cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

July 15 change Claim host

Kirstie3CB
Listener

I have a pro account and host an AA meeting that meets daily. Each morning the chair person logs in as host using the claim host feature. If my chair is on a free account will our meeting be effected by the 40 minute limit?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Hi, @Kirstie3CB,

If the meeting is on your Zoom Account and you have a licensed account (Pro, Business or higher), then the duration of the meeting is set by the fact that you (the meeting owner) have a license, regardless of who ultimately ends up hosting the meeting.  Someone else might become the host if you start the meeting but leave, or they might join the meeting and "Claim Host" with your Host Key... and the meeting length is not affected if they are a Basic (free) account user.

Do note, however, that if you attempt to start a new meeting while that meeting is in progress, you will be prompted to acknowledge that the other meeting will be canceled in progress before starting your new meeting.  That meeting - even though hosted by someone else - still "belongs" to you, and you can only have one active meeting at a time.

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ray_Harwood

Hi, @Kirstie3CB,

If the meeting is on your Zoom Account and you have a licensed account (Pro, Business or higher), then the duration of the meeting is set by the fact that you (the meeting owner) have a license, regardless of who ultimately ends up hosting the meeting.  Someone else might become the host if you start the meeting but leave, or they might join the meeting and "Claim Host" with your Host Key... and the meeting length is not affected if they are a Basic (free) account user.

Do note, however, that if you attempt to start a new meeting while that meeting is in progress, you will be prompted to acknowledge that the other meeting will be canceled in progress before starting your new meeting.  That meeting - even though hosted by someone else - still "belongs" to you, and you can only have one active meeting at a time.

DanGo4th
Listener

Hi Ray,

I have a weekly meeting I would like to set up the claim host feature for but none of the 10s of hours on youtube and in the community chat room has been able to provide the correct instructions to do. I don't have waiting room access saved. I cannot add attendees nor can I add alternative hosts.

Can you help?

Dan

Ray_Harwood

Hey, Dan.

See this Zoom Support article on using the Host Key.  It's got a bit of jargon in it, but does cover all the bases:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/205172555-Using-your-host-key

Basically three "big steps":

1. For you: Schedule the meeting with Join Before Host enabled, Passcode enabled, and Waiting Room disabled.
  2. For you:  Find your Host Key and give it to an attendee you can trust.  (You're not trusting them with your life... just know that they can use the Host Key in any of your meetings.)
  3. For your chosen attendee: Join the meeting and "claim host".

DanGo4th
Listener

Thanks Ray!