cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M2 MacBook cannot open Zoom meeting URLs

BornABruin
Listener

I have a user who just got a new M2 based MacBook Air. When they try to click on a URL for a Zoom meeting sent via Outlook, they see a spinner for about a minute and then the Mac opens an error dialog that says: "Unable to connect. Check to make sure you're connected to a stable network that is not blocked by a firewall or proxy."

The user is on MacOS 10.16, the Zoom client 5.12.9, no firewall or proxy on the Mac. The network connection is working normally as no other apps are impacted and the user's old MacBook (and my ancient MacBook Pro, and all of my 80+ PC clients) can open the same Zoom meetings URL without issue.

Has anyone run into this and know of a fix or workaround?

TIA, Eric

5 REPLIES 5

Jameswalter
Participant

Click the Apple logo from the top left and select System Preferences. Click Security & Privacy. Make sure you are in the Privacy tab. Camera: Click Camera from the left sidebar and make sure zoom.

Regards,
James

GWJShearer
Listener

Eric,

By now you may already have the answer: Zoom doesn't yet have an M2 version.

(M1 Macs came out in Nov 2020, and the M1 version of Zoom came out in Apr 2021, about half a year later).

Use the website version, instead of the app, like: https://zoom.us/meeting#/

To @BornABruin 

George

ddotcom12
Listener

same thing happening to me - except i have an M1 macbook pro -- sometimes zoom works, sometimes it does not. it's very odd. when this happens, i cannot open zoom, i cannot call into meetings, and i cannot visit the zoom website. it is the strangest thing i've ever encountered on a mac in my 30+ years using them. 

ddotcom12:

Well, from a fellow long-time Mac user (I bought my first Mac in 1984), it would be nice if it "just worked" like Mac stuff tends to do.

But, in this case, I'm not sure that Apple is the culprit (they have changed the innards of their computers a few times over the years, and the software makers have to update to keep up). This last time, when Apple switched from the Intel chip to the M1/M2 chips, they warned everyone (including Zoom) in plenty of time.

So, it looks like Zoom was not able to update their program in time for the M1/M2 Macs. I hope they hurry up and catch up before the M3 chip comes out.

allairej
Listener

Just started last week, when I create a meeting and add it to my calendar , when it is time for the meeting I click on my link in my calendar and it starts the zoom meeting but it tells me "waiting for the host to start the meeting" but it is mine so I have to go back and open my zoom site