cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Login fails with 'Timeout' on linux, works fine when run as root

maxmaxmax
Listener

I'm running Ubuntu 21.04 and recently updated to the latest available version of Zoom for Linux. I was able to connect to meetings fine, but accidentally logged out from my zoom account. Since then I haven't been able to log in. Every attempt gives me a 'Timeout' error with no other message (same is true for sso or google login). I also can't join meetings, after loading for a while it gives me a 5003 error. The weird thing is, login and joining meetings both work when I run zoom as root (using sudo).

Does anyone have any ideas for what could be the issue? I'm assuming it's a problem with permissions, but I uninstalled and deleted every reference to zoom I could find (/opt/zoom, ~/.zoom, and ~/.cache/zoom), then reinstalled and it still doesn't work.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mulgie
Listener

Hi all,

Like @maxmaxmax I tried uninstalling and re-installing without any joy (even deleted all those hidden files and folders) but the timeout issue remained.  Running Zoom as root worked as a workaround but I could also run Zoom without root from a different, dummy user account so I knew it had to be something to do with this specific account.
I eventually discovered the issue by installing the 'mlocate' package and then running a 'locate zoom' which found an offending, lingering file that was causing all of my issues; '~.config/zoomus.conf'! 

So, I uninstalled zoom, deleted all the files @maxmaxmax  lists above and then also deleted the '~.config/zoomus.conf' file too.  Once those files were gone I then re-installed Zoom again and everything now works correctly! 🙂

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @maxmaxmax! Welcome to the Zoom Community 😊

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with Zoom on Linux. I would like to suggest uninstalling the Zoom application and using the 64-bit version installer:

1. Download Zoom uninstaller here:
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/article_attachments/360084068792/CleanZoom.zip
This will remove all traces of Zoom in your computer

2. Download the 64-bit version of the Zoom client:
https://zoom.us/download

Hope this helps!

Zoom Moderator
-CA

Please click Accept as Solution if this answered your question.

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Sorry,  experience the same problem but the solution does not work for me.

I'm on Ubuntu 20.04.

Girl.... thats a zip folder with an .exe file in it...

Mulgie
Listener

Hi all,

Like @maxmaxmax I tried uninstalling and re-installing without any joy (even deleted all those hidden files and folders) but the timeout issue remained.  Running Zoom as root worked as a workaround but I could also run Zoom without root from a different, dummy user account so I knew it had to be something to do with this specific account.
I eventually discovered the issue by installing the 'mlocate' package and then running a 'locate zoom' which found an offending, lingering file that was causing all of my issues; '~.config/zoomus.conf'! 

So, I uninstalled zoom, deleted all the files @maxmaxmax  lists above and then also deleted the '~.config/zoomus.conf' file too.  Once those files were gone I then re-installed Zoom again and everything now works correctly! 🙂

Hi Mulgie,

Thank you!!! I'll try this out later and see if I can get the newest version installed. Can't believe I missed ~.config!

Good luck @maxmaxmax ; if this solves the issue for you too then it should hopefully also fix Zoom for @artilibere and others too.

This worked for me! Thanks Mulgie!

In fact, all I did was quit Zoom, delete that config file, and then relaunch Zoom. I think it just had some goop in there that had to be blasted away, so allowing it to create a fresh config was all it needed.

@Preatomic_Bean, I did the same. You only need to delete the "~/.config/zoomus.conf" file to solve this issue. Nothing else is required.
Thanks.

Hi, that really works.

only delete of the file ~/.config/zoomus.conf and reinstall helps.

btw Version 5.10.7 (3311) solves background blur availability issue.

can you @Mulgie  help me how to remove ~.config/zoomus.conf file after the "locate zoom" command. 

Thank you

thanks it works for me on linux

run below command.

rm ~/.config/zoomus.conf

aszandek
Listener

Poorly the same problem for me, but this is not helped. The client not launch anymore on Debian 11. With Debian 10 was fine. What happend with it? Zoom log file is not readable,  normal sys logs not recorded any about this issues.

aszandek
Listener

What I only find the libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0 dependencies not supported in Debian 11. It has libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0 Ver.: 1.18.4-2 at now. 

aszandek
Listener

Soved!!! Old  v. 390 nvidia driver cause that problems. With the v. 460 works again well.

ArthurTyde
Listener

Had the same issue with Rocky Linux 9.x on my OneXPlayer portable - found that just deleting ~.config/zoomus.conf did the trick.  I was also on the install, clean, re-install bandwagon.  I can report that it's working great, in stunning HD - all features appear solid and it's performing much better with recent versions and kernels.  Basically, I can use this.