cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macbook Air setup

tamrasawyer
Listener

Hello to all.  I'm new to zoom and am in need of assistance.  I'm a mac user and I'm  having difficult with basic function operating with the mac.  For example, while working with someone to become familiar with zoom, using the share screen function, attempting to pull up the white board, it goes directly to the privacy setting on the mac.  I am at a total loss as to what to do to enable all functions of zoom using the mac.  I hope this makes sense as I am unable to talk directly with zoom tech support.  Is there some extension that needs to be enable to be able to use zoom fully?  Thanks so much.

4 REPLIES 4

jaredallen
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @tamrasawyer, welcome to the Zoom Community.

You don't need to install any extensions. However, you will need to give Zoom certain permissions in the Privacy and Security preferences of your Mac.

To access these settings

• Left-click the Apple logo in the top-left corner of your screen.
  • Select "System Preferences" from the drop-down menu.
  • Click on the "Security & Privacy" icon (looks like a house).
  • Select the "Privacy" tab.
  • Left-click the small Padlock in the bottom left-hand corner of the settings page.

The following privileges are required for Zoom to work correctly. 

• Camera - For sharing your video in a meeting or webinar
  • Microphone - For joining computer audio in a meeting or webinar
  • Screen Recording - For sharing your screen in a meeting or webinar
  • Files and Folders - For sharing and saving files from chat in a meeting or webinar, as well as recording locally to your computer
  • Accessibility - For allowing remote control in a meeting

For each of the above privileges, you will need to tick the box next to the Zoom icon. For example:

mac-permissions-camera-dc.png

For more information on giving Zoom access please see this support article: 

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360016688031

Let me know if this resolves your issue? If so, don’t forget to mark the reply as an accepted solution! 

Also, the Zoom Learning Center is a great resource that contains live and pre-recorded training for new Zoom users.

https://learning.zoom.us/pages/27/home

jaredallen

Hi @tamrasawyer,

Did the above reply help to resolve your issue? Let me know if I can be of any further assistance?

Kkb121976
Listener

Hi @jaredallen

I did this today. Thanks. When I follow steps as you note above, I see it says: “allow the apps below to record the contents of your screen, even while using other apps”. 

does this mean that zoom is recording what we are sharing via screen share?

thank you. 

jaredallen

Hi @Kkb121976,

Zoom will not record your screen unless you specifically turn on Cloud Recording during the meeting.

Let me know if this answers your question? If so, don’t forget to mark the reply as an accepted solution!