cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable login verification code

leopoldj
Participant

We have a Zoom account that is shared by several people to host meetings. When logging into Zoom it often thinks that there is an unusual login and the hosts are asked to enter a verification code (please see screenshot below). The verification code is sent to the account email that these hosts have no access to. This is causing a lot of frustration and delays. Is there any way we can disable this logion verification? Thank you.

leopoldj_0-1643314139619.png

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Subzer01
Listener | Zoom Employee
Listener | Zoom Employee

Hello,

With Client Release 5.9.0, Zoom added an additional security feature to protect the accounts of our customers. This feature is designed to avoid fraud and abuse. When attempting to log in from a different device/ location, Zoom will send a One Time Password (OTP) to the user's email.

If for any reason, you are having issues logging in because of the feature above, please contact support so they can investigate and provide solutions as necessary.
Support can enable their 2FA in order to bypass the security feature mentioned above so that users can temporarily log in to their account.

Thanks,

Allan

View solution in original post

Rich1971
Listener

Hello

We were having the same issue with one account and multiple different users having to log in to host meetings. 

The way "around" it is to turn on 2FA. 

Hear me out...

Setup Google authenticator on a device but instead of using the qr code that zoom shows, choose to use the alphanumeric code instead. Make a note of this code. 

Then anyone that needs to use the account just needs to setup Google authenticator on their phone/tablet using the same alphanumeric code. 

This works well for us, hopefully useful for others.

Rich

dflinton
Attendee

After a week or bit more and a few back and forth with support we did get an exemption. They required a signoff on the fact that it will your security profile will be less by opting out and a explanation of why it wouldn't work for our situation.  They did state in their few standard replies that sharing accounts is against usage, i didn't try to argue that just how we use it, how we have been using it for years, and how 2fa and SSO wouldn't work. So a support ticket seems the way to go until they get enough of them they change it for everyone. 

Our admin set up a separate email to serve as the login for one of our organization’s licenses.  It’s not the main organization email and used only for Zoom.  The people who use Zoom in our organization have access to this email account and can pick up any OTP request.  Works so far. 

187 REPLIES 187

TCHWCS
Listener

I'm late to this party but just started having the same issue. Small nonprofit, multiple accounts but multiple users per account. Did anyone ever find a satisfactory solution? The verification codes aren't even coming through when I can access the related email.  Incredibly frustrating!

We're having the same issue. A small non-profit - we need to share the Zoom accounts. At the moment, we set up the emails to get auto-forwarded to 2 of us, then the teachers needs to text us if they need a code. It's a pain.

DYO
Listener

is it possible to request Zoom to disable it ?

YaBoiB
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello,
My name is Brandon. Thanks for joining the Zoom Community! This function is a security feature, so Zoom cannot disable it. Please see our blog on this subject that was published back on April 25th of this year.  https://blog.zoom.us/how-zoom-works-to-protect-your-account/

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Well in that case, we will have no option but to cancel our subscriptions to zoom and go with Microsoft Teams instead. Zoom enabled the security feature, so why can't zoom just as simply disable it. It is causing havoc to many of your customers. Amazon, iTunes, apple, microsoft just issue emails with warnings when attempts to sign-in  from "suspicious locations" are made, so instead of blocking the attempt and sending a OTP, why not just do that? Apart from that, everywhere outside of the office has suddenly been decreed a suspicious location. What criteria does zoom use for a "suspicious location"?

YaBoiB

Hello @NWSS_IT_Admin,
I did some more digging on this. I was not aware, but apparently, there is a lot of user chatter about this. I am being told that if the Owner/Admin can provide Zoom Support in writing (support ticket) of the use case of why they cannot use SSO, 2FA, or OTP, we can potentially disable OTP on the account. Note, that this is not a guarantee, it will still be up for approval by our Trust and Safety team. Let me ask the moderators to submit a support ticket on your behalf. 

Anyone else on this thread, if you have a legitimate use case for the need to disable OTP from your account, please submit a support ticket and reference this thread. This will be reviewed on a case by case basis by the T&S team. 

Thanks, 

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

YaBoiB

Hello,

Thank you for your patience. Our team has temporarily disabled OTP globally as we re-evaluate. For the time being OTP has been disabled on login.

Please try logging in again, and If you are still having difficulties logging in, please let me know.

Thanks,

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

Thank you! That is great news.

Hi Brandon,

Temporarily disabling OTP on a global basis simply is not good enough.

You,  ZOOM, have actually disabled proper access to our PAID licenses without

ever notifying us, and, to make things worse, you are NOT sending out the verification

email-messages. This is an utter disgrace, and constitutes a breach of contract from

ZOOM's end.

We have now spent hours and hours trying to find out what really happened - with our

users not being able to use the PAID licenses. Are you going to reimburse us for all the

time spent, and all the aggravation you have caused?

