cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable login verification code

leopoldj
Participant

We have a Zoom account that is shared by several people to host meetings. When logging into Zoom it often thinks that there is an unusual login and the hosts are asked to enter a verification code (please see screenshot below). The verification code is sent to the account email that these hosts have no access to. This is causing a lot of frustration and delays. Is there any way we can disable this logion verification? Thank you.

leopoldj_0-1643314139619.png

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Subzer01
Listener | Zoom Employee
Listener | Zoom Employee

Hello,

With Client Release 5.9.0, Zoom added an additional security feature to protect the accounts of our customers. This feature is designed to avoid fraud and abuse. When attempting to log in from a different device/ location, Zoom will send a One Time Password (OTP) to the user's email.

If for any reason, you are having issues logging in because of the feature above, please contact support so they can investigate and provide solutions as necessary.
Support can enable their 2FA in order to bypass the security feature mentioned above so that users can temporarily log in to their account.

Thanks,

Allan

View solution in original post

Rich1971
Listener

Hello

We were having the same issue with one account and multiple different users having to log in to host meetings. 

The way "around" it is to turn on 2FA. 

Hear me out...

Setup Google authenticator on a device but instead of using the qr code that zoom shows, choose to use the alphanumeric code instead. Make a note of this code. 

Then anyone that needs to use the account just needs to setup Google authenticator on their phone/tablet using the same alphanumeric code. 

This works well for us, hopefully useful for others.

Rich

dflinton
Attendee

After a week or bit more and a few back and forth with support we did get an exemption. They required a signoff on the fact that it will your security profile will be less by opting out and a explanation of why it wouldn't work for our situation.  They did state in their few standard replies that sharing accounts is against usage, i didn't try to argue that just how we use it, how we have been using it for years, and how 2fa and SSO wouldn't work. So a support ticket seems the way to go until they get enough of them they change it for everyone. 

Our admin set up a separate email to serve as the login for one of our organization’s licenses.  It’s not the main organization email and used only for Zoom.  The people who use Zoom in our organization have access to this email account and can pick up any OTP request.  Works so far. 

187 REPLIES 187

This is really a pain.  Why in the world are you doing this.  I only use one account and one computer.  Why is it telling me it’s an unusual device.  I have no other device.  Never had any other device.  Probably won’t get another device.  Now I’m locked out of my account.  I guess it’s back to Google meet.  Tried to reach support on the phone.  They need some account key or something.  I have no clue.  Don’t have time to deal with this stuff.  The problem with programmers is they think programming.  They don’t actually use the platform on a day to day so they have no clue.  

dflinton
Attendee

To reiterate some comments, we need the OTP disabled, we can't use the 2fa or the SSO in the manner this product was rolled out and we have used for 2 + years now.  You will need to affect a change whether that's disable the OTP, allow us to choose to enable or disable, something else. We can't afford to provide everyone a pro account so they can manage their own OTP, but then they probably wouldn't need it, so it does seem this is punitive wrapped in a 'security' blanket.  The product has been great and we do notice all the work zoom does but this does really seem like a deal breaker our users can't use it in this way. Thanks for all the good times. 

We completely concur with above. Users for 3+ years in the education sector. Have 10 accounts for each of our permanaet staff but one account for one group of classes which we use temporary staff changing weekly. The OTP has ruined things for us without any warning. Zoom knew this  from comments above, disabled it then re-enabled it without warning. Goes to show how much they care about education business. We will be looking for other alternatives.  

JPWW
Listener

I am a volunteer part of an organization - a church - that also has a paid Zoom account. I have been successfully logging in remotely on the same computer to host weekly meetings since March 2020.   And I experienced the OTP this morning as I tried to begin a prayer meeting at 7 am, way before anyone in the church office would be available to access the official log in email.  This of course was annoying as well as distressing. 

As others have stated, more than one person and certainly more than office staff, use the PAID Zoom account to facilitate meetings for prayer, study, church business, planning, etc.  We obviously don't do this all at the same time.  When he checked into this after I alerted him to the issue, our office administrator was told today that we have to have a separate license for every person who uses the church's Zoom account. WHAT?  This doesn't seem like 'security' to me; it seems like a deliberate attempt on the part of Zoom to get more money!  Surely not everyone in an organization using Zoom has access to the account email, and surely not everyone using Zoom is working in an office where they would have access to it.  What part of REMOTE working does Zoom not understand? Ironic!

Exactly.  The famous "security" excuse.

Rich1971
Listener

Hello

We were having the same issue with one account and multiple different users having to log in to host meetings. 

The way "around" it is to turn on 2FA. 

