cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No sound despite test "working"

timkicka
Listener
Zoom is not playing sound on my brand new laptop running windows 10. Zoom can see the speakers (onboard or bluetooth) and appears to be playing a test sound - bar showing signal but nothing is coming through. Mic is working fine.

Occasionally there will be a split-second of sound and then dead. Speakers work with everything else except facebook messenger

Here's what I've tried:
- off and on again (zoom, soundcard and laptop)
- updated windows
- updated soundcard driver
- updated zoom and rolled back to a previous version
- adjusted control panel settings (allowed applications to take exclusive control, disabled audio enhancements)
28 REPLIES 28

Rupert
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @timkicka 

Does it make any difference if you Mute your mic in Zoom?

Do you have external headphones you can try?

During a Meeting can you open your Zoom audio settings and see if the volume slider has defaulted to low (off).

In a meeting, can you right-click your Windows volume icon (system tray, by clock) and open Windows Volume Mixer and ensure the Zoom sliders/faders are pulled up?

When you select your audio/speaker device in Zoom, how many options do you have in the list?

Hi! Still have this problem.

My speakers and mic are working in Meets and Google calls, skype. 

In Zoom when I press test speakers I can hear the testing music and the testing bar below it jumping.

The mic is also working. 

BUT i can't hear others is meeting room. and they can't hear me.

Please help me and others to solve this issue. Because as i can see below this issue is reproducable not only for my and linked with zoom new versions. 

windows 10 btw

po2
Listener

I'm having a similar problem. Just breaking in a new computer. Mike works per test, speakers work, fader is fine, device drivers are up to date. Anything else?

Silke
Listener

Hi timkicka,

did you solve your problem? I have the same problem with a Acer-Laptop. Speakers work with everything. When I play  zoom test sound there is a split second of sound and then I hear nothing. Even a factory reset of the laptop didn't solve the problem.

Same problem with my Acer Aspire 7- New Laptop. While working fine on HP 7 years old laptop.

Same exact issue on my acer laptop. If you have an app called "Acer Purified Voice Console", open it and scroll to the Speaker section where there is an "AI noise reduction" feature that seemed to have enabled itself for me. After disabling that it worked fine.

This worked for me. Turning off the AI noise reduction in the speaker section of the  "Acer Purified Voice Console"... I also turned off the AI noise reduction in the Microphone section "just in case"...

Thank you

Thank you. That worked for me after a very frustrating two hours! Acer laptop, Windows 11

I had the same exact issue on my acer laptop. If you have an app called "Acer Purified Voice Console", open it and scroll to the Speaker section where there is an "AI noise reduction" feature that seemed to have enabled itself for me. After disabling that it worked fine.

larus
Listener

Hi.

Same problem (zoom test sound) on the new Asus Zenbook (Windows 10, version 21H2).

Any solution???

Hi I have a relatively new Asus Vivobook 15 and had awful sound problems on Zoom. I did as someone else suggested here I searched for «My Asus» under settings. Find the AI sound enhancer for speakers and microphone and make sure they are both off. It was an instant fix for me. 

this worked for me thank you sooo much! not even tech support for Asus could help me!

pepo
Listener

Hey, everyone.

I have the same problem. Last month I got a new ASUS Vivobook 15 (Windows 11 Pro) laptop and everything was working great, but since two days ago I've had this issue with the zoom speakers. I don't know what  to do 'cause any other apps such as youtube, google meet or spotify are playing well. Hope you can answer if you find any solution.

I have this exact same computer. When I join without computer audio the test speaker works!!! As soon as I join with it the test speaker just clicks then nothing. With computer audio on everyone can hear me and I them but the quality is terrible and if I record the meeting the sound is so garble you can’t hear what I am saying. Did you find a fix?

@DebbieraaencztI haven't found a fix, but I also haven't had much trouble recently.  I still get the problem where the person on the other end can hear an echo of themselves, but usually I just change the microphone and that works.  Or I use push to talk.  I really think it has something to do with NVIDIA broadcast. Do you use NVIDIA broadcast?

No I don’t use NVIDIA broadcast. I’m really frustrated about this issue and can’t seem to find an answer anywhere. Back to the dealer I guess!!!

Thanks so much for answering. 👍

I found a fix. Went into My Asus under settings and turned off the AI sound enhancer for both speaker and mic. Instant fix. Thanks for answering anyway. 

See my answer above. 

Greg_Bln
Listener

Same here, test is fine, but no sound during the calls. All other apps/services work fine. The stock price stands for itself...

Try turning off the AI sound enhancer. It worked for me. 

aleexus
Listener

I have the same problem. I've been using zoom for years now and have pretty good understanding of the audio settings. Test sound works for 1 second then it stops. mic is working. mic and audio works on all other video call services.

Same here. Even though the test doesn’t work people can still here me but the quality is attrocious. What is weird is that if I turn off computer audio, the test then works loud and clear but nobody can here me. Totally back to front. I’d lve to know if you have found an answer to this issue. I’m on an Asus Vivobook 15 by the way. Brand new pc!!! The same settings on my old pc (an HP) work well for audio, but it’s soooo slow. 

CA_Stern
Listener

I am having the same issue.  Before a meeting starts, I select "Test Computer Audio".  Then, when I select "Test Speaker" I hear a split second of sound, then it stops.  I can change to other output devices and I only hear the audio without fail when I select the audio on my HDMI monitor.  Otherwise, my laptop's onboard speakers, my 3.5mm plug speakers, and my NVIDIA Broadcast speakers all do the same thing.  I have a sneaky suspicion that it has to do with the NVIDIA Broadcast.  Whenever I plug in my USB headset, I can get that to work fine but I don't want to wear that when I am on a business meeting call.  I have checked the Windows Volume Mixer.  I have also tried adjusting and resetting other settings with no success.  Has anyone found a fix???

zoom_Echo
Listener

I am having the same issue and even though I am able to get into meetings, I have to mute my self everytime I done speaking because everyone can hear an echo from my side.

I'm glad you mentioned this... I forgot to mention that I had this same issue on a recent Zoom call where the person on the other side asked me to change my audio settings because he could hear himself as an echo and it was super distracting to him.

Zommie
Listener

I have a brand new Acer laptop and the audio of my video is terrible when i use zoom. It is ok with MS Teams. Does anyone know a solution to this?