cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My profile picture stopped showing when I turn off video during a meeting

mirseidel
Listener

It worked fine for months. Then it stopped - even though the picture still shows as my profile picture, when I turn off video only my name on the black background shows. I tried deleting the profile pic and putting it back in, but that made no difference. Any ideas appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pieterbotes
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

@mirseidelLet's go through a couple of steps to see if we can resolve this. 

Thanks.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

pieterbotes

Hi @mirseidel 

This is controlled in your settings on the Zoom web portal under Settings --> Meetings.

Hide participant profile pictures in a meeting

This article explains how to do this.  The last paragraph will explain how to do this on a per user basis.

Hiding participant profile pictures in a meeting – Zoom Help Center

If this has answered your question, don’t forget to mark the reply as an accepted solution! 

Thanks!

Your solution is related to meetings that you set up and are controlling other participants, not related to showing your picture when you are in other meetings.

mirseidel
Listener

Thank you for the reply, but it didn't fix my problem. When I checked, the "hide participant profile pictures" feature was off. I tried turning it on and then off again, but that didn't help. I then tried turning it on. But when I signed in to another Zoom meeting, my profile image still didn't show.  Any more help you could give would be much appreciated. 

pieterbotes

@mirseidelLet's go through a couple of steps to see if we can resolve this. 

Thanks.

Thanks!

I have the same problem. Zoom is updated. Using an Imac. Other participants  have profile pic. Cant find a settings tab that allows profile pic. TIA

I finally upgraded to High Sierra—my MacBook Pro is early 2015 vintage and I was afraid to go higher from things I've heard. That did the trick. It seems it was just falling too far behind to keep with updates. 

What I found was that I was logged out of Zoom.  I don't know where and why Zoom signs me out, but when this happens, I exit out of the meeting, log into Zoom then get back into the meeting and the picture shows up.

I am using Windows.

Only my picture is not showing.

mirseidel
Listener

Hi and thank you! I updated my account and now my profile picture is showing again. I appreciate your help!

pieterbotes

Great!  Please remember to mark that as the solution so that other members searching for the same answer can see what worked for you!

Thanks!

lgaillard
Listener

I have this same issue, but my picture has never been displayed. I've gone through all of the steps and my picture still does not show. Is it because I have the free version?

I have the free version also. My profile image shows in the account connected to Google login but not in the free account using just my email account. Like you, it never has but it always works in the other one.

JeffZ
Listener

I am having the same issue.  My profile picture shows for some meetings but not others (when I can see others' profile pictures). I'm on a Dell with Windows and on the latest version of Zoom, so it's not the Mac version mentioned above.  And I'm on a company paid program, so it's not the "free version" issue noted above.  Any other thoughts?

pieterbotes

Does it show up when you host the meeting consistently?  Maybe only happens is specific meetings that you join?  Need to get some idea of when this is happening to determine how to fix it.

Thanks!

Mine has never worked.  Im on an iMac, my Mac is up to date, Zoom is up to date, yet my picture never shows.  Only my name

Bolade2010
Listener

I want my profile picture to be showing during meeting

Helenium
Listener

Just to expand a little on what @JeffZ said, I just fixed it for myself.  In the Zoom menu bar at the top under the zoom.us tab, click "Sign In." That prompts you to install updates (if there are any) and once that's done, instead of using the web link to join the meeting, go to Join Meeting (Command-J) in the same zoom.us tab, and enter the Meeting ID, your name, and the password where prompted. My profile photo — which had been gone for the last two months — has reappeared when I have video turned off. Thanks, Jeff!

cgr619
Listener

Hey all!

I'm currently having this issue as well! It used to work fine for my last company. And to verify with anyone from zoom who might be reading this,

* everyone else in my meetings has their profile picture calibrated,

* I checked the "hide participants pictures" setting, it's off

* my zoom is up to date

* I have a picture uploaded

I don't know what the problem is and I would LOVE for someone to help fix this for me!

Someone mentioned the answer before. You are logged out. If you open the Zoom desktop app during your meeting, you can see if you are logged in or not.  If you aren't logged in, do so and when you return to the meeting, your picture should be there.  You may have to leave and reenter the meeting for it to show up. 

Scroll up to my response on May 24, 2022. But to break it down: With Zoom App open, from the menu, choose Sign In. Then join the meeting using the Meeting ID and password that you have been sent by the meeting organizer instead of using the web link. I only had to do that for one meeting. After that, the photo has always appeared when I turn off the video.

This is the solution! It seems like a pretty easy thing for Zoom to fix though. And why wouldn't your profile picture show when you click on a link to join a meeting? Stupid.

I think it's because you don't need a Zoom  account to attend a meeting so if you aren't logged in, it just shows your name and assumes that you don't have an account. It would be nice if after you clicked the link and the desktop app opened but before it connected you it asked if you want to sign in, stay signed in as (name) or continue as a guest user. Half the time when I am logged in, it's my non profit's account, not my personal one so I'd like to know that before continuing. 

These same steps work from the Desktop App. You just have to make sure you are signed in. 

CharlotteBob
Listener

We are seeing this issue across many systems, Mac and Windows. Yes, logged in. Yes, the setting to hide profile is off. Reinstalled. Used the CleanZoom.exe.  It is always the same. If you launch a meeting from a browser, it does not show the profile picture. If you launch it from the Zoom app, it shows it. All the above fixes were tried on multiple systems. This started with the latest version 5.12.2 (9281). 
I repeat, none of the above fixes worked. 

Bob

My issue today is completely opposite... my profile pic shows in the browser meeting, but it does not show when I'm in the desktop app.  VERY frustrating! It has worked fine for months and is not working now.

Make sure you are signed in to Zoom on the desktop app

MrsYee - Have you verified that you are signed into the desktop app? 

In the past, I've been able to click "Join Zoom Meeting" from the invitation email.  When doing this, the web interface would open, allowing me the option to open the desktop app.  When opening the desktop app, my profile picture would display properly.  In trying to solve my issue, I went directly to the desktop app and signed in, not using any emails sent to me.  When I entered the Meeting ID and code, my profile picture showed up fine.  I then started over, using the invitation email and clicking "Join Zoom Meeting".  It continued the process as it always has and my profile picture now shows as it always has. I don't know why it got disconnected, but it's all working as it should now.

Thanks!!

It might disconnect when it does updates or occasionally for security but the solution always seems to be making sure you are logged into the desktop or mobile app. I even figured out how to sign in to the mobile app during a meeting but didn't write down the steps. Not being logged in seems to always be the issue. Glad it is working for you again.