Peter van Velzen, NL.

YaBoiB

Hello @FHM , 

That is a conversation that you should have with your AE from Zoom. This is not the correct forum for a conversation as such. 

Thanks, 

Brandon 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

Hi Brandon,

Thank you for your response, but, no, sorry, not so helpful.

Who decides what can be posted on this forum? You? Zoom?

Zoom has effectively robbed us from properly using our licenses, by introducing

what Zoom calls a 'security-measure' - an OTP based on an alledged suspicious login.

This is because the emails with the login verification code were simply never sent

by Zoom - so testifies my external, third-party email-filter.

And this issue is now deemed Resolved ? By disabling, globally, this OTP-feature?

Come on, you must be capable of doing better than that  !

BTW: I have always been a true believer, advocating Zoom over anything else.

Peter van Velzen - NL.

Hi Peter,

I'm the original poster of this topic. We haven't encountered any issues since the OTP feature was disabled yesterday. It will take few days to know for sure if the OTP emails due to unusual login actually stopped.

It's not exactly clear from the two messages you have posted what kind of problems you are still having. I would like to know since it may affect us as well. Can you please provide more details about what problems you are still having? Thank you.

Hi LeopoldJ,

Thank you for reaching out, and thank you for initiating this thread in the first place.

I do not know where you are located - I am in The Netherlands, Europe.

Our problems went away only a few hours ago, after suffering multiple days where

our Zoom licenses were largely inoperable. I guess when Zoom disabled this so-called

security feature, it took a while before the new status rippled through to the rest of the

world ..... What I do know, for certain, is that Zoom never sent out these login verification

email-messages - running through the logs on our externally hosted, third-party email-

filter (aimed at blocking spam), no trace could be found of these login verification messages.

Perhaps this type of messages were sent out elswhere, but certainly not here.

==

What bothers me is the fact that Zoom, at the expense of its current customers,

and without notifying anyone, changes the EULA. I am in the midst of exchanging

hardware within one of the institutions we administer - exchanging fixed workstations

with laptops - with all of these devices having been used within the same environment,

on the same domain, within the same IP-ranges, using the same Zoom-credentials -

and all of a sudden, the Zoom-logins from within our office-environment are deemed

''suspicious''.  Now, I do not know what AI Zoom is using to decide that the login-

attempts are, all-of-a-sudden, suspicious, but they are definitely legit.

The condescending comments from the so-called Community Champions are then

just the icing on the cake:

* jeremyjustin: By the way, it would be great if we could have you work with sales to

acquire some more licenses so you don't have to share and run into these workflow snags -

* Brandon:I did some more digging on this. I was not aware, but apparently, there is a lot

of user chatter about this -

= these statements reveal the real purpose of this 'security feature': selling more licenses,

and coercing existing users into this mold. These Community Champions are clearly not

interested in building a community, and caring about the issues encountered - wolves in

sheep-clothes, it would seem to me.

Unfortunately Zoom is turning into a company with greed and profit as main drivers,

which is also clear from the recent time-limitation Zoom has imposed onto 1-to-1 sessions.

I fear Zoom will do this again. They will introduce new 'features', and try to sell them as 'uniforming' or as 'security improvements' - disrupting the day-to-day operations of their customers, and downplaying the aggravation caused as 'chatter', and trying to sell you

a few extra licenses on-the-side. The first problem we will encounter, soon, again, is when

Zoom will re-activate OTP - they have only de-activated OTP on a temporary basis .....

--

I consider the Zoom-technology as superior to Teams, especially in the area of

audio - where it counts, in meetings, is in the audio area - the rest is of less importance.

To the users we support the intelligent user-interface is important: it is simple, yet complete.

However, if Zoom keeps up this attitude of neglecting its existing customers, a lot of us

will have to turn to Teams - we cannot go through these pains again and again, while,

at the same time, being belittled by our Community Champions.

I know, ranting .....

Best regards,

Peter.

The OTP is back on.

I can confirm this. Just failed to log in to an account that I am about use as host (without access to the email in question) tomorrow. I am pretty "papa oscar" about this. There should be an option to disable this "feature" in the web interface for good.

Hello,

One of our users experienced the "unusual sign-in detected" issue along with the OTP prompt. So, does this mean that OTP has been re-enabled?

Are you sure it's still turned off? We are still encountering users in our org ( EDU license) that are experiencing the OTP verification requests last week and this week too. 

My organization experienced this OTP issue for the first time this morning, and it caused a major problem. It does not seem like it is disabled anymore.

