cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Participant videos freezing

CN
Listener

I have used Zoom for over 19 months with no issue. Suddenly, in the last 3 weeks, my clients videos are freezing, I can hear them but can't see them. They can see and hear me. I have tested the internet connection speed and have done the check from multiple locations. I have a feeling this started after my last software update. Anyone else experiencing the same? BTW this is happening with multiple groups of clients. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

VA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @CN Please try adjusting the video settings in Zoom Client -> Settings -> Video -> Advanced -> Uncheck Receiving Video in the section (Use hardware acceleration for), and see if this solves the issue. 

video freeze.png

Virginia (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

View solution in original post

75 REPLIES 75

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Related to @VA 's response, this could also require updating your video drivers on your device. As Zoom tweaks and enhances our video processing, this can go beyond or become incompatible with what is supported by your device and its drivers. Updating your video drivers can help solve incompatibilities between your video drivers and Zoom's video processing.

If @VA suggestion doesn't resolve it on your end, I'd suggest looking at the Support site of the brand of device you've purchased. There you should be able to look up your exact device's model and find the correct and most up-to-date video drivers. 

thanks for that. i used "the solution" listed in this thread and it worked. i had updated everything to no avail.

pietraap
Listener

I'm facing the same problem here! I'll try your tips"

Thanks!

Kiaatstc
Listener

Thank you for the tip.  I will try it today.  Fingers, toes, and eyes crossed.  

anneb
Listener

Exactly the same thing here, both on my HP desktop and my HP laptop.  I can briefly unfreeze the other client's videos by changing from gallery view to speaker view, or back again.  I will  try this solution and post again with results.

VictoriaLF
Listener

Yes! Finally! This very thing is happening to me! Is there a fix???

See above for fix - follow the step and it works for groups and individuals

VictoriaLF
Listener

You would think that with so many folks having this very same issue that Zoom would fix it!!! Come on Zoom, I am paying good money! 

if you are paying good money, zoom offers you support, i'm fairly certain.  i have the free set-up, so i get no help, except for here.

if you are paying good money, Zoom should offer you support. They do not offer support for free people.

karen1
Listener

Hi i have followed the instructions for the fix. It is better in that it is not constantly freezing, with me having to unfreeze throughout the meeting. However it will now pause audio and video it will start again on its own but there is then a delay and miss some of what is said.  Any advice for this please

Jamie7
Listener

Exact same issue for me too! Only over the past 3 weeks. To survive my meetings, I've been changing the view from "speaker" to "gallery" and it will unfreeze their video, but only for 1-3 minutes. Sooo frustrating.

Try the solution, it worked for me.

robinrgraham
Listener

did the recommended solution work for you? i'm in the process of working with DELL. i need help.  

pbullen
Listener

The same thing is happening to me.  It started about 4 weeks ago.

yep.  have tried everything. dell was going to replace my motherboard on a 6th-month old computer.  i hope the suggested setting change helps.  i'll find out tomorrow when i go to work! And...it worked!

The solution worked for me try it!

Sean77
Listener

Exactly same issue, recently

Do solution work for me try it

where is zoom client? 

HLAA-SF-EastBay
Attendee

I been having the same problem for several weeks, both as host and as participant.

I have experienced the problem on versions  5.7.7 and 5.7.6.  (Maybe even 5.7.5, I do not remember).

I am running Win10, 

- With August 10, 2021—KB5005033 (OS Builds 19041.1165, 19042.1165, and 19043.1165)

- and September 1, 2021—KB5005101 (OS Builds 19041.1202, 19042.1202, and 19043.1202) Preview

Another machine with Win10

- With August 10, 2021—KB5005033 (OS Builds 19041.1165, 19042.1165, and 19043.1165)

- without September 1, 2021—KB5005101 (OS Builds 19041.1202, 19042.1202, and 19043.1202) Preview

A third machine with Win11 beta (via Windows Insiders)

- With Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22000 (co_release)

- with 2021-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems (KB5006050)

Hearing Loss Assn of America - SF/East Bay Chapter
www.HearingLossEB.org
info@hearinglosseb.org / 510.221.6080

robinrgraham
Listener

i'm sorry but i don't know. please look through some solutions and try. mine doesn't freeze anymore. good luck.

magician101
Listener

What does unchecking 'Receiving Video' actually do?

cfichten
Listener

Doesn't work!😥

to be clear, did you check video processing and sending video and uncheck receiving video? if so, i'd call your internet provider and make sure you are getting the mb you should. you need a great high-speed to zoom. good luck.

FriendlyWebDr
Attendee

I have been having the same problem with videos freezing. I switched from trying to show them within my Keynote presentation to putting the vids on my desktop,  going to screen share, then opening the vids with Quicktime.

This system worked well for a short while but failed during the last webinar.

PLEASE try to fix this -- it creates HUGE anxiety and uncertainty because some of my webinars RELY on video demonstrations.

FriendlyWebDr
Attendee
Respectfully, Zoom always reverts it back to there being a problem on our end. Not to say it can't be, but this is a recurring issue, and the problem is most likely on Zoom's end.

I'm using a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021, with the Apple M1 Max chip and loaded with extra power/RAM0; Marcos Monterey 12.6, and my Zoom app is updated.

We ought to simply be able to show vids in our presentations without the unreliability that they will freeze.

Please, employ a tech team to fix the problem on your end!

FriendlyWebDr
Attendee

Respectfully and with no sarcasm intended, here's a suggestion for the Zoom techies: so many people play vids while leading webinars and meetings, right? For me, they are essential to what I teach, as they are to so many other Zoom users. And when they freeze, it's DISASTROUS!  So why not simply fix the problem from Zoom's end by having a single box we can check that says, "I want to play videos"?  (Yes, we need to have our Zoom app updated.) Even better, why can't that just happen automatically? Do we really need a default that does not let us play videos (no)?

Mike_C
Listener

Unchecking Receiving video did not fix video freezing in Oct, 2022.  Video freezes on a driver updated computer, but on a cellphone the video plays fine.

I THINK THERE WAS A TAD MORE THAN JUST UNCHECKING THAT.  NOT SURE, BUT "THE FIX" DID FIX MY ISSUE.  GOOD LUCK.

FriendlyWebDr
Attendee

Yes, even when everything on our end is up to date, speed, and checked and unchecked properly, vids can still freeze. Some techy friends claim the problem is too many people are probably using Zoom at a time for the platform to handle the load. 

garynfm
Listener

I am having the same problem. I have used Zoom for several years, and I have had no problems at all. A few days ago I updated the Zoom platform as requested, and now my screen keeps freezing. The student can hear me, but my picture is frozen. This problem comes and goes. I think it has everything to do with the update. Is anyone else having this same problem?

hutch4re
Listener

I have exactly the reverse problem. I appear perfect on my computer, but my video is fozen or jerkey for all other participants.  Everything was fine until a few weeks ago.  

FriendlyWebDr
Attendee

Our belief is Zoom was overloaded with vid capacity during covid, which caused freezing. But it's been fine the past year. If participants' vids are freezing and not yours, maybe they all have poor IN connections, need to update their Zoom app, etc.

It is consistently occuring many different Zoom conferences and many different participants. I am the only person they seem to be having a problem with.

BlueIslandLib
Listener

For me, changing 'Video Rendering Method' (settings>video>advanced) to anything other than 'Auto' or 'Direct3D11 Flip Mode' solved the frozen video problem.  In my case, changed to 'Direct3D11' (without flip mode). -mb