cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues in the Zoom's New Whiteboard

Jac_85
Listener

Have been playing around with brand new Zoom whiteboard feature. Overall it looks great but I encountered some issues so far I'm hoping other users or Zoom staff can help troubleshoot: 

1) I found that I could work on a new whiteboard in a meeting as a host that was visible to my participants but participants were unable to contribute to/ collaborate in the whiteboard even though I selected the option to all participants to be able to edit. Anyone else having this issue?  

2) Another user, (one of the participants in my meeting) had pre-built a whiteboard in their zoom account outside a meeting and shared it with the zoom account I was using. It did show up in the whiteboard dashboard of my zoom account but when I went to open whiteboard in that meeting the whiteboard that had been shared with me didn't show up. 

3) I noticed the toolbar in the whiteboard when in in-meeting mode is pretty limited compared to the toolbar when using whiteboard outside of a meeting. For example, the "grab" tool to move around the whiteboard without selecting items is missing which is of course very limiting. 

4) Is there a way for participants to have the option of contributing/ collaborating on the Whiteboard anonymously? (Without attribution to their user-name). 

5) Are there planned updates for keyboard accessible alternatives for navigating the whiteboard? 

Thanks! Would appreciate any insight on these issues 

14 REPLIES 14

Nige_Dann
Listener

Hi,

I have had similar experiences as OP. In addition I have created whiteboards in my profile online which include pictures (e.g. jpg). They show up fine for me when shared in a meeting but participants to not see them at all. Participants upgraded desktop client to current version - 5.11.0 as of today. 

Any idea why this is - and more importantly, how to resolve it?

Cheers,

Nige

I too am experiencing this issue. Whiteboards I have created contain jpg images and text. When I share and collaborate the whiteboard to meeting participants, those participants that are within my organisation are able to see both image and text, whilst external participants are only able to see the text - the images are not visible to them at all. This has been consistent throughout several zoom meetings during August 2022.

heddent
Listener

In two separate groups, I have utilized the white board and at least 1/3 of the people did not see the tool bar so they could make notes on the whiteboard.  I cannot figure out why some people can and some cannot.  It's very frustrating. 

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @Jac_85 

1. There are some features that are currently not available in the in-meeting WB experience, but the team is working on achieving parity with the out-of-meeting experience to close the gap. 
  2. Not sure about that issue, but wondering if you are still having this issue now? 
  3. Similar to point #1, lots of tools and abilities that already exist in the out-of-meeting experience are coming to the in-meeting experience. 
  4. Not sure if this is on the roadmap, but you can submit a feature request here: https://zoom.us/feed
  5. Same as #4, not sure about the roadmap, but that would be a good feature request. 

@Nige_Dann I'm not aware of any issues related to images not appearing when uploaded from the web WB. Are you still experiencing this issue? 

@heddent were all the participants on the most recent version of the Zoom app? It could be they were on an older version that didn't support as many options. 

I would think they are all on the same version since it is a corporate account.  We all get the updates pushed out us.  

@Bort I can confirm I am also experiencing the issue that @Nige_Dann reported (Aug '22)

We had a meeting today as well. and some participants were not able to see the whiteboard while others could. I am not sure what the issue is. Some also were seeing a greyed our screen when I was sharing the whiteboard. There is no way in the settings to change the access level for out-of-organization people to editor. That is a big issue with the whiteboard!

As of today - same issues as some of the others. The person who is hosting the meeting can access and use the annotation/text/drawing toolbar - while none of the other participants can see it - even other co-hosts. 

An additional issue with the new whiteboard is that we are having people that are participants on mobile devices will end up on a different area of the whiteboard and can't see the content.

Never ran into these issues with other versions.

dn1
Listener

I can confirm as of today that my participants (in my meeting) can still see my new whiteboard, and can see ME writing/drawing on it but they themselves get no writing implements to write or draw on my whiteboard.

SiobhanMF
Listener

I've twice had the experience that either my client can't see what I'm writing on the whiteboard or in a group meeting, the rest of us could not see what 1 person was writing - and she had volunteered to be the scribe so that was a problem. I've lost my confidence in using the whiteboard and that's a big problem since it's integral to my work . Have been using Google meet instead - not worth paying for Zoom if this continues. There's no troubleshooting guide - maybe that would help. 

LisaSilverman
Listener

We had this same issue. One person couldn't access the editing tools even though everyone else in the room could. It wasn't even showing up for her. So frustrating as we wanted her to vote on some things. 

daspiel
Listener

I've had many complaints of faculty members sharing a browser and then going to the whiteboard and there is a lot of lag. We attempted to try the workaround to go back to the old whiteboard, but it didn't work.

Palmer
Attendee | Zoom Employee
Attendee | Zoom Employee

@LisaSilverman - I know i'm a year late to reply... but do you still see that issue after updating to the latest client version of Zoom?

@daspiel - Would you mind sharing a bit more detail about your scenario? I'd love to better understand what exactly is going on and see if its a bug we can fix or some other enhancement we can implement.

My zoom just updated a few weeks ago. I can draw, but my students on the other end cannot. I can see their cursor moving, but they can’t draw. I have one student that is super motivated to draw with me and since the update, we can’t which is really disappointing. I really hope there is a fix to this or at least let me go back to the old version.