cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an option to change the menu bar icon back?

StrayTaco
Listener

I see that the menu bar icon has changed from a narrow, video camera icon to a double-width icon of the word "zoom".  On MacBooks, this is a big problem because of the "notch". Having that double-width icon pushes other icons out of view.

I love having Zoom in my menu bar, but with the size I have to remove it. Is there any way to set the icon back to the smaller one, so I can keep it?

20 REPLIES 20

YaBoiB
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello @StrayTaco

To my knowledge the icon is the same size that it has always been we just changed the logo inside of the icon. I have a mac and I cannot tell the difference. Is there an accessibility setting that you have selected that maybe I do not have selected on my machine? 

Thanks, 

Brandon 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

morgan_z
Listener

I would also like to be able to switch back. The new menu bar icon is unnecessarily large and takes up way too much space. Here's some screenshots showing the icon next to some normal sized icons, not sure how you can't see the difference @YaBoiB, it's nearly twice as wide. The old icon (the camera) was roughly the same size as the wifi or bluetooth icons here, and it fit in much better.

Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 1.57.23 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 1.56.32 PM.png

Styan
Listener

I'd like to +1 the camera icon making a come back. The full word ZOOM takes too much room!

YaBoiB

@Styan  and @morgan_z

This is our new platform icon and I do not see this changing anytime soon, but you can send your feedback to the zoom.us/feed page and if enough customers are not happy with the new design the Product team will definitely take that into consideration. 

Thanks, 

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

@YaBoiB I understand that this is the new platform icon, and I don't specifically want the old camera icon back, just something square so that the icon doesn't take up so much space. On Windows for example the icon in the taskbar is a square, why can't something like this be used on macOS as well?

morgan_z_0-1673569983480.png

yeah man that's not ok. If every app did that with their logos, most of us would need a 90" display to have them all in the menu bar.

It's really bad and it shows how Zoom doesn't care about UX and their users. You can't change the menu bar icon to a smaller (standard) one! No other app I use is so inconsiderate of users' needs and arrogant in the UI.

The only choice here is to remove Zoom from the menu bar: a loss for both parts (users and folks at zoom). 

@giovannim wrote:

No other app I use is so inconsiderate of users' needs and arrogant in the UI.

This is it for me. I get that someone at Zoom decided this is really important for their brand... And other than this decision my feelings about the Zoom brand have been pretty positive. But this double-wide icon just makes me think that the "Zoom Brand" is telling me that the "Zoom Brand" is more important than its function.

And in the end, I've now removed Zoom from my menu bar entirely, so how is that good for the "Zoom Brand"?

Please pass this along to the appropriate Product Manager.

Not only do I loathe this change, but I will no longer keep zoom running on my machine. This is, first and foremost, a space violation at best, and incredibly rude at worst. This is like going into a crowded subway and lying prone on the accessibility sections and making the other apps push into the menubar.

If I were Sr. Product Mgr for Zoom, I'd think twice before doing this, because it's one step away from violating the trust of your users.

I agree that it's a bit much. Please fix this. Not a single other app on Mac takes the liberty of taking this much space.

FelikZ
Listener

This new icon is eating all the space from navigation bar. Luckily you can disable it in settings or switch to Meet / Teams.

YaBoiB

Hello All, 

As I stated above, please express your concerns to our team through the correct process on our Feedback page. This page is monitored by the Product team, which makes these decisions. 

Thank you, 

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

Can you do that and share back the link?

BobaMilo
Listener

I have been booking my meetings on Teams just because of this. That tray icon looks like an advertisement banner. I cannot go to my clients with that on my screen.

jbrsd
Listener

Please change this back to a single-wide icon.

Personally I've disabled the menu bar item completely now.

jbrsd_0-1678453267943.png

This resolves my problem entirely. Thank you!

mrw6
Listener

In command-line shell:

cd /Applications/zoom.us.app/Contents/Frameworks/zMacResRetina.bundle/Contents/Resources
sudo chmod 777 .
sudo chmod 666 menu_tray*

Use Preview to crop menu_tray.png and *********** to just the letter Z.

In same shell as above:

sudo chmod 755 .
sudo chmod 644 menu_tray*

Restart Zoom

This is excellent, I had some finickyness with resizing, note that the 2x.png has to be exactly twice the size of the menu_tray.png file, so in my case, it was 9px by 8px, and therefore 18px by 16px in the 2x file. It got grumpy when they weren't perfectly matched, but I love this hack! I recommend keeping a copy of your cropped images, so that if Zoom updates, and puts the big one back, you can quickly copy them back in again, like:

# Assuming the cropped images are in ~/Desktop/zoomicons/
sudo cp ~/Desktop/zoomicons/menu_tray* /Applications/zoom.us.app/Contents/Frameworks/zMacResRetina.bundle/Contents/Resources/

Here is what it looks like now!

Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 9.10.22 AM.png

mrw6
Listener

The second filename was incorrectly interpreted as an email address.  Here's a second attempt:

Use Preview to crop menu_tray.png and menu_tray @2x.png to just the letter Z

This hack doesn't seem to be working for me. Has anyone else had any luck?

It is still working for me in 5.17.2.  As mitchell-l-avp said, there may be sensitivity to file sizes.  Here are some details around my replacement images.  The "*" is really an "at" symbol that seems to be misinterpreted by the site software.

$ file menu_tray*
menu_tray.png:    PNG image data, 8 x 9, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced
menu_tray*2x.png: PNG image data, 16 x 18, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced