cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Zoom does not connect when I use wi-fi at home.

evakovacs
Listener

I have this weird problem, that I can not start zoom, when I am connected to WI-FI at home. The internet connection is good, as everything else works but Zoom. The browser can not open any file or page that is about Zoom. It would work with mobile net if it was stable enough. Can somebody have an idea what the problem is, and how can it be solved? By the way the firewall is not a problem. with  or without firewall, Zoom does not come through. Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3

zac2021
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

@evakovacs Is this issue the same for all machines (laptop, smartphone, tablet) connected to your home wifi when you try to access Zoom services? Is there any active VPN connection running on your machine or home wifi/router? If there is, can you please try to disconnect from VPN session and try to connect to Zoom or access Zoom web pages. Do you have security endpoint protection on your laptop/machine (like Symantec, TrendMicro, ESET, etc) ? Try to temporarily disable it too and see if you are able to connect to Zoom.

When you use the same machine/laptop to an internet connection other than your home wifi, are you able to connect or use Zoom services?

Having answers to those questions will help us narrow down the issue.

@zac2021  Thank you for answering me so quickly. As I still can't open any Zoom related file or page, I had to wait for an opportunity to connect an other wifi than my own at home. As you see, the problem still stays and yes, it is the same on each and every device we have at home, and it is not because of my Zoom account as my husband can not use his own account either.

I do not know what happened on 10.03, Thursday evening. I have used Zoom from the same wi-fi and location for 2,5 years, but never had any problem.

I have disconnected, restarted everything I could, even reinstalled the app, updated both my phone and my macBook. Nothing works. I do not know of any VPN sessions, even disabled firewall. Nothing!

I am able to connect and use Zoom services on all my devices being connected to an internet connection other than my own wifi. This led me to the conclusion that it is not my phone/laptop or my account, but my wifi connection.

I need to mention here, that I received an email from the Zoom Team, in which I was told, that an unusual sign-isn was detected from a device or location I usually don’t use. I had to enter a code to sign in.
This happened on the day when the problem started.

I contacted the Zoom support team via an email address I have found here in one of the answers sent to someone else is a related problem. 

zac2021

@evakovacs Thanks much for sharing more details. It seems that issue is isolated to your wifi connection/home connection. I would assume also that the same issue is experienced when you tried to connect one of your laptops directly to your home router (hard-wired, LAN connection). Since you mentioned that you can connect to Zoom services when connected to other connection except for your home wifi, I would also suggest contacting your home Internet Service Provider (ISP) and check with them if they see any Zoom traffic originating from your home network that are getting blocked by the ISP network. This is rare but it is worth checking with your ISP.

Would you mind also sharing the Zoom support ticket number, if you have one. If you haven't logged any Zoom support ticket yet, you can do so here.