cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Participants unable to unmute themselves?

Mindfuljoe
Listener

My participants this morning were unable to 'unmute' themselves for discussion. Instead a prompt said this:"The host is not allowing participants to unmute themselves."

When I attempted to troubleshoot options, Under In meeting (advanced) there is a feature to gain permission to turn on participants, I have tried several times astill unable to enable this feature. Please help.

23 REPLIES 23

Arbomex
Listener

I have the same problem, any suggestion?

RogerOakes
Listener

I downloaded and installed the most current release this morning and found the same problem.  Last week, last release it worked fine.  To resolve, I opened the 'participants' tab and found the option 'Allow users to unmute themselves' was not selected.  I selected it and the users were able to login and unmute themselves.  

This is a major issue for the system, should be resolved ASAP and not wait for next release cycle. 

This happened for the first time during an important meeting. Hi there - we have been having the same zoom meeting every week since the pandemic. Suddenly last week, participants could not unmute themselves unless the host asked them to. Has there been some significant change since this will be a big problem for us. I opened the meeting this morning to do some searching on this. "Allow participants to unmute" was checked. This is a real problem and I see zoom is not responding

jamesx
Listener

I also have the same issue.  As we have a permanent room where co-worker can join whenever and chat.  This means that admin isn't always in the room.  Before this works fine, but we just noticed today that unless admin joins and enables the feature, no one can unmute themselves.

The setting for "Mute all Participants when joining, they can request permission to unmute" is not enabled in our account settings.

This should be considered a bug, and it is very frustrating.

eastbayzoom
Listener

Finding the exact same issue.  Not sure whether it's a bug or a new "feature".

Mindfuljoe
Listener

Thank you for your reply. I am hoping Zoom corrects this issue soon.

RogerOakes
Listener

I downloaded newer version this morning, 5.10.7 (3311) dated today and found that the participants could unmute themselves.  I believe it's corrected, with new version.  YMMV. 

Roger

JamesBaker
Attendee

This is the new in-meeting setting which recently appeared: https://community.zoom.com/t5/Meetings/Allow-participants-to-unmute-themselves/m-p/59172/thread-id/3...

The host can fix it in the meeting, but I haven't found any way to control the default yet.

dmikushin
Listener

This issue has just recently returned to Linux client. The version is 5.12.6 (173). It happens only for some meetings, perhaps only those where admins have touched the muting sessions. Admin's attempt to allow the participant to unmute does not help. There is no solution known so far, but switching from Linux client to MacOS client helps.

Excedo
Listener | Zoom Partner
Listener | Zoom Partner

This is also affecting us really badly. Please finally fix this bug!

Every time "Participants unable to unmute themselves" appears for me in Zoom client for Linux, I go to Zoom website, download & install the fresh version of client. Then the error disappears. So this error message is a weird way Zoom uses to ask us to update the client program. How many Linux clients do they have, maybe 1%? We should be glad that it even works...

Excedo
Listener | Zoom Partner
Listener | Zoom Partner

There's no "fresher" version of the client available: Version 5.17.5 (2543) and no, I'm not glad - because it actually does not work 😕

Out of curiosity, please try 5.17.1 (1840), which still works well for me in Ubuntu. 

Excedo
Listener | Zoom Partner
Listener | Zoom Partner

No, that version doesn't work either. I believe it's rather a server-side issue, not a client-side one.

Lemonbutter
Listener

I also experienced this issue in my Linux client recently. So I updated zoom client to the latest version 5.17.5 (2543), but it didn't work. I can't give up my Linux OS for now, so I hope this issue is to be fixed soon.

Please check again that you have updated the client indeed.

Of course I confirmed that the client was up to date.

I do have exactly the same problem.

Since update to 5.17.5 (2543) on Linux Mint 21.2 I am muted by default and unable to unmute. Error message tells me, unmute is forbidden by host. But it isn't. No chance to unmute. Even if asked to unmute by host.

For enabling video it is the same.

I have the exact same problem.  Pop_OS with the latest version of zoom.

Popup message: "The host is not allowing participants to unmute themselves."

The host does something on my end to "enable" this.

I click again and the exact same message as above appears.  I cannot unmute.  I also cannot use video.  This is frustrating.

Workaround: When opening the zoom client from a zoom url in your browser, a browser window that itself will have a link saying something like  "Having problems? Open in the browser".   Just do that.  

same problem, not working on Linux Mint

hasculdr
Listener

i have the same problem on 5.17.5 (2543) linux-client. 5.16.10 works fine (my host uses this version on windows)

brianjcohen
Listener

I am able to reproduce this problem on 5.17.5 (2543) Linux client as well.  It does not seem to be limited to any one host or host organization.  It's become very disruptive to my workflow to have to switch to an entirely different computer (a spare Windows laptop) in order to participate on Zoom calls. 

brianjcohen
Listener

SOLVED:  I have an update that will hopefully help my fellow Linux users on this thread and anyone else that finds this thread.  Credit where due, a good friend of mine actually knew the answer to this having experienced it firsthand.

The problem can only be reproduced when the host is recording the meeting.  When you join a meeting that is being recorded, the Zoom client presents a dialog indicating the the host is recording the meeting, and you must click "OK" on this dialog in order to be allowed to unmute yourself.  

On the Windows client, this dialog is very noticeable. It's floating right above the Unmute button.  However, on the Linux client, it's in a "doorhanger" at the top of the Zoom window. I had no idea it was there until it was pointed out to me.  The "OK" button is embedded in the doorhanger dialog and is barely noticeable unless you are looking for it.