cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microphone works unless the call is initiated by me

zelrar
Listener

I am able to participate in zoom calls initiated by someone else and for which a link is sent to me; everything works fine in that situation.  But if I try to initate a meeting myself, my microphone can't be found.  The video works fine, the audio is fine, but I get a message that my mike isn't working and that I need to use a different one. 

I've checked my (PC windows 10) permissions, and the zoom desktop app is approved to access the microphone. I've looked at the zoom app itself, but I don't see any settings that would disable the microphone.  I can mute it, of course, but this isn't muting: it's completely disabling.

The webcam/mike I'm using is an old one, but it can't just be that because, again, it works just fine if I'm not the one starting the meeting. For what it's worth, I using the most updated drivers and the mike works fine in other applications.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

zelrar
Listener

OK, I deleted the zoom installation and reinstalled it.  Now it's working.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

IP-Man
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Within your Zoom Desktop Client Audio settings, try setting both your speaker and microphone to 'same as system' and try to initiate a meeting again. 

Let me know if this helps!

IPMan_4-1648227001583.jpeg

If this has answered or help find a solution to your question , please click the Accept as Solution button below so that others in the Community may benefit as well.

Cheers!

zelrar
Listener

When I go through this process and check the mike, it's fine, whether I have the microphone identified by name or "same as system." But as soon as I open the app and click on the "new meeting" button, I get the message that "Your microphone is not working."  So it works when I join someone else's meeting and it works in all testing scenarios, but it does not work when I try to start my own meeting.

zelrar
Listener

OK, I deleted the zoom installation and reinstalled it.  Now it's working.