cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Connect Bluetooth speaker with zoom?

SaraKarolina
Listener

82 REPLIES 82

You legend! Thanks, this worked for me.

Not sure how many more people Zoom needs to report this bug to issue a fix. It's such a basic functionality and fairly important one as people take calls on the move and need to use their headphones. Zoom, can you fix this ffs.

Omg this workaround works!! After i enabled bluetooth (and the audio instead gets quieter and still comes out of the phone speaker) i just turn off my phone's bluetooth and turn it on again.

Once the bluetooth earbuds connects again, the zoom audio gets sent to the bluetooth earbuds.

Thanks for the info! Hope this helps more people!

This works for me

My phone bluetooth hasn't had an issue.  It's my Windows Bluetooth that doesn't work.  At all.  Like if I connect a Bluetooth headset either before or during a zoom call, then it works for about 5 seconds after which I stop getting audio and a popup appears on the system tray saying "no audio devices found" and in order to continue the Zoom call I have to connect via my phone otherwise I look a right plonker.  On my laptop, it is sometimes possible to switch the bluetooth device off and get Windows to find other audio devices again, but it takes far too long to be viable during a conference call.

So Zoom has a problem with Bluetooth.  if the problem has managed to extend from windows laptop to phone, then it's a pretty serious problem.

Hey hey!! Great post, most helpful!! Totally solved the problem!! Easy to understand troubleshooting instructions!! Thank You!! 😀

No, my friend. Not in my case. 

Patton
Listener

For anyone who is having this problem, I strongly recommend that you submit a support ticket.  Eventually, if enough support tickets get elevated to the developers, perhaps zoom will figure out that it isn't my specific phone, or yours, or that we each has something wrong with our hardware.  Instead, they will see that this is a bigger problem.

To submit a support ticket, there are a couple of steps:

First, go to this site: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362003-Zoom-technical-support

Once there, click on the annoying chat bot icon.  It is a waste of time to tell it the real problem.  (I tried) It simply isn't sophisticated enough.

Instead, ask the chat bot to "Submit a support ticket" 

Next. It will ask you where, make sure you say support.

Then it will ask about what . . . It becomes self explanatory from there.

Finally, remember that posting in the community forum is NOT tech support.  We cannot expect the developers, the folks who will fix this problem, to read this forum.

sdskip
Listener

Same problem on Android Z Flip (new phone).

Ticket submitted.

Did you get any results? My issue is the same on a Google Pixel 3A. It used to send to the Bluetooth speaker and then a couple of weeks ago, it stopped working. I don't even get the Bluetooth symbol when I click on the speaker icon in the upper corner. 

Nope. Nothing said in this thread has been remotely helpful in solving this issue. Not to mention that this is one of the clunkiest interfaces I've ever seen for replying to messages.

hminney
Listener

This is clearly going to run and run.  No, Zoom doesn't work with Bluetooth on all devices.

1) my bluetooth headset works with Windows.  It works fine with MS Teams, GoToMeeting, Google Hangouts, and for dictation and playing music

2) my bluetooth headset is detected by Zoom.  The microphone works fine with Zoom

3) the bluetooth speakers (ie the ear pieces on the headset) don't work with Zoom.  When I select them, either by selecting "use same as system" or by selecting them specifically, Zoom says it's playing the test sound (or my friend carries on talking) but no sound come to the headset.  Which works, as I said above, with everything else from Windows

I wonder if Zoom is going to fix this?  I've been trying different "solutions" for a couple of years now and it's tedious and annoying.  No wonder MS Teams has had to become my video calling solution of choice - not because it's easy for others to access, but because I can use my headset which I can't with Zoom.  I have to use a bulky USB headset whenever I'm on Zoom.

Luv2Zoom
Listener

SOLUTION: or work around.

I have an S22 Ultra. I turned off Bluetooth. Turned off my buds. Rebooted my phone. Started my Zoom meeting. Then turned on BT and then my buds. Success! Zoom is now using my earbuds.

Perhaps another app has control of the BT device and Zoom can't take control to use it.

I think the distinction might be that your earbuds have a microphone and thus have bluetooth headset mode (or whatever it's called).  Due to echo canceler software issues there are problems with using any bluetooth audio output which doesn't have a microphone built in to it.  I feel like Zoom probably specifically disables this because they don't want to have to deal with echo cancelation.

Thank you SO MUCH. I would like to report that we have a Samsung S21Ultra with Earfun Free Pro 2 earbuds. They have worked for everything EXCEPT Zoom since about the beginning of 2022. They work perfectly well with everything else. So it was definitely something about Zoom not working.

