notes on the first. if you are in that state when screen sharing in zoom it will over take what you see, but you can turn off presenter view in Powerpoint , or in keynote you can say to present in a window instead of full screen. then when you share you can select to just share that window. then you should still retain your gallery view on the other display. 

You may find value in joining something called the Zoom test Kitchen. (not sponsored by zoom) it's a live zoom meeting Fridays at 3pm Eastern time. you can ask live questions and test out how to do things in Zoom. 

jb1099
Listener

From what I have witnessed, this is just how Zoom functions and is not fixed with any setting. I have noticed the gallery view only stays up on screen if someone's camera is on. If everyone is off camera, the gallery view disappears. If you want gallery view but no one wants to be on camera, there should be a way to shut or cover the camera lens on your laptop/computer, but still have your camera on. Try this out, it should help. Thanks

you can still see a gallery with no ones camera on. if you click the Zoom view you can toggle show or hide non video participants. 

jb1099
Listener

My settings state 'show non video participants,' but once I start sharing, the gallery grid disappears, unless someone's camera is on.