Hear me out...

Setup Google authenticator on a device but instead of using the qr code that zoom shows, choose to use the alphanumeric code instead. Make a note of this code. 

Then anyone that needs to use the account just needs to setup Google authenticator on their phone/tablet using the same alphanumeric code. 

This works well for us, hopefully useful for others.

Rich

It seems from your description it is a little technical and we should rehearse and get this setup prior to the meeting to confirm everyone understands what to do.  

How do you set up zoom so it goes to google authenticator rather than to your email address.

I am the only user, but I never get the emails with the code. I have checked with my IT dept and it is not going into spam, I am just not getting it. And my acct wont allow for contact of zoom so this is the only help available.

LaoNext
Listener

Here we go again,

We have 100+ licences and considering ordering more, but this OTP will definetly make us review our choices and go on TEAMS.

Zoom starting to be untrustfull. They are on the path of their decline...

Same thing here, we are planning to unsubscribe our zoom account and start to use the other tools.

CPI
Listener

We have the same issue. Please just disable the annoying OTP. 😡

LaoNext
Listener

Dear ZOOM,   

You are shooting yourself on the foot. I hope you understand that.

Thanks

dflinton
Attendee

I don't think so at this point. if they drop the hammer and say we aren't using it in agreement with the terms, I leave and use another product.. if it continues to not work for us... i leave and use another product. This list of about a hundred people having the same problem is how you get things done. 

LiderazgoSER
Listener

I have the same problem. Please I need support because I have a lot of employees that are using this account.

Regards,

Aura

dflinton
Attendee

Just filed a ticket requesting a bypass of the OTP until they have a fix. we'll see. Its amazing all the people here, I don't know if it will make a difference but maybe everyone should enter a support ticket too... they don't seem to care bout us posting here.

CARM
Attendee

I filed a ticket via the Support portal requesting OTP be disabled for our company.  Zoom Support sent me an email asking for details as to why we cannot just use 2FA or SOS.  I have sent the reasons why these options won't work for us.

Meanwhile, I am using a temporary workaround until OTP is eliminated. 

I have activated 2FA for all of our accounts, however, I have not set up the actual 2FA app information on the Zoom accounts.  So, when our trainers login they will get a message that the administrator has set up 2FA and request that they set up the 2FA.  There is a option on the page: Not ready to set up two-factor authentication? Skip.".  They can just click on "Skip" and go right into the account and no OTP is activated.

Hopefully, Zoom will soon get the message from all of our comments here and Support tickets that OTP should be optional at the discretion of the account holder and not just globally implemented.  If not, as others have mentioned, then Teams is a good alternative.

Thanks CARM i will try that also. I just received the answer to the support ticket and it seems they are sticking to their guns, the answer was boiler plate about how to use OTP and their other security features not even recognizing my question or the problem. So they've transitioned to  just another cooperation. This model just wont work for us. Maybe we go to 40 minute programs and they get no money. Will start looking at alternatives. 

Buttercup
Attendee | Zoom Employee
Attendee | Zoom Employee

You can reply back and tell them it doesn't work for your use case to move your request forward

If my answer was helpful or solved your issue, please remember to like or mark the solution!

I'm attaching a Snip of the options I see in my Profile for 2FA.  I'm looking at this via my desktop not via my phone. 

Ah thank you! I was looking at the main account manager 2fa setup not the individual user 2fa i was misunderstanding. That did it i did get the skip this time with the account 2fa off and the user 2fa on. 

Thank you! 

Well i don't know if they changed anything but I don't see a skip option. I also didn't see setting up actual 2fa app information. I  only get the one slider for 2fa on or off, i can pick who it applies to. I also had the support guy quote this work around. This is insane. Our 40 people that have programs scheduled out through October have to guess if they will get teh OTP lockout or if i can get back to them in 10 minutes with the password. This is almost class action suit worthy. 

valleri
Listener

So many of us seriously affected by this and not a peep. We're a nonprofit sharing four pro accounts for different hosts to run vital  support groups. 

I've opened a support ticket. In the meanwhile, if hosts use their personal email to log in and then use Zoom account Hostkey to claim meeting host, would that be ok workaround until it's fixed, or we leave?

dflinton
Attendee

Since they ignore us here mabye we goto twitter or other social media @Anonymous there is  a new president maybe we can persuade him. 

devolver
Listener

We purchased 12 extra license seats from Zoom, specifically for using with different trainers across the country. These accounts often are used by one person on one day, and someone totally different on another day and in another location in the country.

These users sign in with a trainer+1 trainer+2 etc. username/password combo that are tied to our trainer@....  Gmail address and these trainers do NOT have access to the email inbox for this address.

