cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux deb package for 5.10 twice as large

jack_c
Listener

The Ubuntu and Mint deb packages for 5.10.0 are about twice the size of previous releases, 128MB vs 57MB on my machine.

Wondering if anyone else noticed, or knows why this is.

2 REPLIES 2

appalloosa-cob
Listener

Interesting observation. If I look into the /opt/zoom/ folder, the "zoom" executable has grown considerably. Not sure why, because the file does not contain debug symbols. And looking at the new features, this 5.10 version is (again!) a disgrace compared to Windows, Mac and mobile versions. No dark theming, and still no support for stereo audio and original sound.

I noticed that as well, and also the /opt/zoom/cef directory which was not present in the previous release. This is the Chromium Embedded Framework, used to embed web browser functionality in an application. On my machine, /opt/zoom/cef accounts for about 222MB, and within the directory, the libcef.so file alone is about 171MB. The /opt/zoom directory is now about 455MB.

When I saw the size increase, I wondered whether there was some sort of issue. Maybe not, but I'm still unsure whether CEF was needed to support some new functionality, and if so, which. Disk space is cheap I guess 😉