cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Participants see dark gray box when I screen share, but there is nothing on my screen

darylfoster
Listener

I host Zoom meetings an an iMac running macOS Monterey 12.2.1 with an external monitor. I'm running Zoom Client version 5.9.6 (4993). Whenever I share my screen (either monitor), participants see a dark gray box in the lower right corner of the screen.

Here's the screen I'm sharing:

Screen Shot 2022-03-13 at 1.13.15 PM (2).png

Here's what participants see:

ZoomScreenshot_2022-03-13_13-13-25.png

 Is there any way to figure out what's causing that gray box?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I fixed the issue by setting Screen capture mode to "Capture with window filtering".

I accessed this setting by going to Settings -> Share Screen -> Advanced -> Screen capture mode

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

darylfoster
Listener

By the way, the box only appears when I select "Optimize for video clip".

Hey @darylfoster if you hide windows but do a optimize for full screen, you may see those boxes in some cases. You can also try enabling/disabling the Hardware Acceleration.

Lastly, update the Zoom client if there's an update available 5.9.6 or uninstall Zoom and try reinstalling. 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

I fixed the issue by setting Screen capture mode to "Capture with window filtering".

I accessed this setting by going to Settings -> Share Screen -> Advanced -> Screen capture mode

Happy you sloved your problem!

When I go to settings>screen sharing ... I don't see "Advanced" or "Screen capture mode" ??

here's a pic of what I see:

That looks like the web page settings. You need to run the Zoom Client and go to its settings.

Okay, I'm really missing something here. I sign in, go to my settings, and don't see what you are referring to. Dumb Q, but what is "Zoom Client" and how do I get there once I'm signed in?

Thanks so much for your help!

The "Zoom Client" is the Zoom app that you download and install on your local machine. Once you've done that, you can change the Screen Capture Mode.

Here's the Zoom Client. Press the "gear" icon to get to the settings.

Screen Shot (1).png

 In the Settings window, select "Share Screen".

Screen Shot (2).png

 Then press "Advanced".

Screen Shot (3).png

 Finally, select "Capture with window filtering" from the "Screen capture mode" drop down.

Screen Shot (4).png

Hope that helps.

_ZoomUser_
Participant

Is that the videos of the participants? 

Sometime I see this gray box during screen sharing too. It might be the videos of the participants. Or maybe the chat window. Or the meeting controls. You can close them if it is. 

The first screen shot shows the host screen. I closed ALL open windows on that screen, but participants still see the gray box.

No the gray box is not caused by the videos of the participants. The first screen shot shows the host screen. As you can see, there are no windows at all open on that screen. The second screen shot is from a second computer viewing my screen share. The gray box seen on the second computer does not correspond to anything on the host screen.

FriendlyWebDr
Attendee

Here's a great short vid that explains it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQpR56a3pi0

angelacv
Listener

I've tried everything that was mentioned here. I've even uninstalled and reinstalled Zoom client. 
Nothing worked. 😞
My participants keep seeing the gray boxes covering shared screen. 

I'm using Windows 8.1

The workaround has been using two monitors, one to share screen and the other to see the participants video and zoom annotation tools. 

I've been using Zoom since 2018...never had this issue