cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Network Bandwidth

bdan139
Listener

I don't host meetings - I attend them generally via a link I am sent via email.  I constantly receive a prompt 'Your Network Bandwidth is Low'.  I have changed internet provider to try and get to the bottom of this.  No progress.  It would seem no-one wants to take responsibility.  I can find no resolution that I can understand myself to implement.  I have already tried 2 internet providers, I suspect this problem is set to continue.  The local computer shop can find no issue with my laptop and so I remain stuck with this problem which I cannot solve.  Just desperate to get resolution, but no idea who to ask for assistance that I can understand as an attendee.  

7 REPLIES 7

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @bdan139 ! Welcome to the Zoom Community. I just realized you didn't receive a reply to your post. Are you still having this issue? If so, please check out the following knowledge base article and let me know if that helps! https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362463-Wireless-WiFi-Connection-Issues

Please also try Disabling HD video: Simply go to Settings, click on the Video tab, and uncheck the box for HD video. 

Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

I disabled HD video

I have connected my laptop directly to the router

I have closed all other programs

Still consistently getting low bandwidth error

My high speed internet speedtest is well over the range of 350+

What is going on?

I'm also unable to view the zoom meeting in the desktop app and must view thru my browser. 

Please advise asap

Help. None of this helps. I am still getting low bandwidth messages, and my bandwidth is fine, even with zoom running. I have HD turned off. I've read all the support articles and community messages, and nothing helps. How can I get Zoom to help with this? 

Me too me too.  Based on how widespread this issue appears to be, the persistent ineffectiveness of the same old proposed solutions, I don't think Zoom is able to help. Maybe they aren't willing to help, but we can't know that. If a sick mind can't heal a sick mind, why should I expect a non-human "brain" to heal itself (notwithstanding chatbots)?  I think we need outside help.

FDR
Listener

Hello Carla,

Zoom has been a continual headache because of the excessive bandwidth requirements and data use.  On reading your response, I immediately went to Settings, but was unable to find any means to disable HD video.  Please see the attached screenshot.  Do you have better instructions on how to do this.

By the way, I have a limited bandwidth and data plan that is completely adequate for my needs, but obviously not with Zoom.  I live in a rural community.

Thanks.

Screenshot 2022-10-03 172029.png

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @FDR , I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with Zoom at the moment. There are a couple of things you can do when experiencing poor performance caused by bandwidth congestion.  As mentioned above, you can try manually reducing the amount of bandwidth required to run Zoom Meetings by:

● Disabling HD video: Settings > Video > uncheck HD

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 7.57.01 PM.png

● Disabling video feed: Although video is a key feature of Zoom Meetings, you can turn off your video to reduce the amount of bandwidth used for situations where clear audio is a higher priority. Click on the video icon and make sure your ‘Start Video’ button is crossed out to turn off video.

Carla,
Zoom Community Team

Please click Accept as Solution if this answered your question. Thank you!

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

FDR
Listener

Hello Carla,

My video is already disabled, yet a typical Zoom call uses about 1.3 Mbaud of bandwidth.  Full screen is about 1.8 to 2.4 Mbaud.  Minimal sized display is about 300 to 500 kbaud.  This is an obscene use of bandwidth.  I do not need high resolution during Zoom, except for the occasional display of a spreadsheet or a document.  Yet Zoom gives me (as a user) no control over its use of my bandwidth.  Other meeting software does.  I would like to be able to limit Zoom bandwidth to no more than 300 kbaud regardless of window size, with the option of increasing resolution where necessary.

How to I limit Zoom's use of bandwidth to no more than 300 kbaud or less? 

Thank you.

PS - The last Zoom meeting I attended, I used my phone only, but even so there were issues.  My ability to mute and unmute failed 20 minutes into the call.  Very frustrating.