cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook Plugin Wont uninstall

aadeboje1
Listener

We deploy zoom outlook plugin msi through SCCM in our environment.  If we manually install/uninstall or go through sccm to upgrade a previous outlook plugin install we get these errors. The zoom cleanup tool doesnt work for the plugin.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to force remove the plugin so a reinstall can work? We are full IT admins for our org and there only a handful of these issues but they are growing.

19 REPLIES 19

jaredallen
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @aadeboje1,

Please can you try downloading a copy of the Outlook Plugin from the following location to the affected machine:

https://www.zoom.us/client/latest/ZoomOutlookPluginSetup.msi

Then start a command prompt and run the following command from the location where the file was downloaded:

msiexec.exe /x “ZoomOutlookPluginSetup.msi”

Hopefully this should launch the uninstaller.

Please let me know if this resolves your issue. If so, don’t forget to mark the reply as an accepted solution! 

I am also having the same issue.  I installed from the link you gave, ran the command and still get an error.  Any help would be appreciated.

i have also same issue please help

The Uninstaller is looking for an .msi file that has nothing to do with Zoom. Will not

I did what you wrote and still get an error.  The zoom plugin for outlook is invasive. I uninstalled Zoom but Outlook keeps trying to connect when I create an event and invite participants.

No my friend, that´s not the solution, it doesn´t work

It fixed my issue with Zoom.

jaredallen

Hi @aadeboje1 ,

Did you manage to resolve this issue? Let me know if I can be of any further assistance?

I am having the same issue.  I continually receive an error message that says a network resource is unavailable.  It is looking for an installation package containing '5.8.6.170.msi'.  It also prevents me from installing Zoom updates.

I have the same problem aadeboje, and the proposed solution does not work for me. I get the message from Windows Installer "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed'".

I too am having the same problem. The msiexec /x call fails "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed'", whilst trying to reinstall the plugin fails because it cannot find the uninstaller  (in my case 5.11.0.532.msi). There is another installer in the AppData cache 5.11.3.563.msi but using that  fails "is not a valid installation package for the Zoom Outlook Plugin

Any movement on this?  The    ....../X doesn't work  because it is looking for the older version of the MSI which in not in the app data roaming cache. 

305William
Listener

Hi, answering this because "I know how" and "these work for me"  YMMV. 
tl;dr
The Zoom uninstaller has very limited usefulness if the original source files are missing.  You will need to Brute Force it via one of these three methods in order of preference for risk tolerance.
1.  Microsoft Program installer /uninstaller Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed (microsoft.com)
Official MS app/link that fixes the problem 9/10 times.  Run it, wait.......pick Zoom Wait..................Click next a few times, Done.
You can reboot if you like but it generally works as long as Zoom isn't actually running (or anything that uses the Zoom Plugin like Outlook) before you run it. 

2. Windows Profile deletion "Tactical Nuclear Option
Yeah nobody really wants to do this unless you hate your users, and yourself. 

3.  Regedit GUID "Search and Destroy!
Find the GUID of the offending app (however you fancy)  in regedit and kill it, with fire.   If the first two option were the Army and the Air Force-- This option is Special Forces. Go in and surgically remove the thing you don't like without mucking up the works. - Really only done if Option 2 has been done or you can't do option 2.  sometimes there's more than one.

Why does this happen?
Well I don't really know the why OK? 'cause I'm busy trying to fix other stuff, important stuff  like the internet powered, espresso machine.
But I do know that it happens on managed systems (SCCM, N-ABLE) where third parties patch the app from a temp repository.  When Zoom pushes an update (and you don't have it turned off in Group policy for example) it doesn't play well with your "managed" version  and Boom you are in Dante's Hell of installation loops.    

Good Luck and God Speed 😉

Side note If you actually keep a repository of all the old MSIs  you have delivered, you might be able to copy the to the local machine and see if that works as a source. 

Thank you so much - #1 option worked for me 🙂  Appreciate the assistance!

Stephen_IT
Listener

This worked for me.

Microsoft has a fix for the unistaller: 

Run this fix from Microsoft.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-r...

An update (either Windows or Zoom; take your pick) broke this plugin in Outlook for a user of mine. I tried to uninstall it and the popup said it was on a Network resource that it couldn't find... Its missing the ZoomOutlookPlugin64.dll. I did a "dirty" install and that Zoom Plugin directory never gets created. I did a search on another computer and found the directory. 

Anyone know if I can copy the directory with all the .dlls to get it to recognize it and maybe allow uninstall?  I need a ZoomPluginRemovalTool for x86 and x64 bit please. Also, is there some registry entries I could delete that would facilitate my uninstall/reinstall? btw... I uninstalled Outlook 365 x64 COMPLETELY and still got same problem within Outlook. Plugin won't install or uninstall after being broke. Any info would be appreciated.

willjoe2442
Participant

File > Options > Add-Ins > Manage COM Add-ins > Go... > Select the add-in you want to remove > Remove button.

Regards,

Will

Stephen_IT
Listener

Search Microsoft for this cab file: MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta.diagcab it will fix the uninstall problem.

REF: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-r...