We followed the Luv2Zoom instructions:

1) Turn off Bluetooth

2) Turn off earbuds

3) Reboot phone

4) Start Zoom

5) Turn on Bluetooth

6) Turn on earbuds

That works perfectly for Zoom.

Thank you so much!!

yeah have same issue.. by changing step 3 by force close zoom.. didn't change anything.. seem zoom remember the setting even the bug miss direct sound..

thanks for the suggestion. unfortunately it fails too readily. for example, if you get a phone call during the meeting, even if you decline it, you are no longer on bt audio and cannot get back. it's just horribly broken; something that works for every other app I deal with.... unbelievable.

jianwu
Listener

Same problem for Xiaomi Mi 10. All other apps works well with bluetooth. Only zoom doesn't work. And when zoom meeting is running. All the other apps's audio will also stop working with bluetooth. I have to end zoom meeting to let other apps to connect to bluetooth again. All the suggestions above doesn't work at all. It's obviously a bug that messes up the bluetooth. Which causes big in-convenience.   

brucew
Listener

Over two years of using Zoom I've never been able to get Zoom to use bluetooth speakers or earbuds from any Android device.  The speaker option that is shown during a meeting just switches to using the phone's earpiece instead of the speakers.  Currently this is on a Samsung S20 FE 5G.  They've clearly done some tricky audio programming instead of using standard APIs since all other programs (even very simple ones) that I use all switch to the earbuds when they connect.

I'm happy to assist in testing if they decide to address the problem.

Try this:

1) Turn off Bluetooth

2) Turn off earbuds

3) Reboot phone

4) Start Zoom

5) Turn on Bluetooth

6) Turn on earbuds

That worked for us on a S21 Ultra.

jockers
Attendee

Since my original post in this thread I got a Galaxy 4 smart watch and now the Android Zoom app behavior is even worse.  The zoom meeting audio still refuses to connect to a bluetooth speaker (no matter how many times I disconnect/reconnect it, tap the audio icon which shows a bluetooth logo, etc).  However, now no matter what I do in software settings I could not get the Zoom meeting audio to NOT play on the smart watch!  I finally had to power off the smart watch so I could even have a chance of adjusting meeting audio settings in the app (which never worked to send the audio to the bluetooth speaker).

Based on this I have concluded the Zoom Android app is functionally unusable.   I hope Zoom product people or software engineers might check this thread at some point, this thread is going on a year with no resolution.

Zoom engineers/product people: the use case for a bluetooth speaker is Zoom all hands meetings where there is zero chance I will need to participate but I want higher quality audio, or need louder levels, than I can get from my phone (or smart watch).

This bug has existed way too long and this kinda shows Zoom's commitment level to fixing things.

However, if you contact Zoom support they will ask lots of questions and eventually ask you to install a test version (via APK file) of their Zoom app that produces more diagnostic info for their engineering efforts. I recommend you request that app and submit logs.

I have this test version of the app installed and waiting to reproduce the issue myself.

exceptionalpm
Listener

Hey Community.   I want to thank you all for helping me understand and characterize this issue with the Zoom Tech team.    When I switched to a Samsung S21 from my S9, I incurred this same issue.   Your detailed notes, help me find a workaround until a real solution could be found.    I've been working with the Zoom tech team for the last 6 months on this issue, and they've finally resolved it.       

To solve this problem, you'll need to install the Android Mobile app version 5.13.4 or higher (currently my version is 5.13.5).     I tried to upgrade without reinstalling, and that did not work.   However, once I deleted the Zoom mobile app, and downloaded the latest version from the Googe Store, it provided me with the latest version.   

Here's what I wrote to Zoom Tech in the final conversation. 

"I tested the Zoom mobile app today with the latest updated version, 5.13.4, and the application worked exactly as expected with the Bluetooth functionality. I had my Bt device on before I turned on the Zoom app, and it worked as expected.   Previously, I had to turn the Zoom app on before I turned the Bt device on to make the Zoom app work.   

I also turned the Bt off and on via the Zoom mobile app and the app worked perfectly versus before that function did not work.    We’re good to go."

ymiller
Listener

The workaround @MaxarAdam didn't work for me. 

BUUUT I found a fix that worked for me! I went to Apps settings on my Android, selected Zoom, deleted the storage (not just the cache) and then uninstalled the app. Restarted my phone, reinstalled the app and voila! It now works.

dgdoug
Listener

I'm not sure I've seen a fix for using zoom on a desktop, but I'm having the same issue with my Bluetooth speaker on my desktop.  Makes no sense.  The speaker works with all applications except Zoom, so I end up wearing wired headphones on Zoom calls.  So, now I have to go back to wired speakers?  

zlee
Listener

I'm having this issue too and unfortunately I've tried all the workarounds everyone's posted here. It was working a few months ago and then just stopped. It won't connect switch to any bluetooth device I've tried--Samsung Buds, Aukey, car radio, nothing.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S20+.

