cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulseaudio and Zoom audio incompatibility : Possible Bug in Program

SimonJames
Listener

After upgrading from Zoom 5.6 to Zoom 5.7+. I have noticed a problem on my Linux machine. (Manjaro - that uses Arch Linux)

When hosting a meeting I attempt to share my sound and a video (I tick the appropriate boxes). Those that are viewing the meeting report that the sound is of a lower quality and is "crackly" When I open the linux audio mixer I find that the video's sound is not playing through the normal system "built in analog" setting but is playing " zoom_combine_device" setting. When I then manually change the setting back to "built in analog" The sound returns to normal. The problem is that everytime I play a new video the sound system resets to the "zoom_combine_device" and the problem returns and I can only fix the problem while the video is running. I have Pulseaudio sound server installed that is the regular sound server for Linux machines.

Specs of Machine:

Host: HP Pavilion Laptop 15-cc0xx
Kernel: 5.15.50-1-MANJARO
Resolution: 1366x768
WM: Xfwm4
CPU: Intel i3-7100U (4) @ 2.400GHz
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 620
Memory: 3453MiB / 7835MiB

4 REPLIES 4

UK_Dave
Listener

I have the same problem in Linux Mint even after upgading to the latest v21 XFCE.  It took me a while to work out that Zoom was re-routing the Voice engine output from the speakers to the Zoom combine input which feeds back into the voice engine causing a howl round.  I have sympathy for the Zoom coders, the Pulse audio system inputs and outputs are really confusing!  Happy to test any fixes for you guys, thanks for creating Zoom it helped a lot of support groups grow during the pandemic. 💜

toddy_engineer
Listener

@SimonJames @UK_Dave could you try the new 5.11.9 package ? some audio sharing logic changes in this version.

Thanks toddy, I'm now on 5.12.0 and it is fixed! Sorry for not getting back sooner, this is really appreciated.  Pass on my thanks to the guys 🙂

Still seeing this error in 5.15.3.