cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ONLY audio recording - no video needed

abdur
Listener

Is there a way to turn off video recording and only record audio for a meeting? I know I could do both and just delete the video recording, but I don't want the meeting to record video in the first place. Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

That is only possible with cloud recordings. Just disable all the video layout options, while keeping Record an audio only file enabled. 

Local recordings will always create a video and audio file. There is currently no way to disable one or the other for local recordings. 

Hope that helps and please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

Thanks! Where can I find the video layout options settings?

Bort

Those settings are available in the web portal. 

1. Log in to your account at Zoom.us
  2. Click the Settings option on the left side. 
  3. Select the Recording tab. 
  4. The first 3 options under Cloud recording are about the possible video layouts you can record. 

More info about cloud recording settings can be found here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360060316092-Cloud-recording-settings

I just tested this out and the "record an audio only file" option does not turn off video recording. It creates another file that is audio-only, in ADDITION to the video file. 

I wish there were a way to tell it not to save video files. That would save a ton of space and we only need to keep the audio. 

How does one suggest that feature to zoom?  It shouldn't be too hard...  It is annoying to wait for a 2 -2.5 hr class to convert the recording only to have to delete it as it takes up so much storage after you get 40-50 classes. 

Is this a feature that can be added eventually in audio settings? We are only required to save audio, not video. But if we save it, then it becomes a public record and now falls under retention schedules.

This is a big problem for some courts.

Mike

quahogshell
Listener

This feature is very important to have. In many US states, it is illegal to video record without express written permission from every participant, and the audio recording is only needed. Zoom needs to catch up with Privacy laws and rights and allow users more control over the types of recordings.

opst
Listener

it's embarassing that Zoom doesn't have a Clear, Informed option to "Record Audio only". it would make the experience MUCH MORE privacy friendly and reasonnable. Often there is no need to record the videos! We just need the audio for transcription and AI assistance, but AI doesn't need to also see all the video & faces! Not good!

ZoomTechStaff1
Listener

Actually, IT IS possible to turn off video recording and only record audio only.  This applies for a cloud recorded meeting (not local recording).   This is very good for some confidentiality use-cases.  To achieve this you must configure the user, or account settings as follows:

• In settings --> Recording --> Cloud recording
  • DISABLE the following
    • "Record active speaker with shared screen"
    • "Record gallery view with shared screen"
    • Record active speaker, gallery view and shared screen separately

• Then ENABLE:
    • "Record audio-only files"
    • "Record one audio file for all participants"
  • Then schedule your meeting, and in the Options--> Automatically record meeting --> In the cloud
  • After the meeting ends, you will find only ONE AUDIO recording file.  NO VIDEO file

Hope this helps

Thanks for answering this ZoomTechStaff1! Can I record to any cloud? Like a Google Drive cloud? My question is can I record audio only using my free Zoom account without having to upgrade. I see the basic free service doesn't include cloud storage so I was hoping I could use a cloud I already have. Thanks for your time. -Jaime

Thank you for letting us know how to change the settings.

Can I watch a video without saving it but still capture the audio?

Frank_TB
Community Champion | Customer

Hello,

Free accounts cannot record to the cloud. Free accounts can only record locally.

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!

Thanks Frank, while I don't like the answer I do appreciate you taking to time to let me know. 🙂

Frank_TB

Happy to help Jaime.

Regards,