cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with alternative host function

k8ofarrell
Listener

Hi Community,

I am running into an error with the alternative host function. I have been added as an alternative host to a meeting. In the email that I received inviting me to that meeting, there is a Start Here button. When I click on it to access the meeting, it says the following: 

You cannot start the meeting [#] because it is hosted by another user. 

There is then a button to "Join Meeting as an Attendee". When I click on that button it takes me to the meeting registration page. When I try to register using my email, it says that the host cannot register for this meeting. This seems like an odd loop to be caught in. 

My question(s): Is there a best way to bypass this? Am I missing a step? Is there a way to view all of the meetings that I am added as an alternative host to within the web portal? 

1 REPLY 1

jeremyjustin
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @k8ofarrell thank you for your post here on the Zoom Community! I do have a few clarifying questions if that is ok:

- are you a licensed user and are part of the same Zoom tenant (or main Zoom account) as the host? 

- do you know if you are signed into the Zoom client with your email and password? 

If you were assigned to the meeting when the host scheduled it, you should be able to click the link and start the meeting no problem. But if you are not part of the same account, or if you are not signed into the Zoom client Zoom won't be able to recognize you. 

If these things fail, maybe you can go back to the original host and have them check the meeting in the Zoom portal and just ensure they added you properly. Here is a support article that walks through the details: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/208220166-Designating-an-alternative-host

If this has answered your question to your satisfaction, please click the "Accept as Solution" button below but if not please reply and we can continue the  discussion. Thank you!