cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO CHAT NAME

DFS
Listener

When I attempt to chat during a zoom event, my name does not appear, but instead it says "Me to everyone." Also, I noticed only the first initial of my name appears, while everyone else who comments shows both initials in addition to their full name. Any thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Hi, @DFS.  Sorry for the late reply!

It’s normal for Zoom to shorten the description of a chat you send to read “Me” instead of your actual display name. Everyone else sees your actual Display Name. 

When you log in to your Zoom account on the web, you’ll see two places for your name. The green highlighted area forms the basis for your displayed initials in lieu of a profile picture; the blue highlighted area is your Display Name as a participant. 

Ray_Harwood_2-1669588020187.jpeg

After clicking the Edit button, you’ll see that the main user name is split into two fields. The first letter of each field forms the basis for the initials you mentioned:

Ray_Harwood_3-1669588800153.jpeg

Change the contents of these two name fields and click Save, and next time you’re in a meeting you should see two initials, If you have entered text in both fields. 

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

Ray:

Appreciate the response. I already edited my info. as you outlined. When I participated in a Zoom chat a few days ago, I still got just a "D" for the initial, and "Me to everyone". No one else showed up that way. It's frustrating.

Ray_Harwood

Hmm. Well, the “Me to Everyone” is what everyone else sees where they send a chat to everyone. That’s the expected behavior in Zoom Meeting chat.

For the single letter initials – would you mind providing a screen shot of the top portion of your Profile information after clicking Edit?

DFS_0-1669680886794.png

Ray_Harwood

Well, that's interesting!  I've done some tests, and it's a different behavior than I thought would happen.  I changed my Last Name field to Marwood, and my Display Name to Ray The Man Harwood | GoodClix as shown in this screen shot of my Profile page:

Ray_Harwood_1-1669687795036.png

I expected the 2-letter abbreviation to be RM, based on the First and Last names.  Instead I got this:

Ray_Harwood_0-1669687775883.png

Based on that, I think Zoom tries to base the 2-letter abbreviation to the first two words in the Display Name field.  Why you're only seeing one letter -- I have no idea!  But try removing the F. from the Display Name and see if it makes a difference.  I tried setting the second part of the Display Name to an initial and a period, and it displayed that letter for me... so at the very least, I would expect yours to display as DF, not just D.

If you still want technical help on this, you'd better reach out to Zoom Support by entering a Support Ticket here:

Support Ticket entry: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/requests/new 

I'm stuck!  Thanks for your patience, though.