cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plantronics Blackwire C720-M (USB headset) with Windows 10 - Supported on Zoom?

B-O
Listener

Hi!

I have an opportunity to try a older USB headset device, the Plantronics Blackwire C720-M. For example, in meetings at Zoom.

I use a laptop with Windows 10.

In the article ”Supported USB HID devices for the Zoom desktop client”, under Poly, there is a list of supported HID devices made by Poly where, among others, the “Blackwire 7225” is listed.

The Plantronics Blackwire C720-M, which is from 2013, when the company was named Plantronics & Polycom, is not listed.

On the other hand, in the article, under “Limitations”, it also says: “Supported USB audio devices on Windows are not limited to this list. Generally, the Zoom desktop client on Windows supports buttons for devices made by these manufacturers: AVer, Crestron, Jabra, Logitech, Plantronics, Polycom, Shure, Yamaha, and Yealink.”.

Taking the above into account (for example the mentioning under “Limitations” of both Plantronics and Polycom) it makes me a bit uncertain when it comes to the Plantronics Blackwire C720-M, and older advice in general.

Two questions:

1. Does this list, or list in general regarding supported HID devices, have a limit of age under which devices older than a certain year of manufacture will not be included (with specific models listed in particular)? If so, what is that limit (in years)?

2. Regarding the Blackwire C720-M headset, used with Windows 10: Is there any information if it will have, more or less limited, support at Zoom?

Kind regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MarkZizzamia
Listener

You're correct in that generally any USB headset, regardless of age, that is recognized and interfacing with Windows/Mac should work with the Zoom desktop client, however your mileage may vary in so far as the headset physical buttons appropriately interacting with the client (HID).

Today, Zoom Certified personal devices have gone through Zoom's certification process and are guaranteed to meet audio qualification standards and support expected HID interface commands (Mute Sync, Volume control etc). Zoom also has a list of Supported USB peripherals which means the device is going to work and is formally supported by Poly/Zoom but HID commands are limited and the device has not gone through that formal certification process by Zoom.

Unfortunately anything not listed by Zoom as being a Supported or Certified device will not be supported by Zoom or Poly formally in so far as software updates etc. and may not interact with the Zoom client as expected.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have further questions!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

alexisbrown
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @B-O ,

These are two really interesting questions! I feel confident you are not the first to ask these questions. In trying to do some research to get you some insight, I stumbled across the same knowledge article that you already referenced. I would assume that if older model headsets are not listed, then they are not recommended for use. However, I am certainly no headset guru. I would love to see if there are any experts on this community who could help provide you some insight... I'll try to reach out to some folks to see if they can weigh in 😎.

Thanks!

Alexis

Alexis
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Thanks for your concern Alexis!

Your guess is about the same as mine, and I'm certently no expert either, but somehow, that was what I thought when posting the question, it would be reasonable if the C720-M would be supported - after all, the technology of headsets is no rocket science and the innovations made since 2013 couldn't be that big (to be a software compatibility problem), as far as MHO is anything worth, but than again, that is actually something I'm not so sure about... So here we are, to friendly guessers, hoping fore some brilliant answers... and, like you, I'm quite sure there are some folks out there, my self included, that will appreciate a thorough info update on the subject 🙂

Kind regards

MarkZizzamia
Listener

You're correct in that generally any USB headset, regardless of age, that is recognized and interfacing with Windows/Mac should work with the Zoom desktop client, however your mileage may vary in so far as the headset physical buttons appropriately interacting with the client (HID).

Today, Zoom Certified personal devices have gone through Zoom's certification process and are guaranteed to meet audio qualification standards and support expected HID interface commands (Mute Sync, Volume control etc). Zoom also has a list of Supported USB peripherals which means the device is going to work and is formally supported by Poly/Zoom but HID commands are limited and the device has not gone through that formal certification process by Zoom.

Unfortunately anything not listed by Zoom as being a Supported or Certified device will not be supported by Zoom or Poly formally in so far as software updates etc. and may not interact with the Zoom client as expected.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have further questions!

Thanks for fast reply Mark!

It was thorough - and a little bit what I suspected, i.e., older headset device would work, but more or less limited in regards of HID functionality.

In the case with my intended use of the C720-M it would, probably, have worked for most of my purposes, but not for all. So, most likely, I'll will go for some newer device, listed in the supported links as mentioned above - and for my personal needs that answered the question as well as it solved the choice of device dilemma.

Kind regards

alexisbrown
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

@B-O , I'm glad that Mark's reply was helpful (thank you @MarkZizzamia !). I encourage you to mark Mark's reply as the solution (select the "Accept as Solution" button within his reply) to help let others know that a solution was provided in case others have a similar question when browsing the community 😊.

Thanks all!

Alexis

Alexis
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?