cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop performance issue during Zoom meetings

EduardoJurado92
Listener

Hello Zoom Team.

I'm from the helpdesk support of a Tech Company based in the US. We use Zoom as our main app for meetings, I got a user that reported that he found an issue of low performance in his laptop when using Zoom for his daily meetings.

What I did do in order to try to solve the issue?

1. Re-installation of zoom app, restarting and got the same results.

2. Set default GPU to high performance for Zoom (zoom.exe & zoom launcher) on the settings for Display & Graphics (Se attached example).

After a restart and a real test meeting, the user reported that he is still on the same issue, low performance in the entire System only during meetings, after that, all is going well.

The laptop specs are Dell 7330, 12th gen i7 CPU, 16GB RAM, Win11, and 256GB SSD.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

EduardoJurado92
Listener

Hello.

We found the solution for the user by switching from 2.4Ghz band to 5Ghz band. FYI.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Thx123
Listener

Have you tried using 64bit zoom?  are you using a docking station? if so what model?

EduardoJurado92
Listener

Hello.

We found the solution for the user by switching from 2.4Ghz band to 5Ghz band. FYI.

Thanks.

Thank you for the update.

In your original post that user was experiencing low performance.   Was it bandwidth specific, or overall performance.  Like whole computer slowing down like CPU running at 100%?

I think it was only bandwidth related when using Zoom app because I tried to have the user use an ethernet cable as a test and Zoom went very well, without any slow performance during meetings but the user needed to use wi-fi, so the solution was to switch the band.

Thanks.

Thank you for the info Eduardo!

HazellyMores
Listener

There can be several reasons why your laptop is experiencing performance issues during Zoom meetings. Here are a few things you can try to resolve the issue

Update your laptop's software and drivers: Keeping your laptop's software and drivers up-to-date can help improve performance and resolve any compatibility issues.

Upgrade your internet connection: A slow or unstable internet connection can cause performance issues during Zoom meetings. Try to connect to a stronger Wi-Fi network or consider using an ethernet cable for a more stable connection.

Decrease the amount of running programs: Running multiple programs simultaneously can slow down your laptop and cause performance issues.

Try closing any unnecessary programs before starting a Zoom meeting.

Adjust video settings: If you are experiencing issues with video quality during Zoom meetings, try adjusting the video settings.

Decreasing the video quality or resolution can help improve performance.

Disable unneeded features: Features such as virtual backgrounds and screen sharing can consume significant system resources and cause performance issues. Try disabling these features during the meeting and see if it resolves the issue.

Upgrade your laptop: If your laptop is old or has limited specifications, it may not be able to handle the demands of Zoom meetings. Consider upgrading your laptop or adding more RAM to improve performance.

These steps should help resolve any performance issues you are experiencing during Zoom meetings. If the issue persists, it may be helpful to seek additional technical support or to consider contacting the manufacturer of your laptop for further assistance.

Congole
Listener

I am also having issues with Zoom and YouTube - videos.  
I have Spectrum:

Speed Test results

DOWNLOAD

364.6 Mbps
UPLOAD
11.6 Mbps
I'm assuming my bandwidth is great - according to the above.  Any other suggestions?  

Hi,  Which CPU do you have (12th gen Intel?)  Laptop Model?

I have the following:
11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz, 16 GB RAM, 64-bit OS, x64-based processor. It is an Inspiron 7506 2n1 laptop.  Everything used to be smooth with Zoom and other videos.  Now they are choppy and hard to watch.  Audio is OK.  I also have over 300MB/second download speed over wifi.

1. I'd recommend updating your laptop with the latest dell drivers (All of them) and bios.   Dell has Dell Command utilities that helps you all that.   
2. I'm assuming that you have the latest zoom version. 
3. try clearing local zoom cache... 

4. when was the last time you rebooted your router and cable modem? I'd try that too.