cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing both personal and work zom accounts

defaria
Listener

A while back I signed up for a personal Zoom account. I used it mainly for online open mics where musicians perform for other musicians in an open mic fashion. Then I got a job and, of course, they had a work Zoom account for me to use. I'm on Ubuntu 21.10 so I downloaded and installed the zoom client. I get scheduled for Zoom meetings and I click on the link and a browser tab opens and starts the Zoom client. Sometimes I seem to be using my personal account and sometimes I am using my work account. And sometimes I have two zoom icons in my notification area and I am apparently running two different copies of Zoom. It's very confusing.

If I log out and stop all zooms and start one up again and click Sign In there's an SSO button there. Assuming that's single sign-on so I click that.  The Zoom window changes to say "Sign in with SSO" and then there is a domain <company name>.zoom.us. At the same time, there's another Zoom window that shows me logged in already with my work account.  Also, a browser tab opens also saying "Sign in with SSO" and has a Launch Zoom button. Finally, there are not one but two icons in my notification area for two different zoom apps running!

Clicking on the Zoom icons in my notification area yields two different menus. One Zoom icon lists:

Join Meeting...

Share Screen...

Switch Languages >

About

Exit

While the other one shows:

Join Meeting...

Share Screen...

Open Zoom

Settings

Switch Languages >

About

Log out

Exit

Looking at the process table I see not 1, not 2 but 4 zoom processes. Two of them are /usr/bin/zoom and two are /opt/zoom/zoom. /usr/bin/zoom is a symlink to /opt/zoom/ZoomLauncher. Seem that running /usr/bin/zoom (really ZoomLauncher) simply turns around and starts /opt/zoom/zoom, but then it just hangs around...

Considering I already have 4 zoom processes running with two windows and two icons in the notification area pressing "Launch Zoom"  in the browser tab seems pointless and indeed is pointless because clicking it does nothing.

Clicking on the short menu Zoom icon and selecting quit kills the Zoom window that had the "Sign in with SSO" leaving only two zoom processes. Closing the Launch Zoom tab does nothing but close that tab.

Is this really how Zoom is supposed to operate when you have personal and work Zoom accounts?

3 REPLIES 3

defaria
Listener

Amazingly silent...

tioyu77
Listener

Same trouble - easy FIX is that. Don't "Automatically" login on any device without confirmation. Once showed , preserve the person logged in on device in which he/she logs in final to get gold. Prompt to confirm once more whilst tool switches.

Andy5
Listener

I was having Google Calendar schedule meetings with my personal zoom account but needed it to be through my work account. The solution was searchable and was clicking on the Zoom Scheduler from Google Calender, top right, resigning into the work account.   Don't know if that helps your instances or co-mingling of accounts.