Our situation is the same as the original poster and several of the other posters. Meeting hosts log in to a shared account with a license to initiate a meeting from several different computers. This has never been a problem until now. Early this morning, I tried to initiate a meeting from the same computer that the MAJORITY of our meetings are hosted from and it requested a OTP to be entered. But unfortunately emails go to our office manager who wasn't even in for the day yet, so it was impossible to get the needed OTP. Generally, the people hosting are going to have no access to our office email account where the emails are sent.

We can't just leave the computer logged in all the time because as soon as another host logs in to another computer the original computer gets logged out.

We can't use multiple logins (each with their own email account for OTP) because we need to share licenses and as far as I know there is no way to share licenses between Zoom logins,

This a major problem for us, and we would request that this feature be turned off again globally, that you provide a way to opt out, or you find a way that it would be able to be consistent with this use case (multiple people logging in under same shared Zoom account with email account not accessible to those people). There's also no reason it should have considered the computer/location that uses Zoom the most as an unusual login.

Thank you.

Our company has also been experiencing the same problem, including this morning.  If the OTP is not eliminated we will also have to cancel our multiple Zoom licenses.

Hi, Angie here writing from Singapore.  We are experiencing the same issue here.  Our Zoom account is a corporate one like many of you here.  Been using the SAME PC to log in for the past year with no problems and then all of a sudden yesterday...BOOM...this notice comes up.  It is SO frustrating as I'm a teacher with 3 to 4 virtual classes a day.  All the other teachers faced the same problem.  

I have a class in 1/2 an hour and am still not able to get in. 😠

Zoom has stolen a page from Netflix by cracking down on account sharing (under the disguise/pretext of "security") using the OTP method to inconvenience people. After all, they are soon going to be irrelevant as the world moves on from post COVID and they have to recover from  their tanking shares. 
Luckily for our education institution, Zoom was just a bridge gap during COVID era and will be phased out by end of the year in lieu for MS Teams that's already available to us for "free"

Hello,

Any update on this? Still asking for OTP until now. Can we please have the option to disable it??

Thank you!

Buttercup
Attendee | Zoom Employee
Attendee | Zoom Employee

Please put in a ticket request that it be disabled for your account.  You'll need to provide your use case as to why 2FA isn't an option

If my answer was helpful or solved your issue, please remember to like or mark the solution!

Zoom just asked me to key in my OTP on 3rd of Jun 2022.  Di you just enable it again?  

Sorry, we're still getting the messages requiring a code to log in from a "suspicious" source. Our teachers are having to text an admin to get the code when they log in. And it's unpredictable - sometimes the code is required, sometimes it is now.

Probably mine would be the weirdest issue on the earth. Its asking for OTP when I login using the same device from a different location. How do I even work from anywhere. It doesn't fit my requirement and there is no solution to disable this

It's still a a serious problem for us!

Brandon - this just started happening to our account about a month ago and continues to this day (I am in Canada).  Like many on here we are a non-profit teaching organization and this has been a nightmare for us!  Have you re-introduced OTP?!?

Have you tried using the "claim host" feature rather than having your hosts log into the Zoom accounts? We finally thought of that and it seems to be a great solution - does away with the OTC issue and keeps our accounts more secure.  https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/205172555-Using-your-host-key 

Thank you so much for this suggestion!  We experimented with this solution, and it seems like it's going to work for what we need.

Hello,

Has the OTP been active back? Just today (2022-07-26) I had an issue with that. 

This makes impossible for us to work with Zoom, since only one person has access to the registered email.

Please disable OTP or allow user to do so.

Thanks.

Try the "Claim Host" approach - no one will need to log into your Zoom accounts. If you search for "claim host" in this forum, you'll see more info & answers to questions about it. It is working for many of us who are in the same spot as you are.

Hi Brandon,

We are still having OTP issues with our Zoom accounts.

Good afternoon - Did Zoom reenable this function?    The OTP is creating a lot of challenges among our team and we will need to find another platform if this is a permanent feature.

Try this - it is a great option for us and for others here. You can search this forum for "claim host" and see what others have said / answers to some potential questions: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115001315866-Claiming-host-privileges-in-Zoom-Rooms-with-t...

This doesn't help us because we don't want all the attendees to be able to join before the host. We want them waiting in the waiting room until the host is ready. If we do the claim host option than we have to allow "join before host".

True.

Hi lwood83

Our church administrator solved this by creating a whole new email account for the sign in for our organization's zoom account.  He worked with the Zoom rep to change it.  This is not the main church email or any of the staff's email, simply for Zoom.  He gave the sign in credentials for that email to those of us who use Zoom to run meetings, workshops, and retreats via Zoom.  So, no one need have the secure email for the church and so far, it's working well.  If we get the OTP code request we can easily access that email and log into Zoom.  Maybe this will work for others.

We are still having exactly the same problem. Can you please disable globally and permanently?

I got the same issue here we're going to use another tools for online meeting. Zoom is not convenience anymore.