This is the place that these 'codes' are sent to..  This means we have to babysit this email address and have someone internal to the company send out each individual code to each of these different remote trainers, each of whom are in different time zones, etc.

This isn't security, or you would just allow this to be a toggle setting in the Advanced tab in Zoom settings. This is Zoom being heavy-handed in the way that they enforce the terms in which you use their service.

You gave no notice when you turned it on the first time which pretty much enraged everyone, then turned it off re-evaluate.

I guess you are done re-evaluating, because you turn it back on AGAIN with NO notice, causing panicked scrambling as we have training in place tomorrow. We give you a lot of $$$ and this is serious cause for us to do some re-evaluation on our own as to the service we pay for.

widyo
Listener

the other solution is to use Host Key, instead of sharing your account to others. Using Host Key so you can easily gave the host to others without sharing your premium account, ergo, no verification code (OTP).

I don't see how this would work.  One needs to be able to sign in to the account to obtain the host key.  Those of us trying to legitimately sign in to begin legitimate meetings can't even get to the account profile to see the Host Key, much less use it.  We first encounter the OTP verification demand, and that's as far as we can go, if we don't have access to the email where the verification code is sent.

widyo
Listener

One needs to sign in with the zoom premium account, create the scheduled zoom links, and obtained the hostkey to be given to the other one whom login with another zoom basic account, whom using the hostkey to claim the host role.

Just make sure of one thing, don't enable the waiting room and set the login time to 'anytime' while creating the scheduled zoom links.

Enjoy! 😃

We're using an automated service (Apiant) to interface with our scheduling software (Mind Body) to create classes  / meetings typically 48 hours before the start time. It's all automated and has (to date) worked very well with minimal administration.

Just a lot of overhead to to have obtain the host key and send to instructors, who are not typically power users.

juderussell
Listener

Yoga Studio here - same issue. Our instructors are unable to log in reliably due to OTP. So far I end up providing the

We partner with Apiant to link up Zoom and Mind Body which forces us into setting up discrete zoom accounts (to make things work, automating meeting/class set up, registering students, etc.)  so having a separate account for each instructor is cost-prohibitive (most teach 1x per week) - we do have 3 paid accounts, we'd need to increase that to 10 or 12 to cover all the instructors teaching remotely. 

If this continue we will need to migrate off zoom and onto the Mind Body branded platform. Not happy about that.  

Maybe to ease things down, the ZOOM people should made all registered BASIC zoom accounts can be added to the users management list and CAN be made as an alternative hosts which will be used for hosting the scheduled meeting.

After all, we all try to build a community here..  please ease of a thing or two.

sfyera
Listener

Joining the chat to confirm that we have encountered this issue for the first time this week and from two computers regularly used by our teachers.  This is making the use of the room impossible if the office manager is out of the office and we can't access her email account.  What do we need to do to set the email account for this to a common mailbox so it is available when we sign in? 

celc
Listener

This is SUCH a problem!! Zoom needs to address this.

fernandez_j
Listener

A suggestion: write to your preferred national newspaper - the Tech editors should have a field day with this issue.

GITtoronto
Listener

Has anyone had any success on getting Zoom Support to disable the feature? Any idea how long this takes? I've reached out and not a peep. 

Im in the middle of negotiating.. begging, for them to opt us out of the OTP.  Its via their support system and its a week so far of several emails back and forth and everyone ends with, this isn't a guarantee we will/can remove OTP our teams are looking into it. 

pwk
Listener

Same issue for our small non-profit offering free support services to cancer patients. We pay for 10 accounts. Has anyone had any success using the support ticket request? If so, suggested template for request?

dflinton
Attendee

After a week or bit more and a few back and forth with support we did get an exemption. They required a signoff on the fact that it will your security profile will be less by opting out and a explanation of why it wouldn't work for our situation.  They did state in their few standard replies that sharing accounts is against usage, i didn't try to argue that just how we use it, how we have been using it for years, and how 2fa and SSO wouldn't work. So a support ticket seems the way to go until they get enough of them they change it for everyone. 

Hos did you get in touch with  support to tell them to disable ? I have a paid acct , but it says - Unfortunately, your account does not have access to live chat support or phone support

I cannot get into zoom when offsite because the emails never come.

IT Support here, this is good to know I'll feed this back to our customer .. cheers for that. 🙂

A super easy solution (wish we'd always used this) that keeps the accounts more secure it to use Zoom's "claim host" feature. Hosts then do not need to log into the organization's Zoom accounts at all. They use the participants' link, and you give them the permanent code to "claim host".