cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interpretation Audio Loss

interpreter_cky
Listener

I was interpreting the other day. Everything seemed fine, but my boothmate texted me saying my sound stopped coming through and people were hearing the original audio on the Chinese channel. There was no sign of any connection issues on my end. I could hear the speakers clearly without any sound distortion. Video was fine too. It seemed the downloading traffic was intact but the uploading flow was jammed. Has anyone experienced something similar?

I know a colleague who had this problem on both her laptop and phone. So it's probably not a device issue, but rather a connection problem. I've only had it once out of hundreds of Zoom assignments but it still makes me nervous. It happened to me when I was using my iPhone with 5G data connection. My wifi isn't very reliable (like I would get ejected from the meeting and then automatically logged in again when working on my laptop). So I switched to my iPhone as my main device a while ago. It'd been working very well until this new problem occurred last week. I'd really appreciate it if IT experts can weigh in here and help me troubleshoot! Thank you!~

1 REPLY 1

Taenite
Listener

I had a series of glitches when Zoom released a certain update in December of 2022 (5.13.3).  Others reported a range of problems.  The instability of the Zoom desktop client (running under Windows 11) was particularly distressing.  I uninstalled the client - then downloaded a more recent version (5.13.7).  The glitches went away. 

Note that if others were able to hear the original "main channel" audio instead of your interpreted version (your voice), that would be consistent with your audio not reaching the "Zoom interpretation Server".   The system is designed to allow the audience to hear the primary channel (primary speaker, audio) while an interpreter is silent.   This makes sense:  better for the audience to hear something - even if they cannot understand it properly - than nothing at all.   HENCE, there was a bottleneck or blockage in audio data flow from your microphone to the algorithms within the system that decide whether to transmit YOUR voice to the audience that has selected your channel - or simply feed through the original audio.   ///  This presumably would happen if (for example) you were  speaking very quietly OR your microphone output setting was very low OR there was a hardware glitch causing intermittent flow of the signal from the sensor in your microphone into the "pipeline".