cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording saved as mp4 but can't hear audio

Flor1976
Listener

Hello everyone

English is not my native language but I will try to explain.

I use to record videos where I am the only person talking, sometimes sharing screen, sometimes only taliking without sharing screen or document.

I tried today to record a video like that and when the recording finished, and I open de the MP4 file in my local drive to check it, video is not including audio¡¡¡ 

I tried several times with sharing screen and without sharing screen and all of them is the same, no audio only video.

I uninstalled software and installed again, and tried as well several times only talking  and others sharing screen and it is the same.

I don't know what to do, hopefully somebody can help me to fix it. 

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello Dan

I found what was the problem and now it is fixed 👏👏👏

The default player for my laptop was the one included in by factory called "Movies and TV" I changed the player to "Windows media player" and now I can hear the audio for the Zoom recording.

Thanks for your help on this topic. I hope this response helps to someboby else if is experiencing the same problem.

Best Regards

Flor

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Dan_ZoomSE
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello @Flor1976,

It sounds like either your mic was muted in zoom app, your headset was muted (hardware button), or most likely your Zoom app had the wrong microphone selected (possibly the built-in mic or headphone jack) so nothing was bing picked up.

Please try again but before you start recording, click the up arrow next to the Mute/UnMute button in the bottom left of your Zoom window and then click Audio Settings.  This will open the Zoom client settings and allow you to verify the selected mic as well as do an audio test.

Once you confirm your mic is working, then go back to your meeting, verify that Zoom shows unmuted in the bottom left, and then click record.

If this has answered your question, please click the Accept as Solution button below so that others in the Community may benefit as well.

Thanks!

Hello Dan thanks for your reply

I have done like 20 times  the audio testing, verified the audio selected was the one from my computer and I also verified my mic is unmuted, I have verified my zoom settings, my computer audio settings, even my camera settings and everything seems to be OK, but after recording like 20 testing videos the problem is still there.

Then it seems we need to go deeper to see what else is causing this problem 😞

Dan_ZoomSE

Can you share your setup with me?  

• Computer
    • OS Version
    • Zoom Client version
  • Mic
  • Speaker
  • Camera

Also a screen capture of your Zoom client settings for audio?

Thanks

Hello Dan

This is the requested information, please let me know if you need anything else. BTW I also deleted cache on the browser, but the issue is still happening

• Zoom Client version

Flor1976_0-1641943257393.png

• Computer OS Version

Flor1976_1-1641943352558.png

Mic & speaker

Flor1976_4-1641944949753.png

Audio zoom settings

Flor1976_3-1641944111625.png

Flor1976_6-1641945242197.png

Camera

Flor1976_5-1641945087621.png

Dan_ZoomSE

Do you have a USB headset, mic, or mic/speaker that you can connect to your computer as a test?

I thought I had replied, sorry I don't have

Hello Dan I hope you are fine

Do you have any update? I have tried every single day to see if t his has been solved, but I am still having same problem

Dan_ZoomSE

@Flor1976 ,

Most likely cause is the wrong mic being selected, or the mic being tied up by another app.  

Make sure all other apps that may use your mic (FaceTime, Twitch, Skype, Teams, WebEx,  etc.) are closed.

Then go to audio settings in the Zoom App and test mic.  If you see more than one mic in the drop down test all of them.  

once you confirm a working mic in settings, then start a meeting, make sure the same mic is selected, and try a recording.

If this has answered your question, please click the Accept as Solution button below so that others in the Community may benefit as well.

Thanks!

Hello Dan

I found what was the problem and now it is fixed 👏👏👏

The default player for my laptop was the one included in by factory called "Movies and TV" I changed the player to "Windows media player" and now I can hear the audio for the Zoom recording.

Thanks for your help on this topic. I hope this response helps to someboby else if is experiencing the same problem.

Best Regards

Flor

Flor,

Changing to Windows Media Player worked for me as well.  For a while there, I thought I had lost important data.  Thanks for posting. 

Matt

Hi, I'm glad your problem was resolved. I was so hoping mine would work using Media Player - alas, I still have no sound on a recording. 

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. 

Hi Flor 

I tried again (I had selected Media Player not WINDOWS Media Player) and it worked!! 

Thank you so so much! 

I have been trying for so long to solve this. Have a wonderful week 🙂 

Thank you @Flor1976 !!! Opening with Windows Media Player worked for me too 😄

Same thing worked for me. I'm glad I kept scrolling. 🙂
I can't believe it was that simple a fix. 

Flor, 

Thank you so much for posting this solution!

I now have sound on my local zoom recordings when I choose Windows Media Player. 

So where did you select Windows Media Player? 

I do not see this as an option in the Zoom meeting setting!!

Still unsolved.

This worked for me as well. Thanks!!

NOPE! Changing media players did not work for me. I have tried all devices as well.

danipaige
Listener | Zoom Partner
Listener | Zoom Partner

Hello! I'm curious where to find this Windows Media option? Is this in my zoom account? Or on my mac somewhere? Thanks for any help you have! 

This answer is NOT helpful and NOT accurate. Everyone knows to check their Mic and speaker. 

This is the 3RD time Zoom fails to record and important meeting. There were five participants, we here each other, this means mic and speakers were fine. A the "mute participants" in the initial setup was not checked. Still Zoom recording failed. Very awful.

I need a reliable app,  and I'm not ready to spent time of fixing apps that are supposed to help me. 

I am switching to MS Teams. 

I agree. I held a four hour workshop, and recorded it on Zoom. I checked twice at the beginning that the mic was working, using Zoom's own check that "microphone is working" feature, just to be sure all was in order. I had five external experts present for the meeting. I have recorded content using Zoom several times before for teaching exercises, and never had an issue. But then when I came back to analyze the content of the workshop, which was crucial for an expensive project, all of the audio was missing. I have opened in Windows media player, opened in the Zoom app itslef, and opened only the audio file. All are dead silent. What's worse, is that I am completely unable to prove that I actually had tested the microphone. Extremely expensive and discouraging loss of data.

Hello Dan,

The same thing happened to me, however I've been using zoom for recording for some time and this has never happened.

Also, I know it was not muted because I did a check and it repeated my voice in the test. 

I really would like to recover the audio of my video because it was 30 minutes long and I really don't want to have to do it over.

Is there any way you can help me?

Thanks

Kerry007
Listener

I'm having the same problem, I've tried s many times and still no audio in a recorded meeting. Hope someone can shed some light on this dilemma 

Glorybarn
Listener

An option  that worked for me is this... in the drop down icon beside the mic icon, I clicked  "same as system ( microphone( realtek high definition audio ))" in the select a microphone section and

" same as system ( speakers/ headphones( realtek high definition audio ))" in the select a speaker section.  All this time the default options where headphones for both microphone and speaker when I wasn't using any headphones. Iguess the deal is to choose the  actual option you are using. It played with audio with all the video players I have in my PC.

Area140
Listener

I just ran into a similar situation. I hosted and recorded a Zoom meeting using a Yeti USB microphone. When I tried to replay the recording there was no sound. I looked at the Zoom settings and changed a few things with no change. Then I disconnected the Yeti USB mic and then I was able to hear the sound on the recording. I suspect the audio was trying to route through the microphone. Though when I performed the audio tests before recording I know the speakers were NOT set to the USB mic?  So the problem is gone but not sure why or how that happened?