Any other ideas, or news on whether Zoom has acknowledged this as a real issue?

dzianis
Listener

Hello from 2023 and the problem still persists on Android Phone.

That's unbelievable, how long does it take to fix this. It affects the workflow, because we're using phone to stream meetings to the TV and audio to BT Speaker, but speaker is not working.

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @dzianis @zlee @dgdoug can you please elaborate more on this setup, and answer a couple more questions to help me better understand?

- How are you streaming your meeting from your android to your TV?
- What version of Android are you using? Are you running the latest version of Zoom and Android OS available?  

- From Samsung (on galaxy phones running android), seems like (iPhone which I use), you have to option to change Media output(s)? More info here, but are you able to configure and play with those settings to configure outputs/inputs which, assuming is pick'd up by the Zoom application based on your configurations? Trying to think of how this works from your end as I don't have an android to test, but seems similar in functionality, and I don't have issues using bluetooth devices with Apple e.i., external speakers, AirPods, connected via bluetooth.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

Hi!

> How are you streaming your meeting from your android to your TV? 

I've been using two ways. One is by using screen cast, and second one is by using type c -> HDMI cable

> What version of Android are you using? Are you running the latest version of Zoom and Android OS available? 

Android version is: 12

Zoom version in: 5.14.2

> From Samsung (on galaxy phones running android), seems like (iPhone which I use), you have to option to change Media output(s)

I'm using OnePlus.

Interesting fact is that if I play musing from another application, then sound goes to the Bluetooth speaker. But if during music playing I'm entering to the zoom meeting, sound is being switched to the phone speaker.

- How are you streaming your meeting from your android to your TV?

I'm not. I'm having these issues just getting audio to my bluetooth headset or my car audio.

- What version of Android are you using? Are you running the latest version of Zoom and Android OS available?

Android 13, Kernel 4.19.113-25904254

Yes, running latest Zoom and Android OS available. I've had these issues since at least 4 versions of Zoom ago, and two system updates.

- From Samsung (on galaxy phones running android), seems like (iPhone which I use), you have to option to change Media output(s)? More info here, but are you able to configure and play with those settings to configure outputs/inputs which, assuming is pick'd up by the Zoom application based on your configurations? Trying to think of how this works from your end as I don't have an android to test, but seems similar in functionality, and I don't have issues using bluetooth devices with Apple e.i., external speakers, AirPods, connected via bluetooth.

Yes, I see the option to change media outputs. I'm able to switch audio properly for all other applications, such as Google Meet, Podcast Addict, Microsoft Teams, and many more. In the Zoom app, when I click on the output button (the speaker icon), when I choose the bluetooth device, the audio just comes out of the handset small speaker--not even the speakerphone speaker.  

willjoe2442
Participant

Sign in to the Zoom web portal.
In the navigation panel, click Settings.
Click the Meeting tab.
Under In Meeting (Advanced), verify that Allow users to select stereo audio in their client settings is enabled.
If the setting is disabled, click the toggle to enable it.

Regards,

Will

I checked and I already had this option enabled

AndersKvist
Listener

So I just had this issue after a phone update and found the problem to be a permission issue. Checking the Zoom app permissions on my Pixel 6, it revealed that the "Nearby devices permission" were set to "Don't allow", switched it to "Allow" and Zoom worked with my headset again. The fun thing is that it works with everything else, so I guess zoom is doing something special that requires extra permissions, but that they don't check that the app actually have that permission - I would expect 99% of users of the android app would be using a BT device, so if that permission isn't there, the app should give out a warning about it and not waste so many peoples time...

Omigosh, if this fixes it, it would be AMAZING!!! Mine was unchecked, so I turned it on and I'll report back. THANK YOU! 

update: this didn't fix it for me. 😞 on top of that, when i deleted the data option in storage, like i normally had to do in order to get it to work, it toggles this option back off everytime. ARGHHHH

yuridm
Listener

Hello All,
I have had the same issue as many here have.
SOLVED it by granting android permission Nearby devices to zoom app.
Have a nice day.

This worked for me. Thanks for helping me finally fix this!

Hi, how to do this? I can't find the option in my android settings

It's in the app settings not the android settings 

Thanks, that's helpful. Unfortunately, that's already enabled on mine. But, it still won't allow me to use bluetooth-connected hearing aids. I think they must use a different connection method than regular bluetooth speakers.