cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of audio when entering/leaving breakout rooms

huntersmith
Listener

When I am in the main meeting, I have audio and video without an issue. However, when assigned to my breakout rooms, I lose the audio stream and cannot hear what is being said. This has happened on a couple of occasions to me. It has also happened where I have audio in the breakout rooms but lose it when re-entering the main meeting. The video stream is intact and clear (i.e. no signs of poor connection). I have tried using my Mac speaker/microphone as well as AirPods Pro, but the issue has not resolved. 

9 REPLIES 9

mhanssens
Listener

I had a client with the same issue. I found that the audio worked again when they muted and unmuted themselves twice every time they changed rooms. Seemed to restart the audio feed. No clue why that was happening and it stopped happening to them now (lasted a week). They were on a Macbook Pro. Hopefully that works for you until a Zoom rep jumps in with a fix. 

Mjalcorn
Listener

I have been having this same issue. Great audio/video on my computer in main room but total loss of audio-failed to detect microphone-is the message I get. Nothing I try while in the breakout room works to restore audio. Have to switch to my I phone to rejoin the meeting and have audio in the breakout room. When leaving the non functioning breakout room on computer and returning to main room audio is restored. What’s the problem?

Same. So frustrating 

sms27yahoo
Listener

I have been having the same issue and I'm teaching a class so I really need for this to work. It has been very frustrating and there is no solution??

laurakjones
Listener

Come on Zoom, where is the fix for this issue?  I am in school and this happens during EVERY class. Please fix the issue ASAP. 

After lots of troubleshooting several things I did stopped the issue. The first is that I swtiched to my personal account as opposed to the university one. Yes, I'm paying $15 a month but it is worth it. The second is that I unchecked the audio input through Windows and let Zoom process raw audio from the computer. The third is the suggestion from IT: go into your Device Manager (you can just type device manager in the search bar), go to your audio input and outputs, right click your microphone device and select uninstall device then do the same for your speaker device, please? Once done, please restart the computer. This will perform a fresh install of the devices."

I hope this helps. 

JohnVDenley
Listener

Yup, I have been having the same problem, but for me this is on my mobile phone. I have found that I have to disconnect my bluetooth and then reconnect it and then cycle through the "sound" options in the top left. it disconnects when I move into a breakout room and then again when I move back to the main room.... super frustrating! I wouldn't mind so much if I could do it faster, but it takes about a minute to do the processes and often I have to send a message to the other person to let them know and that wastes even more time!

marionhorton
Listener

Yes this is getting on my nerves.No help from zoom.Im doing online learning and it's very hard to join conversations with no audio.I have to use chat.Zoom you can do better.

Funny how my message wasn't delivered