cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headphones not working with Zoom... work with other programs.

Crossbow
Listener

Whenever I use Zoom, my headphones don't work, the sound only comes out of the computer speakers.  I've searched for some audio setting that would allow me to use headphone as that seems like the logical problem, but I can't find those audio settings anywhere.  I use Zoom everyday, so it is imperative that I get this working.

18 REPLIES 18

Bri
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @Crossbow, and welcome to the Zoom Community! Could you tell me what type of headphones you're using? Are they wired or Bluetooth?

Bri
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Hi Bri... thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question.  I was able to solve the problem directly with the headphone company.  I wish I could remember what they changed... something in System-> Sound in Windows 11.  I had the headphones plugged into an external monitor, and sound was coming out of both at the same time, or not at all.  To answer your question though, they are Bluetooth 😉

Hi Bri, since you're already working on this one..

I'm having the same issue. My headphones (Infurture H1 noise cancelling headphones) are plugged in, everything else filters through them, but Zoom sounds play as if the headphones didn't exist. I'd appreciate you helping to remedy!

Go to the “unmute/mute” button in the left  lower corner if your zoom video screen when on a meeting. Click the arrow next to the words, it’ll bring up big menu you’ll see you’re headphones listed if they are Bluetooth connected. Click them. It’ll turn them on, this is very late answer but hope it helps 

Thank you so much Rothkara25!  This problem just started for me, and your solution worked wonderfully!

Same issue - works with other programs but with zoom it only works with my computer speakers and microphone...the apple mac system prefs say the audio is coming from my headset (but it's not).  thanks!  -Tim

wired

Hi Bri, I see lots of people with the same problem and I did not see a response.  Is there any update?  I have been having the same issue as well.  Wired headphones that work fine with other programs are not working with Zoom meetings.

Yeah, me too. Surely there's some progress on this over the last 6 months??

Hi Bri and others!
Same issue. Got this Lenovo ThinkPad in fall 2020. Headset came with it. Got through all my classes with it. Mysteriously in November or December the sound stopped - like everyone else said - headset USB is plugged in but sound continues from PC. It's a Logitech headset. 

I've tried settings inside Zoom and inside Windows. I've tried searching for updates. 

Would love to hear more suggestions!
Thanks all,

Rob

I'm having this problem - I'm using Sony bluetooth headphones, model MDR-XB650BT. They worked all last year and now not working on Zoom only. 

trayhart
Listener

I am having the same issue. I am using headphones from an old iPhone that work fine in all other devices with or without an adapter that I use for my iPhone11.  When plugged I get no sound coming from the headphones when on a Zoom meeting though when I use the same headphones for Teams meetings or Pandora or anything else the sound comes through the computer to me through the headphones only, not from the speakers on my laptop.

Kerri1
Listener

Plug in HROEENOI headphones that plug into the USB not wireless and they do no work on ZOOM. I can hear videos playing on headphone but when in ZOOM I can not hear other people speaking through my headphones? I see there are not current answers to this issue?

Bennn
Listener

Is there an ETA for fixing this, or is the answer to use Microsoft Teams instead?

designur
Listener

Neither Sony wired headphones or Bose wired headphones or Apple earbuds work on Zoom

Fauxpaul
Listener

I was having a similar issue most of June 2023. After checking with the help desk and looking up Sony resources for my headphones, I couldn't see anything. Then today I saw an earlier comment in this thread and went to System>Sound> found my device, whose settings and volume were on. Then I clicked on it to see further, and discovered that somehow it no longer had permission to work. Crazy - I never knew that menu existed but somehow the permission got turned off for the headphones. I turned it back on and now everything seems to work.

johnjangn
Listener

I'm having this problem - I'm using Sony Bluetooth headphones, model MDR-XB650BT. They worked all last year and now not working on Zoom only.

Asphalt Nitro MOD APK

Fauxpaul
Listener

Hello all, after trying everything for months with this issue, I found a fix for my own situation so I hope it applies to others. Zoom customer service couldn't help after repeated contact, not could Sony (my headphone brand) or Microsoft. It turns out there's a reset process within Windows which can help - I came across someone who had the same issue, he took a look at my computer and this worked for me too. The issue was in MS settings, which on the surface were all fine. So when your headphones are on and connected, go to Windows Settings, then Bluetooth and devices, Devices, then under Related settings you should see your headphones selected under both the Output and Input sections. In my case, the volumes were in the middle range and everything looked fine here on the surface. This guy told me there is a glitch in MS, and you only need to toggle the volume down to zero in the output section, then return it to the level you want, and it resets the sound on the headphones somehow. It doesn't make any sense, but I did it and that solved my issue! Of course if you don't even see your headphones highlighted here, that would indicate another issue, but at least you could work from there. Hope this works for others!