cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording file playback with video and audio suddenly unavailable

rpachin
Listener

Normally when I record a meeting, I get a Playback file which is the video and audio. Now I'm only seeing an audio only, video only (no sound) and one called Recording (not Playback) which won't play on my computer (does not appear to be an mp4?) Do I now need another app to play the recording or is there a setting I can change so the video plays with sound? I've checked my microphone and it is working ,and have allowed permissions on my computer. It seems to be an issue with the file.

9 REPLIES 9

jeremyjustin
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @rpachin thanks for the post to the Zoom Community! Typically for scenarios like this where things worked a certain way and now they don't, we look at settings to see if anything has changed. Depending on your situation, your user account may be managed by someone in your company in which case they can make changes in the Account or Group settings, and if there were changes made it could impact your settings at the user level. 

If you log into the Zoom portal and check your Settings, then the Recording tab, you can verify things are the way you would like them to be:

jeremyjustin_0-1641413247077.jpeg

If you are doing a local recording instead, you can double check settings in your Zoom client's settings:

jeremyjustin_1-1641413525099.jpeg

Hopefully this helps. If this has answered your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button below. If not please let us know. Thank you!

I own my own business and no one uses my room, so it is not likely my settings were changed by someone else.

It seems like zoom changed something because I've never had an issue and have never changed my settings.

I do not see this menu when I click on Recordings/Local. Where is the "zoom client settings" you're referring to?

Here's what I see when I click on Recordings/Settings.

rpachin_0-1641481499888.png

jeremyjustin

hi @rpachin ok good to know you are the only one with access to your settings in the portal. Zoom wouldn't change your portal settings either so there must be something else at play. 

When you record, are you choosing cloud recording? Since you have the "local recording" setting enabled in the portal, it is possible to choose "Record on this Computer" or "Record to the Cloud." 

jeremyjustin_0-1641490960598.png

There are some settings in the Zoom client that apply to local recordings only, if you are on Windows or Mac you can find these settings by opening the Zoom client and clicking the small "Settings" wheel in the upper right

jeremyjustin_1-1641491324618.jpeg

If you record local, you are telling Zoom to store the raw audio/video file on your computer and then after the meeting ends, the recording will be processed on your computer and converted to a .mp4 file. If you happen to close or sign out of your computer before the file is processed you can end up with a partial/invalid file that cannot be opened. 

Recording to the cloud avoids this chance for errors since the processing happens in Zoom's back end. 

If this has answered your question to your satisfaction, please click the "Accept as Solution" button below but if not please reply and we can continue the  discussion. Thank you!

I understand and have tried all of this, and nothing changes the file format or lack of sound in the recording.  The file format used to be an MP4 and was labeled "playback" regardless of whether a local file or on the cloud. Now, I do not see my recordings saved in the cloud, and if I save locally, I get: 1) an audio file 2) a video file (with no sounds) and 3) a file with a .conf extension (NOT mp4) which will not play back on my computer through windows media player or itunes. 

jeremyjustin

Hi @rpachin got it. Ok, at this point we have opened a ticket so that our support group can work directly with you more closely and get to the bottom of the issue. Thanks for taking it this far, the support ticket will get you someone dedicated to continue the process! You will be receiving an email with all the details. 

If this has answered your question to your satisfaction, please click the "Accept as Solution" button below but if not please reply and we can continue the  discussion. Thank you!

I am having the same problem with a .conf extension.  Is there a solution to this?

rpachin
Listener

ok thank you I will look for an email.

GnJ
Listener

I am looking for an answer to a similar situation. After downloading my files for a single Cloud-recorded meeting, I have 3 separate files on my computer. I don't know how to watch the video (on my computer) WITH its audio.
Is this because I have this Cloud Recording setting checked?: "[checkbox] Record audio-only files" 

If so, there should be a notice that doing this will mean that when you want to download your cloud recordings, you will only have separate files, nothing with video and audio together. 

I have the same question - how do I view downloaded cloud recording.  My settings give the attendees the option to download the recording. I want to test this so I can answer questions.  I downloaded the cloud recording and have the same three files as described above - all without a means to open and or access the meeting audio, video, or transcript.  What gives?