cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording Speaker and ASL interpreters?

JavierS
Listener

I recently  recorded a meeting featuring a speaker simultaneous sign language interpretation.  I spotlighted the speaker and the 2 ASL interpreters.   I recorded the meeting but when I downloaded the recording, only the speaker was recorded.   HOw can I make sure all of the spotlighted speakers/video is recorded?  This was really disappointing!

10 REPLIES 10

beardbrad
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Javier,

Currently cloud recordings will only record the original audio of the meeting, not the translations. If you locally record the meeting, it will record the audio chosen by that participant.  Using Language Intepretation in Zoom 

If this answered your question, please mark it as a solution so it may help others.

Brad

Bort

@beardbrad , I doubt they were using the language interpretation feature for ASL (American Sign Language), so that's likely not the issue. 

@JavierS I believe the issue is that cloud recordings do not yet support multiple spotlighted participants, only the last spotlighted participant. Let me double-check and confirm that is the case. 

THanks for checking in on that.    Should I be recording the screen on my own computer to make sure that all of the spotlighted persons are recorded.   

What is the ASL feature?  I didn't know it existed and how do the ASL interpreters access it.  This is really important.   

Bort

@JavierS I've confirmed that cloud recordings only support recording the first spotlighted participant, even though up to 9 can be spotlighted in the meeting. 

In this case, it would be best for you to record locally to your computer, instead of the cloud, as local recordings should capture both you and the spotlighted ASL interpreters. 

Unfortunately, we have no dedicated feature for ASL interpretation. We have a language interpretation feature, but this is designed for multiple audio tracks of different spoken languages, not ASL or any other sign language. 

Hope that helps and please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

JavierS
Listener

One more question, I appreciate your assistance.   When you say record locally, do you mean that I indicate on the Zoom online dashboard, that the recording should be stored locally?  Of do you mean something else.  I wish I knew the lingo better.   

Bort

Hi @JavierS, here is a simple breakdown of local and cloud recording: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360059781332

Where you record is generally decided in the live meeting, but you can also set a meeting to auto-record as well. 

CG5978
Attendee

Please ask Zoom to enhance the product to include native Sign Language interpretation options... you can post your request here: Feedback - Zoom.
Sign Language interpretation should be on par with spoken language interpretation instead of relegated to workarounds like spotlighting that make it difficult to use and have limitations.

SandraMRP
Listener

To deal with this situation I select these: Follow host view, Side-by-side view, Hide non-video participants

Spotlight your speaker and your ASL interpreter. I usually have two interpreters because they rotate every 15/20 minutes. When the new interpreter enters, he/she clicks on Replace spotlight in the three dots on the right upper corner of the current interpreter. This way they have get in the spotlight. The interpreter that finished, just turns off the video and they "disappear" until the next rotation. This way they are recorded. 

knguyen
Listener

Hi, if i do the interpetation feature at the bottom, and put the ASL interpreters in the room and then we do breakout, if they ASL stay in main room and I record, are the ASL interpreters recorded?