cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving breakout room names

a__l__a__n
Listener

I have weekly meetings with breakout rooms. I use the same rooms each week, and permit attendees to choose which breakout room they will join.  After starting the meeting each time, I have to type in the breakout group names again (The names are the same every week).  Surely there is a way to save these names so they don't have to be re-typed every time, but I cannot find it.

If there is no feature for this, there surely should be!  Please!

Thanks in advance for any helpful hints.

17 REPLIES 17

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @a__l__a__n 

I'd suggest using the pre-assign breakout rooms feature to do this. I just tested this and you can pre-create the breakout rooms without actually assigning anyone to that room. Once you launch the meeting, those pre-named breakout rooms are waiting for you. 

Hope that helps and please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

Hello Bort

I tried this. When I restarted the meeting, the rooms were gone. Any ideas?

Thanks, Silvia

a__l__a__n
Listener

That sounded pretty interesting.  But it seems to only be saved in the context of a particular meeting or series of meetings.  My "weekly" meetings are actually irregular enough that I schedule each one as a separate meeting.  But looking into your suggestion led me to the idea of loading assignments from a CSV file.  After trying a couple of things I figured out that a CSV with "room name, test@test.net"  (with the same dummy email address on each line) does create the meeting rooms with the provided room names. I just have to remove the dummy email address from one of the rooms. This looks like it will work.  But it would be so much nicer if there was an option to save this CSV file from the normal group creation screen.  Anyway, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Be careful if you try the CSV idea.  It didn't work out for me.  In the meeting, I could see the breakout rooms created from CSV but attendees could not.  Apparently Zoom makes those groups only available for pre-assigned attendees. 

There is no way this is a practical solution. As slick as zoom is, this NEEDS improvement. I'm clearly not the only who needing this.

Rkt
Listener

I would also very much like this function. I would like to be able to automatically load up pre-saved breakout group room names, having nothing to do with which participants are attending that particular meeting. And I'd like to be able to pull it up for any meeting that uses my zoom room, without it having to be a specifically scheduled meeting.

Any chance of this happening this week? 🙂

Rkt
Listener

Just noticing that this is marked as solved. It's not solved.

Please mark this as not solved so it won't be forgotten. 

Rawna
Listener

So, at this time, it looks like there is no way to save the rooms from meeting to meeting or ahead of time; is this accurate? Zoom needs to create a way to save those rooms/names once entered. ASAP!!!!

Adanna_Zoom

Hello,

It may interest you to note that a recent release this month now allows you to save breakout rooms for recurring meetings - https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/206476313-Managing-breakout-rooms.

Hope this helps and please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

This does not satisfy the criteria I'm hoping Zoom will meet. "I'd like to be able to pull it up for any meeting that uses my zoom room, without it having to be a specifically scheduled meeting." Just like I can set a poll up with: "Poll or quiz enabled will be available for all your meetings", I'd like the same for Breakout Group names.

Adanna_Zoom thanks but is that saving breakout room names or saving breakout room assignments or both? Thanks!

For my purposes, it is essential to be able to save the breakout room names WITHOUT assigning people to the rooms.  We want everyone to choose the room where they will go.   And we use the same list of rooms every week.

tried it out, with just me in the room, and it saved the breakout room names without assigning anybody anywhere. in the dialog where you name the breakout rooms, click the "..." button at the bottom, and then "Save Breakout Rooms". then at your next meeting, click the "Breakout Rooms" button and those names all there. but the breakout rooms need to be re-opened, that's not automatic.

* those names will all be there

I tried this a while back and couldn't get it to work.  Sounds like I should try it again.  Thanks for the note.

nico33
Listener

So many requests yet nothing has been done! I've submitted feedback today. Hope to see this basic feature made available soon. Thank you.