cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Names of participants are burned into local recordings

TS84
Listener

After about two years and countless meetings and recordings, suddenly in our local recordings the names of participants appear in the video. That was never the case so far and we don't see the option where we can change that. What to do? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DeniseLahat
Community Champion | Customer

You can change this in your setting under recording.  see attached

If this was helful pls mark Accepted as solution.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

DeniseLahat

You can change this in your setting under recording.  see attached

If this was helful pls mark Accepted as solution.

Those are the cloud recording settings. There's no similar setting for local recordings which now burn the names into the file.

This does not work. I've been using Zoom for a couple years and never encountered this issue til now. I can't have these people's names in the videos. It's a privacy issue. PLEASE SOMEONE ADVISE AND OR FIX. 

The problem was local recording not cloud recording.  I have the same problem and I have made sure my boxes are unchecked in cloud recording.  It does not fix local recording

TS84
Listener

Now it seems to work even though cloud recordings should not have an effect on local recordings?

kcreamer
Listener

I'm having the same issue, however, disabling the show participant name option on the cloud recordings had no impact for me. The names are still appearing on the locally recorded files. I have always had the display participant name option disabled in my local Zoom settings. I don't record to the cloud and, like TS84, I have been recording on Zoom for a couple of years now without names recording to the video until I recently updated to 5.9.3. I've tried quitting and relaunching Zoom a couple of times just in case it needs to be restarted for the change to take effect. I'm recording these meetings for editing in Premiere and having to create multiple video tracks to crop off the names is a frustrating and unnecessary step in what was an otherwise simple workflow.

I am having the same problem.  I don't understand why they have added the names in the local recording without adding the option to configure that, as in cloud recordings.  In addition, the cloud recording continues to be useless, as it does not respect the Speaker View spotlighting.

SAME ISSUE AND STILL NOT FIXED. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

Corbin1
Listener

I'm having this issue as well. Has anyone found a resolution? I can't have these names on the screen.

I have finally found that the only way to resolve this was to uninstall zoom vs 5.9.3 and reinstall 5.9.1  THAT WORKED! It is an issue in the latest update… hope they fix this soon otherwise I won’t be updating my zoom any time soon.

Thank you for the response. I will try in next few days to see if this works for me.  Also, I use Zoom on my laptop. Did it automatically upgrade to the newer version or would I have installed it? 

I downgraded to version 5.9.1 and I'll stay there until they fix it.  The installer for the Windows version is at 

https://zoom-us-zoom.en.uptodown.com/windows/download/4213968

and for Mac, at

https://zoom.en.uptodown.com/mac/download/4213974

Thank you for the response. I will try in next few days to see if this works for me.  Also, I use Zoom on my laptop. Did it automatically upgrade to the newer version or would I have installed it? 

Thanks, GAR. I downgraded to version 5.9.1 and it worked for me. Hopefully they fix this soon! I want to mark your response as a solution, but I'm not sure how.

Are there any disadvantages to downgrading? I like keeping on the current version, but need to record local without names!!

gigi424
Listener

This just started happening to me on May 7, 2022. As of my recordings from April 23, 2020, the names were not there in the local recordings. What changed? I also need the solution for LOCAL, not cloud, as the screenshot under the "solution" is for CLOUD.

alexismac47
Listener

Here is what I just received from Zoom Support. Can't hurt to have more people requesting the feature to be added back...

Hi Alexis,

Thank you for contacting Zoom Support!

I had this checked and found out that from 5.9.3 onwards, they have made it so that the names will show up on the Local recording. As of the moment, we do not have a way to have it removed but a request has been submitted so that users can still have the option to hide the names for local recordings. The request has been submitted already and it seems like the feature will be implemented in the upcoming version of the application.

In order to submit a Feature Request to our Product Team, please fill out a feedback form located at https://www.zoom.us/feed

Please follow us at http://blog.zoom.us and our release notes https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/sections/201214205-Release-Notes for new product and feature announcements.

If there is anything technical our team can assist with further please let me know.

Thank you for choosing Zoom!

I can't believe they consider this a "feature request."  They introduce a bug that disables an existing feature and in order to have them correct the problem we need to request the feature to be introduced again?  This is not a feature request, it is a bug report!

Completely agree! Lost Whiteboards I think in the rollback. The good news is (hopefully) that it will be fixed in the next update.

Good point, I just sent a high priority request. Thanks for suggesting 'cause this is a mess.

GAR
Attendee

I just received the following message in response to my report about this problem:

"Our engineering team is already working on a feature request that will have the option to hide the participant's name in the local recording, ETA release date is May 22. Since you cannot see the option to disable automatic updates, I recommend upgrading to the latest version when it gets available."

The reference to the option to disable automatic updates is not relevant.  Let's hope it will actually happen...

Biscut
Listener

I just realized this problem today, and I've got tons of recordings with names on them—Noooooooooo!

I'm on 5.10.4 (6592) and this is not yet fixed.

It is fixed in 5.10.6 but you need to download that version, you may or may not get it in a regular update.

You can find it in https://zoom.us/download

GAR
Attendee

To debraALV

It is fixed in 5.10.6 for local recordings too.  I've been using it without any problems. 

Make sure you go to Settings -> Recording and uncheck the box labeled "Display participants' names in the recording"