cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meeting duration time

User1100
Listener

Hi,

I have a meeting in a few days. I have to enter it via zoom. Right now I have a basic zoom plan. I read that you can only talk for 40 minutes through the basic plan. I want to ask you, can I only talk for 40 minutes if I create the meeting myself? What if I join a meeting that someone else has created, do I have a 40 minute limit or can I talk as much as I want?

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Welcome to Zoom and the Zoom Community, @User1100.

If you are scheduling the meeting with a Basic account, your meeting will be limited to 40 minutes.

If you are attending a meeting created by someone else, you can stay as long as their meeting is open.  if they have a Basic account, it will also be limited to 40 minutes.  Licensed (paid) accounts also have a limit... but it's 30 hours.  You can attend such a meeting for the duration, if you wish!

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

Thank you,

I think I'm joining a zoom meeting whose host isn't using a basic plan. So, in order to connect to a zoom that another person created and talk for more than 40 minutes, I do not need to upgrade the plan above the basic? Can I use the basic plan in this situation to talk for more than 40 minutes?

Ray_Harwood

Yes, you should be just fine. I have many Zoom events where I encourage attendees to get a Basic account and install the Zoom desktop app to get the best performance from Zoom. They all stay in the meetings and webinars just fine – sometimes all day!

Good luck with your meeting!!

Hey do you know why it is telling me that I have to wait 9 minutes to start a new meeting?

I have a free account and I understand why its limited to 40 minutes but I cant find any info about why its forcing me to wait.

Thanks,

Mory

Ray_Harwood

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @mr_mory.

This is a recent change by Zoom. Since I'm not an employee, I can't say definitively why this was implemented, but I'm sure the number of Basic users who start a new meeting immediately after their 40 minutes is over creates a resource drain on the Zoom infrastructure, and this "wait time" helps to alleviate that.

sandriadt
Listener

As of my last update in September 2021, Zoom's free basic plan had a 40-minute time limit on group meetings with three or more participants. This limitation applied to both meetings you host (i.e., meetings you create yourself) and meetings that others host (i.e., meetings you join as a participant).

So, if you join a meeting that someone else has created using a free basic plan, the 40-minute time limit will still apply, and the meeting will automatically end after 40 minutes.

To have longer meetings without time restrictions, you would need to upgrade to a paid plan, such as Zoom's Pro, Business, or Enterprise plans. These paid plans offer more extended meeting durations, additional features, and greater flexibility.

Please note that since my information is not current, it's a good idea to check Zoom's official website or contact their support team to get the most up-to-date information about their plans and features.