cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosting Zoom Meetings with 3mbps/.5mbps

eastwest
Listener

Hi there

I just recently moved to a house that only has 3 mbps download and .5 mbps upload speeds.

I frequently host zoom meetings with 20 or more people.

My concern is, I don't want my subpar internet speeds to negatively affect the zoom meeting experience for others. Does the host's speed affect the quality of the meeting for everyone?

If so, the other question is, if I have a co-host with a better internet connection, will their "co-hosting" improve the quality of the meeting. In these meetings I usually have a co-host that has decent internet speeds (25mbps and up).

Thanks for your reply. I know how to use it but I don't know exactly how Zoom works!

Bhima

4 REPLIES 4

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

No, your internet connection only affects your view of the meeting and everyone else's view of your video/shared content. 

If you are presenting and don't need to see everyone's faces, I'd recommend disabling incoming video, which will free up some bandwidth and make the meeting run a bit smoother for you. 

What about if you are the host and you are spotlighting and un-spotlighting people? 

and recording to the iCloud 

ZoomTestKitchen
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

You might also consider sending your presentation file to somebody else in the meeting that has better bandwidth and have them share the deck, while you speak to it. With version 5.8.3 or newer the person sharing a ppt, keynote, or google slides can now pass the presenter control of the slides within Zoom. The feature is called Presentation Control and it works great.

Jeff Widgren
#ZoomTestKitchen

Jeff Widgren | Host of the Zoom Test Kitchen
@ZoomTestKitchen